LG GSA-5160D won´t burn or recognize DVD´s

Hi, I own a GSA-5160D everything was going fine with burning cd´s and dvd´s untill i installed a game with Starforce protection on my system, since then my drive doesn´t burn or recognize dvd discs. I´ve updatet the firmware to the latest version and still doesn´t work, tried the drive in another computer with the same result: the LED flashes for quite a while and the disc spins but it won´t go any further!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: Can anyone help me with this!! Thanks

Ricardo Oliveira

Hello Ricardo and welcome to the forum.

Did the other system you tried the drive on also have starforce installed on it?

No, the other system didn´t had SF drivers. I´m confused because the drive can read/burn cd´s but won´t do the same with dvd -R… but it detects dvd -Rw!!! :confused: :confused: Can you help please?! Thanks

I have the drive connected with firewire, does this use DMA?! Sorry if it´s a stupi question, i´m a newbie on this…!! Thanks

This might help…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=186231&highlight=starforce

Anyway, try to connect your drive directly to IDE and see what will happen.

Hi pejakm, i have opened the drive and inspected for dust or strange particles inside… didn´t saw anything alarming. I disconected the IDE cable with no problem but the power plug it´s tricky to remove, it´s stuck or “glued” into the back of the drive!
I ran some tests with speeddrive of Nero and it recognizes some types of media but the data transfer results are way down (average speed 2.4)… Those Starforce bastards killed my drive… :frowning: :frowning:

Hi there once again… Do any of you guys know where i can buy a replacement laser for this drive?! Any online tech shop?! Or it doesen´t worth the effort??! Thanks CD Freaks Nation

Don’t think anyone sells those, unfortunately. This sounds fairly silly but perhaps you might want to try cleaning the lens of the drive. If possible, don’t use a cleaning disc but if possible open up the internal drive itself and clean the lens with a q-tip and some alcohol.

The other thing you can try is to regrease the rails on the drive. It might not be of any help but if you open up the drive to clean the lens, you might as well do that as well. See here for instructions :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=158612

And if none of that succeeds, don’t throw the external case away! As I understand it, that is essentially a prolific chipset external case. You may be able to just buy a new internal drive and connect it up in the case and get an external writer out of it. I’m not sure it will work but internal drives are a lot cheaper than external ones and there are now very few external writers with firewire support now. Worst comes to the worse, you end up with a new internal writer. It might be worth a shot. Even better if you have another system with an internal writer now. You can just connect it up and see if it works.