LG GSA 4163B Scans

vbimport

Hello, recently i’m testing my old GSA 4163B to see if i’ve to replace it with a new LG…

I like the 4163B because if i write at 4x, on nero cd speed i have a flat line with no slow down (as the newer drives do).

What do you think about these scans??

First is a DVD-R Verbatim Taiwan at 4x

Second is a DVD+R DL Verbatim Singapore at 2,4x

Good stuff.

[QUOTE=gabri85ct;2063451]
I like the 4163B because if i write at 4x, on nero cd speed i have a flat line with no slow down (as the newer drives do).
[/QUOTE]

This is true; most modern drives do slowdowns and the quality of the written discs is pooer than the LG. This because most drives are designed to write at higher speeds than 4x. My GSA-H62N (which is a Renesas chipset based) can write 4x with no slowdowns and with excellent quality. I don’t know about the Panasonic based ones.

The “slowdowns” are there by design, to improve burn quality. This is sometimes referred to as WOPC - for Walking Optimum Power Calibration (BenQ) - or OHT - for Online HyperTuning (LiteOn) - for example.

[QUOTE=Cressida;2064546]The “slowdowns” are there by design, to improve burn quality. This is sometimes referred to as WOPC - for Walking Optimum Power Calibration (BenQ) - or OHT - for Online HyperTuning (LiteOn) - for example.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I can see that OPC (the “slowdown”) improve the quality of the burns but only on higher speeds than 4x. All my other burns in other burners that use an OPC mechanism, results in pooer burns than writers that not use OPC at 4x (example the LG). I can even see dark spots on burned media.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2064540]This is true; most modern drives do slowdowns and the quality of the written discs is pooer than the LG. This because most drives are designed to write at higher speeds than 4x. My GSA-H62N (which is a Renesas chipset based) can write 4x with no slowdowns and with excellent quality. I don’t know about the Panasonic based ones.[/QUOTE]

So which chipset has got the GSA 4163B?? Which is the most modern LG drive with a similar chipset allowing me to write at 4x with no slow down?? Yes, mi 4163B is still working well… but for the future i want a similar drive…

Thank you very much

The 4163B is a Renesas chipset LG, the latest in this line is the LG H20N (or H20L for LightScribe). Note that most newer drives are optimized for high speed burning though. You can check Burnsama’s low speed results in the H20N/L scans thread here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/lg-gh20n-l-post-your-scans-questions-here-230408/

Hi cressida, thank you veru much… but which are the differences between H20N, H62N, H55N, H42N and H44N?

Let’s see if my memory is correct:

GSA-H20N: 18x Panasonic, PATA
GSA-H42N: 18x Renesas, PATA
GSA-H44N: same as H42N, marketed as “Vista capable”, PATA
GSA-H62N: 18x Renesas, SATA
GSA-H55N: 20x Panasonic, PATA

OMG, i’ve just done this scan:

DVD+R DL Verbatim Singapore @ 2,4x with LG GSA 4163B.

The only difference with the other of some post agò, is that this one was burned with Nero and the other with CloneCD…

Can Nero make the difference?

I Whish i had a lot of scans like this!!

You’re very lucky to get an excellent burn like that out of Nero, which hasn’t had a good track record. Most people would use ImgBurn. But the 4163B is a solid drive, still have mine. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=KTL;2065110]You’re very lucky to get an excellent burn like that out of Nero, which hasn’t had a good track record. Most people would use ImgBurn. But the 4163B is a solid drive, still have mine. :)[/QUOTE]

So the software can improve the quality?? I usually use CloneCD to burn ISO files, but this time i’ve made a copy of the copy with nero 6 using Copy DVD…

But, the strange thing is that all the oter dvds of the same box have got from about 1200 to 2200 PIF, how can this media be so perfect??

I want all the scans like this!!!

The burning drivers/methods from different software can have an effect on quality, but media plays a factor also. There’s no guarantee that all the scans will be like that.

So it was only a very good media?? One on one million??

However, if i make nother copy of a copy with nero, could i have a similar result??

I mean, if i had burned that media with clone cd, would i have had that result??

No one can respond with a definitive answer, but typically, MKM001/MKM003 media are very well accepted by almost any DVD burners. But it’s up to you to test the media with different software.

Ok, but you are saying that nero is one of the worst program to burn DL media, aren’t you? So it is possible that a perfect scan is thanks to nero??

There are just variations in burning engine and media, that’s what I’m saying. Just do you own tests and determine for yourself. If Nero works out for you, great!

The burning software can certainly make a difference. You seem to be getting great results from Nero, so there is little reason to mess with something else as long as it isn’t broken. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

You are probably not going to get better results with anything else given your current result from Nero…

[QUOTE=Dalen Quaice;2065294]The burning software can certainly make a difference. You seem to be getting great results from Nero, so there is little reason to mess with something else as long as it isn’t broken. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

You are probably not going to get better results with anything else given your current result from Nero…[/QUOTE]

Sorry, i think i haven’t understood very well what you mean (italian) can you explain??

Thank you, you’re very kind :wink:

Don’t change anything. Keep using Nero. Keep doing what you’re doing. Don’t change anything. :wink: