LG GSA-4163B with Imation i-crystal +R 16X problem

Hi All :bow:,

First of all, sorry 4 my bad English :frowning:

The problem is my LG GSA-4163B cannot read ALL of imation i-crystal dvd that i had after successfully burned. i tried all of imation i-crystals dvds that i burned b4 yield the same result. My winXP keep asking to insert CD. Tried different pc also got the same errors (no files).

I have tried everything like reboot PC, unplug-plug IDE cable (dvd ram not share with other devices), update firmware, uninstall from control panel also did not work. Weirdly my burner can read other brand that i had . I am using nero 7.

Please help me,

could i retrieve the data from dvds? What actually the problems? Is the dvds or the burner? I had 50 from this brand. well, multiply by 4Gb equivalent to almost 200G of backup data LOST :doh:.

PLEASSSSSEEEEEE HELP !

Below is the burner spec:

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.6.1.6
VENDOR : HL-DT-ST
MODEL : DVDRAM GSA-4163B
REVISION : A106
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
SERIAL NUMBER : K0555B14114
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 1
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : YES
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 40
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 40

My 4163B was a terrific burner, but not such a good reader. There’s a chance it just doesn’t like the discs.

To be sure, do you have a friend with a different drive, that you could try the discs on?

Hi Arachne, thanks 4 the fast reply…:clap:

I did try other PC, have to go to explorer and click to cd rom icon, explorer display blank. BTW, icon on explorer changed from dvd-ram to cd rom when i insert imation, but with different brand, icon is dvd.

Is this a clue or something? Have any idea?

No idea, except that if you’ve tried it on 2 PCs, and neither one will read the discs, then in this case it looks like the media which is the problem.

What you could try, is trying to read the disc(s) on the second PC with either ISOBuster or ISOPuzzle, and see if either program will recover the data. :slight_smile:

Hi Arachne, sorry 4 late reply

i tried isobuster/isopuzzle from other pc…with no luck (media is blank)…some could be ‘read’ but dunno what to do next…

Oh dear, that’s not good. :frowning:

Last resort before considering the data lost completely, would be to see if you can find a buddy who has a LiteOn or Samsung drive, and see if that will read the discs.

One of my friends had a disc which he couldn’t read, and I tried all my drives with no luck - until I tried my Samsung drive, which read the disc, and I could get the data back for him. It’s worth a shot if the data on the discs is important. :slight_smile: