LG GSA-4166B not detecting DVD/DVD-R/CD-R

Hello, I’m having a problem with my LG GSA-4166B DVD/CD Rewritter.
I haven’t had any problems with it until a few weeks ago. The drive will detect CD-ROMs, but it will not detect blank CD-Rs, DVD-ROMs, or blank DVD-Rs. It will not automatically detect them, and any software that I use states that there is no disk in the drive.
I have a DVD/CD player set to slave which is connected to it through an IDE/ATAPI connector (I’m not sure which one it is). The DVD writer is above it and set to master. The DVD/CD player functions fine and will play both dvds and cds.
I have updated the firmware of the DVD burner to 1.02. I have Windows XP Home version SP2.

Can anyone please help me? I really need to get this fixed soon. Please keep in mind that I don’t know too much about the master/slave setting stuff and would need some explanation on that if that’s what you think the problem is.
Thank you in advance.

check your ide cable first, make sure its an 80 wire, also try unistalling everything under ata/atapi controllers, restarting pc, and check the drive is running in DMA mode

I’m not sure how to uninstal ata/atapi controlers, and Im not sure what DMA mode is. Sorry, but could you explain how to do this in a bit more detail? I don’t know very much about hardware

I am also the owner of one of these drives and I have just noticed that I have exactly the same problem.

There seems to be a number of people on this forum having similar issues with this drive under various threads. It appears to me as if this issue might be due to some OS change that is causing a conflict with the drive.

Drive is giving lots of event log errors when playing commercial games DVD’s
i.e.

An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period.

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

I was able to install Prey from DVD yesterday but got several error messages saying that I didn’t have the right permissions to copy the file. If I did Retry then it continued onwards. The whole installation process took much longer than I would expect.

Yeah, it seems like something like that could be the case.
I e-mailed the support people at LG over the weekend; maybe I’ll get a reply of some kind by the end of the week… (and a real solution three months from now.)

Hello Burnface and a belated welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What to do with DMA mode and IDE drivers :

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

I checked the items under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controlers, and they all seem to be running in DMA mode. You recommended uninstalling everything under there, but wouldn’t that delete everything on my hard drive? I’m sorry, I really don’t know how this relates to my DVD burner, I’m pretty clueless on this advanced hardware stuff.

No, you’re just removing the drivers for the hard drive, not the contents of the hard drive itself. Hard drives and DVD writers are both IDE devices, and so both use the same IDE drivers. We think there may be something screwy about the IDE drivers which is why we want you to remove them. Don’t worry, they will get replaced with new ones for you.

What in effect will happen is this : after you remove those drivers, windows will ask you reboot the system. Go ahead and do so. Once the system boots back up again, windows will detect that your hard drives/DVD burner have no IDE drivers and will install its own default IDE drivers.

After that, see if it solves your problem.

I agree this must be some widespread problem as my drive started doing this as well. Hopefully someone will come up with a fix soon.

We have just the same problem with the same drive, but with fedora core 3 linux. Looks like this is a common problem with this drive. Our drive worked fine 1 year. I assume this is a hardware problem in the drive itself. Has anyone got any feedback from lg support?

I emailed lg and they just told me to make sure I had updated the firmware on the drive which it already had the current version. I searched their support site and wasn’t able to find anything. I haven’t even had the drive for more than a couple months and have only used it once or twice for DVDs. I’m pretty sure its just a driver issue since it has no problem reading regular CDs so…

Not necessarily so. See, there are separate lasers for reading/writing to DVDs and CDs. So it is possible for just one of those lasers to die. That would leave you with a drive that only reads/writes to CDs, if the DVD reading/writing laser died.

It is still possible that this is some sort of software issue but there is no way to know unless you can connect the drive to another system and test it there.

True but I only used the DVD portion of it like twice and normally it should take a lot longer to wear out a DVD laser…but thanks for the idea I definitely will test it on another computer.

yeah, im having the same problem

i got the AnyDVD program and it didn’t help.

this sort of thing really bites, especilally if one is not too savy…

i did what was suggested above… and the drives said ‘dma if available’.

so i don’t know what to do now. i feel really stuck as the guy at the computer shop told me that this was the best DVD drive and i paid top dollar… now it doesnt play any of the new DVDs making my trip to the rental shop a problem

thanks for all info, anyone else???

I am having the same problem and I have only had the drive since april. I can play cd’s and open dvd disks with files on them, even play burned dvd’s, but not originals and can’t burn dvds. It sounds like it is a piece of crap. I am going to go back to the store and see if they will give me some sort of replacement.

sir
i have the same problem , but the drive will detect files on my dvd at first time when i boot the system after a long time shutdown(soon the problem arises on further dvds When the drive get heat up )
is there is any solution for that ??..
my drive model is GCC-4521b
one thing more
I can’t set the DMA mode on my system (From control panel)
is there is any registry keys that directly manupulate it
thanks in advance

:clap:This is my first post and I am pretty excited about this thread. I just bought a JVC MG 330 hard disk drive camcorder and shot one minute of video and hooked up to the computer and the DVD burner spit the disk out and it said burning was aborted. Three new disks – same results. Tried to do a data storage to DVD using nero. The drive spit the disk back out. My wife tried to burn a movie as she has done dozens of times. The drive spit the DVD disk out again. Frustration level rising!!

Goggled DVD burner problems and got this site and signed up. This thread looked promising. The post concerning two separate lasers for CD and DVD caught my attention. I know my E drive (lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1633S) can burn CDs because I did it just last night. I know it can also read CDs because I did it earlier today. Just before this post I grabbed up a movie and put it in the E drive. Wham!! Two different software players (real player and nero) gave the same message that they were not seeing anything in the drive. I also have an F drive that is just a DVD Rom drive that plays the movies OK.

I think bottom line My DVD burner is hosed. My 5-year old Gateway has a rounded front on it so I’d like to find one to match it. It looks like maybe I can jury-rig this one off this drive and onto another one. Now I must do a little research on this site to see what internal burner I may want to try to get. That talk about some sort of ribbon has me concerned because it may be that? I am NOT a computer person. When drivers are talked about, it goes over my head. Before I retired, I used to take the computer guru to lunch regularly so he would keep me at the top of his to-do list. I am feeling a lot better than I did 30 minutes ago!! Wow-hoo

Charlie D.