LG GSA-5163D...WOW! What a Drive

vbimport

OK…so as I stated in the NEC forum…the Maddog 16X External USB 2.0 Drive was a BUST! Burning on my laptop with a USB 2.0 drive just isn’t going to work…My last resort was the LG GSA-5163D, which some of you had high confidence in. Hooked it up the minute I got home via USB so I could flash from firmware 1.01 to 1.04. After I rebooted, I tried to burn a Verbatim 16X (MMC04) disk…Around 10X it started to labor and stopped from time to time…so I stopped the burn with CD-DVD speed. Rebooted again…this time hooking up via Firewire…did another 16X Verbatim disk…here are the results…Unbelievable burn…5:40…faster than my Plextor 716A or my NEC 3500…not only is the drive fast…I ran Plextools for quality of burn. On inner I got an EXCELLENT. In the Middle and outer…VERY GOOD! This LG drive burns at the same quality as the NEC on it’s best day…LG has a real winner here…if you want an external drive…this is it…

Thanks Everyone…

Bob

Post some scans. =)

OK…

First burned FujiFilm 8X DVD+R…burned at 8X…then burned Verbatim 16X+R at 16X…all through the 4 pin Firewire port of my Toshiba 5205-S705. Here are the scans…self named…seems to be one missing, but you get the point. Synopsis:

TY inner: Excellent
TY Middle: Good
TY Outer: Good

Verbatim Inner: Very Good
Verbatim Middle: Very Good
Verbatim Outer: Good

Too bad I don’t have a base for camparition. =) I’m not used to Pit/Land distribution testing… all I know the values must be near the green lines. =) Have you got a example of a bad burn ?

only use Verbatim and TY…can’t really give you a bad burn…with the LG, my Plextor 716 or NEC 3500…no coasters…mostly good burns with good media. Try the Plextor forum before the 716 firmware 1.05 came out…

For test purposes…I did a backup of a DVD movie. Used DVD Decrypter…and DVD2One to shrink to DVD 4.7GB…then burned with Nero 6.6.0.13 and Verbatim 16X DVD-R. Total burn time 5:47…burn slowed to 14.5X toward the last 20% of the burn…but it came out Excellent: