Lg Gsa-4167b

I have recently purchased the LG GSA-4167B multi-drive and all is well except that the drive will not burn to lightscribe media. The drive burns DVDs and CDs fine. I have installed the drive and updated the firmware as suggested on the LG website. I have also installed the latest drivers from lightscribe.com I am running Windows XP Professional. The drive is attached as the master with another CD burner drive as the slave. I am trying to burn a label that was created in SureThing CD Labeler 4SE and the program returns the following message “There are not LightScribe” devices found on this system. I have tried to burn a label with the demo of the latest version of Nero and the same thing happens. I have also tried the following:

Choose Start > Run. Type “regedit” in the Open text box and then click OK.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\allocatecdroms

Change the valuation of 1 in 0

So far nothing has worked and LG has been of little help. The lightscribe service is also running as I checked this via services.msc I also have the Antec Phantom 500 power supply. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

It isn’t a lightscribe burner.

4166B is a lightscribe burner. But I gotta say that I’ve found several pages on the internet where you can clearly read that 4165 and 4167 are lightscribe. I think that LG announced 4165 and later 4167 as lightscribe, but in the end they give up of that.

Maybe there are some prototypes of 4167 that supports lightscribe technology…

It isn’t a lightscribe burner.

Correct, and that’s why it sells for nearly half the price of the GSA-4166B. The drives use two completely different hardware platforms, so it’s not something you can fix with firmware.

The retail box for the GSA-4167B makes no reference to LightScribe support.

If the vendor claimed the drive supported LightScribe you should seek a refund.

Brother Vlad

There was some confusion when these drives were first released. Several sites reported incorrectly that the 4167B had lightscribe support and some did not. Some of the sites which correctly reported that the 4167B did not have lightscribe support instead wrongly reported that a model known as the 4168B would be the lightscribe equivalent of the 4167B. Believe me, we are all very confused then. When the 4166B appeared, people were expecting a different model instead and things just got more messy.

Things eventually got sorted out, but there may still be a few of those websites around with incorrect information floating around. LG’s own websites have been known to list incorrect information about their own drives sometimes.

Burners that support LS have this mark on it’s front side: