LG GSA 4167B - Which discs?

Hi

I have had this drive for a few months now, but have yet to find any dvd discs that it recognises.

I updated the Firmware to DL13.

I have tried using Nero and NTI but the following happens:

Memorex DVD-R 16X - Got the message: No Disc in drive.

LG DVD+R 8X - It recognises and burns, but can’t read from the ‘burned’ disk in any drive!

So I have just tried Some Verbatim DVD-R 16X Certified discs. After a few minutes the drive gives up trying to recognise the disc and i just get the message: Drive Busy! (even though its not!)

Reading and writing CD’s is fine.

I don’t know what to try next. :confused:

Anyone else had the same problem?

If you have problems only with DVD and not with CD, is probable that your drive is damaged.

To exclude a software or a configuration problem, can you try to install this drive on a different computer?

Some people had problems with this burner because of an insufficient PSU, so check also your PSU.

Check also cables: 80 wire cables are not an absolute must, but they don’t hurt, so if you can, use a 80 wire cable.

Finally, check also if DMA is enabled (DMA is a must with DVD burnings)
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

I think, if I’m not mistaken, that involved not recognising discs, too. Check Geno’s suggestions first, but you also might want to check that drive in another PC.

I’ll try and dig up a link to the PSU thread, so you can judge for yourself. :slight_smile:

Edit: 4167 and PSU Thread.

It may not be the culprit, but it’s worth reading nonetheless.

ooops… :o

You’re right

Thanks for that guys. I have check the DMA and it is enabled. I will try it in another PC and see what happens.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Let us know if you solve the problem :iagree:

What version of Nero did you use?

It was Nero Express 6

If you’ve got version 6.6.x.x, it should work properly from what I recall.

I’d agree with Arachne’s suggestion - try and test that drive on another system, because from the sound of your symptoms, it’s beginning to look a lot like that PSU problem.

Have just tried it in another PC and it works fine. I only tried it with the Verbatim DVD-R 16X discs and it recognised them almost straight away! So it must be the PSU problem, although both the PC’s are using a 250V PSU.

Yo-

For best results - use a psu that is at least 400 [I]watts[/I] and has an efficiency rating of 70% or better - dual 12v rail preferred-
(I personally am using a 500 watt dual channel psu in my work rig below - mainly 'cause [I]both[/I] the LG and the BenQ are known power hogs as is my eVga video card)

Mike

In this case the problem in question has nothing to do with the number of watts provided by the PSU - it appears to be a ripple problem with the PSU (see the link in Arachne’s post above). There are people who have run into the same problem with a 450W PSU (Antec). On the other hand, I have the same drive installed on a system with a 250W PSU and it works fine.

Agreed there. My own 4167 is installed in a PC with a PSU of no more than 300W, if that (a 5 year old eMachine). No problems here :slight_smile:

The simplest thing you can do if you own both systems is to swap PSUs! Otherwise, you’re looking at the capacitor trick mentioned in the link in Arachne’s post. It’s cheaper than getting a new PSU but involves soldering work.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I was thinking of upgrading most of the system at some point, so might leave it till then.
Thanks again

I have the same problem with the same DVDRAM and with the same firmware update. Seems to burn OK but cannot read from disc.
My OS is XP Pro. Just don’t know what to do next.

I have the same problem with the same DVDRAM and with the same firmware update. Seems to burn OK but cannot read from disc.
My OS is XP Pro. Just don’t know what to do next.
Regards
Sabu05

My problem cured itself when I increased my from 256 to 512mbts

I have the same problem. Since I bought this drive, I haven’t been able to burn to the DVD-R discs I’ve tried - TDK, Taiyo Yuden, and Maxell. The computer reports there is no disk present. However, it can read the same disks after I burn them with an old LD GSA-4040B. I haven’t tried burning too many DVD+R. But I can burn Memorex DVD+R fine. There are no problems burning CD-R’s. Flashing to the latest FW doesn’t change anything.

Originally, I thought it I just got a bum unit so was about to turf it and buy an LG GSA-H22N. Now that I see I am not the only one with this problem, I’m wondering if this is a problem with this particular model. Is there a fix??