LG GSA-4163B media

vbimport

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking around the forum for many hours now and can’t seem to find a good answer. Hence, I can’t resist starting this new thread! In fact, the more I look, the more confused I become. :confused:

Well, basically, I want to buy media for my LG GSA-4163B. I am set upon buying DVD+R discs. I want to primarily burn movies. What do you think?

While considering brands, I think Verbatim are the best for this drive. Any other suggestions? As this drive supports 16x write on DVD+Rs, do you think I should get the Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs?

Also, this stuff about different manufacturers complicates things more! How do you spot good manufacturers? If I buy discs from a website, how can I know whether the discs I get are good real ones or fake? And also, what about disc identifiers? :confused:

I sincerely appreciate your patience! and thank you very much in advice for helping me out. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
bb7 :smiley:

The 4163 burns most any +R well. For movie collections, TY is the most reliable.
Verbatim can vary a lot, and does not burn too well at 16x. TY 8x at 12x works great, better than 16x Verbatim at 12x. If you want to burn at 8x, most anything will work fine.

Hi,

How would I know whether a disc is ty just by looking at it?

Thanks…

It is better to buy form a reputable dealer who sells genuine TY. TY media has a serial number in the dye area of the hub which is viewed correctly from the dye side. For 8X +R it will start with the TG, usually followed by 5 numbers.

It is a shame you are not open to -R media. My LG 4163 burns TYG01 -R better than any other media on any of my drives and I have tested over 50 combinations.

Verbatim 16x DVD+R works very well on my 4163B.

TY 8x or Verbatim 8x and 16x DVD+R media work equally well in my experience, depending on the batch of media you happen to find. I always choose 12x if available, and the LG 4163B should provide that speed for any of these media.

My best results come from TYG02 -R, although they only burn at 8x. Too bad you are minus intolerant. :slight_smile:

Lol cheers guys… well… I am relatively new in the dvd burning minefield… I’ve been more toward building systems and cpus, motherboards, etc… just never got around to the important stuff i guess! If you’ll suggest -R, well then -R it is! I am willing to try anything that you guys recommend… As I said earlier, I mainly want to do films. However, I also want to back up files on my PC. Is it best to use one type of media for films and another for backing up?

Thanks for your continued help… :slight_smile:

Generally, burning is burning so you can use the same media.

I have some sources for TY at a good price. If you want TYG01 4X-R then Meritline and supermediastore and shop4tech have this as TY Valueline.

For TYG02 8X-R and YUDEN000T02 8X+R I have had very good results with Burnmaster TY from Allmediaoutlet.com