LG GSA-4167B Burning and Reading Troubles

Recently, maybe 5 days ago or so, I have tried burning some DVDs on my LG GSA-4167B. They went through the burning process, one a video DVD and one a data one. I tried to read on them the same DVD burner, and what happens is it waits for one minute and then shows the DVD RAM Drive as a CD Drive, and not playing or showing the contents. The weird thing is that they show fine on a Dell laptop, but the video does not play on the DVD Player connected to the TV. I was recently installing some programs dealing with converting video files into different video files, but other than that, nothing else.

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware, but it doesn’t change anything. I know the the region is set up fine, I am just confused since this just started happening, and how it can burn on a writer and only be read on a different reader. I have been searching the net and saw others with similar cases, but none of them that I saw had any resolutions. Any help would be great because I am totally clueless as to what to do now.

EDIT:

I have also tried burning them each three times, but no luck and no change. I am still on my original DVD+ stack, so it is not the media.

Oh, also, the DVD Player will not read ones that I burned previous to this either, but it will read normal DVDs and CDs.

EDIT 2:

I am using Nero Express 5.5.10.30 for the Data DVDs, and DVD Decryptor 3.5.4.0 for the Video DVDs.

Can you test the 4167B in another computer. This is a really good test to sort out if it’s the burner or some other problem. If possible try to use another computer in which you know the PSU is really top notch, as PSU incomatability has be a developing issue with some drives of this model.

hi , i’m new here

i’m encountering the same problem as Chirmaya (just today in matter of fact),it can’t read/recognize blank dvd or the one burnt by it today( the ones burnt by it previously works fine)

What i would like to know is that since it’s been fine for almost a year now and this problem only just occur, does the PSU problem still apply to it as it’s alittle troublsome for me to test it on another pc.

I actually am not able to test it in another computer, so that does hamper me. I just have these things to test with: This computer, a laptop, a portable DVD player, an XBox 360, a PS2, a slim PS2, and a DVD player connected to my TV.

I doubt that.

Why? That is exactly what I use, so I have no clue as to why you doubt that.

EDIT:

Oh, I remember installing a new video card with new drivers lately, though that shouldn’t mess anything up, right?

Do you really use Nero 5.5 with your 4167 drive? Or do you just use it for creating images? As far as I remember, the last LG drive supported by Nero 5.5 was the 4160.

Your drive should have come with Nero 6.6, if you bought a retail version.

Michael

That version of Nero is the last CD that I have, and I am pretty sure my drive came with one, though not 100%. I remember buying it in a case that has some Pine company or something, doesn’t look like the case shown on the site for the drive, but whatever. Even then, having the older version doesn’t make a difference seeing as how it will burn just fine and show the data to the laptop, the drive that burned it just cannot read it.

Hello Chirmaya and welcome to the forum.

Windows showing the writer as a CD drive is a bug in Windows. It uses the same drivers for CD and DVD drives, so it tends to treat them as the same thing. That is why it shows your writer as a CD Drive. It doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with the drive. Windows shows the same thing with my 4 writers, and they all work fine.

As for the problem of the disc not playing, try running DVD playing software manually and see if the disc will play. Something like VLC (http://www.videolan.org, freeware) will do the trick. See if that works.

So from what I can tell, none of the DVD video discs you have burned can be played on your DVD player? Did you try booktyping/bitsetting them to DVD-ROM with DVD Decrypter? It’s possible your DVD player will only recognised DVD+R discs if they are booktyped to DVD-ROM first.

Attempting to play that drive under VLC didn’t work, though it worked fine on a regular DVD. I tried a previous successful burn and that didn’t play either. The failed ones didn’t play on the DVD Player, but ones that I have burned previously do, as well as on the XBox 360.

I have no clue as to how to booktype/bookset something, though I searched DVD Decrypter without luck.

I burned another Video one, the same one, and it is seen in the drive and browsable through the video_ts and audio_ts directories. I tried under VLC and it didn’t work, but it brought me to the main screen and froze when I tried DVDXPlayer. When I take it out and put it back in, I cannot browse through it.

EDIT:

DVDDecrypter gave me this after the burn:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL13 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 1,902,480
Size: 3,896,279,040 bytes
Time: 422:48:30 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 8x, 8x, 12x

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: MAXELL-002-00
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,099,087
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Might there be some software (aside from drivers) that could be affecting the writing/reading process of the DVD Burner? I would really like to find out how I can go about fixing/finding the cause of malfunction of mine.

Might there be some software (aside from drivers) that could be affecting the writing/reading process of the DVD Burner? I would really like to find out how I can go about fixing/finding the cause of malfunction of mine.

You could try another PSU, it’s helped lots of other people with similar problems on this model drive.

How does the PSU affect it? If it is getting enough energy to read and write, however badly, doesn’t that mean that it is fine? Or is my new video card draining all of the power?

The main thing that I do not understand is why a laptop would read the discs when the burner, portable dvd player, and regular dvd player won’t.

Some 4167B’s suffer from a problem related to the PSU of the system you use. Look in the FAQ for more information.

I read that, so I thought maybe if everything wasn’t loaded up, it might work. I went into safemode and did a burn that took 50 minutes. I placed it on 4x though the average was 1.3x. I took the disc out, then put it back in and it read fine, so I just went back into regular mode and still couldn’t read the disc. I am just going to try going back and reading another disc in safe mode.

Okay, all of the other DVDs work fine in safe mode, so now I wonder if it is a software issue, or still a power issue.

Safe mode uses basic MS drivers, it’s possible you have installed an IDE driver that was designed for your motherboard IDE controller that is at fault. Try using the default MS IDE driver.

I have the “NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller” with the driver date at 5/13/2002, will try the standard dual-channel listed.