LG GSA 4163B OEM firmware update?

vbimport

Hi,

I’m newbie and just bought (not arrived yet) LG GSA 4163B OEM (not the purple front panel). I also have downloaded the latest firmware (A104) from the internet. The problem is, when i read the “Read Me” file included in this firmware, it say that this firmware update is not for OEM drive. I paste it here:

The drives must be original LG branded drives with the DVD Writer
model number GSA-4163B(no OEM units).

If you have an OEM unit, branded with another manufacturers name,
please contact that manufacturer for support and firmware updates.

I’ve search the internet for firmware update for the OEM unit, but couldn’t find any. So, please help me if anyone here know where can i get this firmware update? Or, is it ok for me to use the firmware (A104) that i’ve already downloaded? I’ve found something called Auto Reset and RPC1 Firmwares… can my OEM burner use it too? Thanks for any help…

p/s: Sorry for my bad English…

My recollection is that LG only has one firmware for their drives, be they OEM or Retail. The warning they post on their website pertains to manufacturers such as Dell who modify the firmware before they install in a system. If your drive is OEM from a reseller it should work with the A104. Be sure to follow the instructions closely.

You could try the RPC1 firmware from here: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1973

I have not used it but I trust these guys. You do, however, void your warranty.

Thanks for the fast reply chas0039… I asked the same question in other forum and still haven’t got any reply… this forum is awesome… i think i’ll try that RPC1 firmware… but, can i backup my current firmware first? Is there any software to do this? Thanks in advance…

p/s: Sorry for my bad English…

I have an all-white gsa-4163b which was sold as bulk but which is more likely to be oem (included all stuff what retail version included but the box). I’ve had no problems updating its firmware with Lg’s official releases.

I don’t know of any firmware dumper for LG but their A104 should work for you if you don’t want the hacked firmware. Also, they seem to have all the older firmware here if you should need it.

Also, they seem to have all the older firmware here if you should need it.

So, it means that I can just install back my old firmware if I got problem with the new one? Cool…

Just one more question, what is the best software (simple interface, like CloneCD for CD) for making one to one copy of DVD? Freeware perhaps…

Thanks for your help…

Hi,

Sorry, one more question, which one should I use, RPC-1 or Auto Reset? Which is better? Or must I use both?

An original formware allows you to change drive’s region code five times and then locks the code. Rpc1 makes your drive completely region free but you also need a program which forks the settings of your OS and programs for it to work. Auto version is like the original version but resets the amount of changes back to five after every reboot thus requiring no extra software support.

Thanks Latexxx for the info… so it is not possible to use both right? Is seems that Auto Reset is much easier method to use…

Auto version is like the original version but resets the amount of changes back to five after every reboot thus requiring no extra software support.

Is it means that the firmware for Auto Reset is kept in the PC (thus requring to reboot the PC) to refresh the firmware to the original state??