LG GSA-4163B Super Multi DVD Burner

vbimport

Excellent review again!!! Is this the new No.1??? and the Benq 1620 goes to 2nd place??

I just posted the article LG GSA-4163B Super Multi DVD Burner.

LG '“ South Korea was kind enough to send us their latest DVD-writer the LG GSA-4163B Super multi DVD Writer. This drive supports 16x DVD+R/-R writing, 8x DVD+RW, 6 DVD-RW, 5x DVD-RAM and 4x DVD+R9 DL writing technology - allowing dual layer discs of 8.5Gb to be written.

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/70-LG-GSA-4163B-Super-Multi-DVD-Burner/](http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/70-LG-GSA-4163B-Super-Multi-DVD-Burner/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I am very impressed with this and I should be receiving my 4163B today. Though it does not completely eclipse BenQ because it does not support +RW bitsetting.

They are both good drives. The LG is faster, supports more formats and has good quality. The BenQ on the other hand has much better media compatibility and overspeeding abilities along with great quality as well. + it has pretty good media testing abilities. But you will not go wrong with any of these drives - but remember, the LG is brand new, and we hope benQ and other manufacturers has something new in their pockets soon as well…

I’m sure they could rectify that in a firmware update. It’s surprising why and for what reason they left it out. The drive is very nice though. The added support of dvd-r dl would be sweet.

could you please comment on the noise the drive makes? It would be perfect if you could compare that noise to the BenQ 1620, the NEC3520 and the Plextor 716A! I’m about to buy one of these 4 drives in the next weeks and have a hard time decideing which one to get. But sinde I want to put it in an SFF it’s gotta be as silent as possible. Cheers, Mookie

Maybe I’m answering too late, but better late than never. Noise in DVD writers is often decided by the speed regardless of drive. There’s no drive that records at 16x silently unless it starts from 4x and ends at 8x and still calls it 16x. Because GSA-4163B is the ONLY P-CAV 16x DVD writer, it is possible that it makes the most noice in 16x DVD recording. Look at the writing graph and compare it with those from other 16x DVD writers. Though I have many other 16x DVD writers myself, I don’t really know which is the most silent. Sometimes I feel LG is the most silent. Sometimes I feel Pioneer is. Surely not Lite-On.

Very complete. I especially appreciated the scans of a wide variety of media and the attention to detail.

Wow!! What a perfect, thorough review. Thank you. I looked all over on the net trying to find a review, but only found it here. I had doubts if I should buy this drive or not. Now I’m convinced I can get get it. :g

Great article a little technical but overall well written. I brought the drive because of the price and I am very happy with it.:x:+

Perhaps a good drive for DVD/CD writting, but in this review, apart from mentioning “digital audio connector” (intro page), there is no mention that the digital audio signal (SPDIF) is actually not present. I purchased this drive and sold it back 6 hours later because of that. The digital-like connector on the rear side is labeled “Reserved”. The connector is simply unconnected inside the drive. Ough, back on the beginning. I have to read reviews again in order to find another one with similar pros / cons, which hopefully has SPDIF output physically present (and similar or up to 30% more price). Cristi

I’d like to add that the read noise (especially interesting when playing DVD film) is very low. Rainer

lol U use spdiff why on earth cant you just use software that can playback the Cd-audio data on the disc through the data conection. Thats the best way really anyways. Pleb

hi my computer totaly needed a reinstall n now my dvdram isnt loading in mycomputer window i need to reinstall the firmware from the original disk or somethin is there a link to get the original software for the LG GSA 4163B ir the disk iso would be best i moved to 100 mile about 700 km from where i was and my disk is back there with some stuff at family’s house so if u can help would be much apreciated thanx :wink:

POZDRAWIAM WSZYSTKICH CO MAJA LG 4163B

super nagrywarki gsa4163b juz 3 rok mam i naprawde działa super bios ma ver a 106 POZDRAWIAM RZESZÓW

xgjoilyv http://wicoaect.com iwphvool tiuvsepy

Please Help i lost the original disk with it i need it for the driver so i can hear dvds

I bought this exact drive about a year ago I love the ease of use. But I have one problem. I bought a new motherboard and hard drive and in the process of loading the computer my grandson accidently broke my software bundle disk for the dvd so now I have no software for it I found the driver online but none of the bundle software. If anyone can tell me where to get a replacement it would be greatly appreciated

Sign up for their newsletter. I did and got version 7 for $6.99. Now thats a good deal. It’s easy to use and so far so good. You would think for the price it would be lacking, but it’s not. It does all the basics and even does Blu-Ray and HDDVD. It’s not my main program, but it’s nice to have on hand, and I like the fact that it isn’t bloated. K