LG GSA 4163B - How to use DVD-RAM?

vbimport

I just received my drive and I’m trying to use a DVD-RAM disk with it (this is the first time I’ve used DVD-RAM).

I have a pack of brand new Panasonic 3xspeed disks but I can’t seem to write to them.

Windows says “Windows does not support this format CD-RW. To use this disc, choose the task ‘Erase this CD-RW’…”

When I try to erase (format) it I get:

“Windows cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard”.

How am I supposed to use these things?

If the discs are preformatted in UDF as newer Panasonic DVDRam always seems to be you have to install DVD-RAM driver first. If you don’t you will be able to read only DVD-RAM discs.

Any idea where I can get this driver from?

My drive is OEM and came without any software.

Driver for Win9x/2K/XP: http://download.czechcomputer.cz/LG
Update: http://www.bhacorp.com/download/utilities/dvdram.html

There’s a “DVD-RAM” thread somewhere here.

Thanks all.

Now working fine with the above drivers.

the way I use dvd-ram with windows xp is use nero to do quick erase then i go to my computer and select the disk icon and then right click and go to format menu item. I tell it format with default settings and in while about 30 minutes or so I have 4.7gb removeable disk hehehe

@KenW

This way you get FAT32 instead of UDF. Many are saying UDF is a little faster and this is my impression too.

Yes, that’s my impression too, using Windows XP Pro (SP2).

It only takes about 10 secs to change from FAT32 to UDF with a “quick” format/erase.

Hey, my Windows XP no longer detects my LG 4163b DVD-RW drive…what can i do to rectify this problem?

Since when is your GSA-4163B out of existence in your PC?

I too have this problem… my HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B drive has the yellow exclamation point in the Device Manager.

It says “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)” under the device status…

I just noticed it was gone today, but I know I used less than a week ago…

Grr, I really need to back up my files soon, anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

PS: My virtual drive also disappeared… it says the same thing “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)”

Hi and welcome!

Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123/en-us

Michael

Read this article before posting and I uninstalled/reinstalled it at least ten times, did nothing at all.

I can’t find any updated drivers, anywhere… only firmware updates.

*sighs I honestly have no idea what to do about this, and I really have no idea what’s wrong with it either.

Hi,

there is no such thing as drivers for optical drives. With DVD-RAM drives there might be an exception, as some people installed UDF drivers (from Panasonic or InCD) in order to have better benefit from DVD-RAM.

Okay. Please try this:
First, check the IDE cable, if in doubt, use a new one. Also check jumper settings.
Next, uninstall any burning software including virtual drives. If you installed games that are copy protected, uninstall these also.
Reboot and uninstall the IDE channel, the drive is connected to.
See if that helps after a reboot.

Michael

Hey i’m new to this forum but i’ve been having some serious problems with my LG GSA-4163B drive and would appreciate some help.

1. It registers as DVD-RAM … and yet under properties it is a standard CD drive
  2. It doesn’t read or recognize any disks (CD, DVD etc)
  3. I can’t download any firmware updates because it says it can’t find the target drive

How can I fix these problems or do I have to buy a new drive?

It registers the drive under the device manager and my computer so it must be a setting I do not know that is causing this. The jumper is also set to Master and everything else on the computer works fine.

Please, any suggestions?

That’s normal, as Windows uses the standard drivers for everything.

Check the IDE cable and stuff like that. :wink:

How do you use the UDF instead of Fat32 on your DVDRAM?

Hi,

You need to install 3rd party UDF drivers.

From the FAQ:
[B]9.How do I write to DVD-RAM discs with Windows 98/2000?[/B]

Michael

Thank you. It works now. :smiley: This forum is so damn helpful. :smiley: