LG GSA-E20N External Super-Multi DVD Writer

vbimport

I was wondering if there are any reviews of this LG GSA-E20N External Super-Multi DVD Writer on the net. I couldn’t find any…do you guys know something about it? Is it good?

I was wondering if I could just use it as a standalone DVD writer to record from my aerial TV and then play the discs on my DVD set. It would be a lot more cheaper and I would have a fast and better DVD burner. :wink:

LG’s GSA-E20N is much more than a DVD writer because you can also use it for capturing video. In the back of the unit there are four ports for connecting the LG GSA-E20N to different multimedia devices, like a television, camcoder or a digital camera. Also, two more RCA sockets are available for stereo sound, an S-Video connector and a composite port.

LG includes a full software package of Nero Express 6, PowerDVD, PowerProducer Gold and InCD which is all that you need for your day-to-day tasks, but you get another piece of software in the box too. One Touch DVD is a software package which simplifies the tasks of capturing, editing and authoring your movies and it works in one of two modes to make your life as easy as possible.

One Touch DVD offers features like rotation, zoom and transitions that will make your video project to have a professional look. For simplifing the process, the push of a single button will write on a disk your new creation. Also, the GSA-E20N unit has a One Touch button that presents the novice user with a simple interface that has only two self-explanatory buttons. The first handles video recording while the second button is for DVD burning. This function is only available for DVD burning, rather than Video CD and SVCD to ensure that it is as quick, simple and fool-proof as possible. You just slip in a blank DVD, click the two buttons and wait for your finished movie to burn.

The Advanced User mode gives you complete control over the process and allows you to select your preferred format (Video CD, DVD…), the quality that you want (Best, Normal…), the split point for large movie files, video type (NTSC, PAL) and the recording time for TV capture. Once you’ve made your setting selections, you can make your recording by capturing video through the ports on the GSA-E20N or you can import a movie file from your PC. This provides the material for your movie project which is now ready for editing. One Touch DVD provides the Rotate, Zoom and Transition tools that you need to give your video project that professional look and feel, and then you’re ready to click the Burn button and the GSAE20N burns your finished disc.

Specifications:
Write Speed:
DVD-R: 16x
DVD-RW: 6x
DVD-R DL: 4x

DVD+R: 16x
DVD+RW: 8x
DVD+R DL: 8x

DVD-RAM: 5x

CD-R: 48x
CD-RW: 32x

Read Speed:
DVD: 16x
CD: 48x

Access Times:
DVD: 160ms
CD: 160ms

Supported Recording Modes:
Multisession, disc-at-once, track-at-once, packet writing, session-at-once, random access write

Supported Media Types:
CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL

Supported CD Formats:
CD Extra, CD-DA (audio), CD-I, CD-ROM XA, Photo CD, Video CD, CD-ROM, CD+G (Karaoke CD)

Interface: High-Speed USB
Data Buffer: 2MB
Dimensions (W x H x D): 230 x 50 x 160mm

Ok. I just realized that I asked something stupid, because to record an aerial signal I need a Tuner/Decoder which obviously this external DVD recorder doesn’t have.

-Whould it be possible to use a VCR as a aerial signal Tuner/Decoder and then with a scart converter plug it in the DVD-recorder and record?

-And if I don’t have a VCR would it be still possible? Does the TV have an output or only input?

Hi,

I suspect, this is nearly the same as the 5169, but equipped with a H20 series drive.

I was wondering if I could just use it as a standalone DVD writer to record from my aerial TV and then play the discs on my DVD set.
I doubt this. At least you need a computer to operate the unit. And an additional TV receiver to feed it.

-Whould it be possible to use a VCR as a aerial signal Tuner/Decoder and then with a scart converter plug it in the DVD-recorder and record?
This should work.

-And if I don’t have a VCR would it be still possible? Does the TV have an output or only input?
That depends on your TV set. You have to check its manual.

I found a manual for the 5169 on de.lgservice.com - as this basically should work the same way as that E20N, it will give you an overview how the unit works.

As a computer is needed anyway, using a TV card seems to be a better solution - and it might be even cheaper.

Michael

Thanks a lot for the reply! :wink:

I hoped that it was possible to use it without operating it with a computer (that would have been really cool)…heh, I guess it’s not.

A PC, TV card and a normal DVD-writer should do the job.:slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Hi
Is there firmware later than 1.03 for GSA-E20N?

thank you

Por favor, necesito el driver de la LG GSA-E20N. Tengo Windows 7 en mi compu. Gracias. Please y need the driver GSA-E20N, for windows 7. Thanks mmale2011 de gmail.

Drivers for optical drives are part of the operating system for many years. Thus there are no manufacturer drivers needed (and they do not exist for this reason).

The last flavour of Windows that needed manufacturer drivers for [I]USB [/I]drives was Windows 98SE.

Michael