LG GSA-4163B DOESN'T WRITE AT 16x

Hello folks,

Before I write this message, I made a search and couldn’t find any answers about my problem. That’s why I am looking for your opinions.

I am not a newbie, so I’ll give enough info about this situation. My LG GSA-4163B DVD writer has never written any DVD faster than 4x up today. But I always blamed the cheap DVD media about this problem. Never suspect the dvd writer. :slight_smile: Yesterday I finished my rubbish dvd medias, and buy a pack of Memorex DVD-R (100 dvd). These are brand new medias and support up to 16x write. When I come home and tried, I faced the same again that bloody 4x limitation.

So I made a little research and find DVD Identifier software then identify these media as CMC MAG. AM3.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AM3]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG. AM3]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Media Code’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘Media Code’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 0Eh - Pre-Recorded Information In Lead-In
0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 84 0d 12 98 99 90 00 .@…R…
0010 : 03 43 4d 43 20 4d 41 00 04 47 2e 20 41 4d 33 00 .CMC MA…G. AM3.
0020 : 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 06 09 0d 14 98 88 90 00 …
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 07 17 0a 0e 09 04 00 …
0040 : 09 95 07 0d 0b 88 88 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 …
0050 : 0b 06 17 15 b8 99 85 00 0c b8 9a 32 03 20 32 00 …2. 2.
0060 : 0d 00 00 d0 00 00 00 00 …

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

And to wipe the questions out of my mind about dvd writer’s firmware version, I upgraded to ver. 106 (the latest). Later on I find another software named MediaCodeSpeedEdit. This was a very useful software that you can have a look at a list that which media with what speed will be used after using that firmware version.

So I loaded ver 106 firmware file to this software and then look for CMC MAG. AM3 inside. Unfortunately can’t find CMC MAG. AM3 definition inside GSA-4163B ver 106 firmware file.

Only these ones as DVD-R

CMC MAG 2x, 1x
CMC MAG. AE1 8x, 4x
CMC MAG. AF1 4x, 2x

And these ones as DVD+R

CMC MAG E01-000 8x, 4x
CMC MAG F01-000 4x, 2.4x
CMC MAG M01-000 16x, 12x, 8x ,4x
CMC MAG R01-000 2.4x

So, here is my question!!!

This dvd writer (GSA-4163B) is capable of writing 16x at DVD-R when required media is available. And also this CMC MAG. AM3 (Memorex 16x) is also capable of 16x write by the proper dvd writer and firmware. So what the hell is going on here??? :slight_smile: Is there any way to write at 16x speed on these medias by this dvd writer?

PS1: Also as a last solution by using MediaCodeSpeedEdit, I import CMC MAG. AM3 media code block to the ver 106 firmware and form my very own custom firmware. Again the result doesn’t change… So I stuck and need help…

PS2: Thanks for your answers…

Welcome to CD Freaks.

If 4x is the fastest you can write at then I suggest you check your DMA status as if the burner is in PIO mode then 4x is about it’s limit.

Honestly, get BETTER media.
Burning that CMC MAG Am3 discs at 16x would be a waste. :frowning:

Since CMC MAG. AM3 MID is not included in the firmware, it means that your drive doesn’t know this disc and how to burn it so it uses the most safe way to burn it.
Even if you don’t have DMA problem it will burn at 4x.
If I remember correct you can rename a strategy of an other media to CMC MAG. AM3 with MCSE but the quality of the burns can’t be predicted.
I strongly recommend you to get other media.

Allright guys…

Thanx for at least replying and sharing your opinions. As I can see, most of you suggest to use another media. So after I read your messages, I checked forums and unfortunately read that Memorex DVD-R medias are piece of crap. Never to be used, stay away from your burners. :slight_smile: Yeah, not the best news today but it’s obvious that what I try to do will be a waste of time.

So, I’ll buy another media in order to write at higher speeds… But which one? I just paid $40 for these craps and I don’t want to get pissed off anymore. Any idea that which media will go better with LG drives?? Tell me and I buy it…

Thanks…

Hi,

Verbatim Super Azo “Made in Taiwan” are known good media, that also do fine in the 4163.

Michael

Don’t forget to check your DMA status though as that could be why you’ve had the general slow burn problem…

I’ll take it as an advice and look for it the market… Thanks in advance…

I checked DMA status for the dvd writer and it’s Multi-Word DMA Mod 2.
This mode seems to be slower than UDMA 2 but faster than PIO.
Not sure, just brainstorming… :slight_smile:

Maybe I should get in to the BIOS setup… I find an article related…

[U]“Just found the problem, in the BIOS set up it shows both my drives but when
I actually go in to the Controller option (Primary Master) the option was
"None” so I changed it to “AUTO” and now the CDRW drive shows up at UDMA
mode 2 transfer rate.

I thought that if it was set to none the the operating system would not be
able to detect it, any way it’s all OK now.[/U]

That drive should be UDMA 2, not Multi Word DMA 2.

Check the link in my sig, “How to check/enable DMA” :wink:

I have run into the same problem for 2 years with my lg 4163B and 4 different firmwares, however it’s always been crap media, my benq 1650 might even spit it back out at me

the lg burns it slow and makes a usable disk

it’s the fastest 16x burner I have ever used

memorex premium media? that what all that advertising claims and that’s what you are paying for

LG intentionally does that with their firmware, it’s too keep you from claiming they build a bad drive when you try to burn bad media

Thanks for the advice but it was already selected as “DMA if available” in XP.
So I get into the BIOS (as mentioned above) and change the IDE DMA mode value from AUTO to UDMA 2.
Now in XP, without doing anything else dvd writer’s DMA mode is UDMA 2.
So our DMA mode is working fine by now…

I don’t hope to receive higher dvd write rates by this trick but who knows…
Anyway, I take every word into consideration.
I will inform you about the progress…

Now your DMA is fixed (nice job!), buy some decent Verbatims as suggested and you’ll be good to go. :slight_smile:

I had that drive, it was my favourite burner for a long time :iagree:

Holaaaa…

I didn’t give up the work and got my reward!

After UDMA Mode 2 fix, one more time I used MediaCodeSpeedEdit and made a custom firmware file. Just because there is no CMC MAG. AM3 definition in the firmware file, I create one and used TTH02 (TDK 16x DVD-R) write strategy instead of CMC MAG. AM3 itself. Now GSA4163B recognizes this media as 16x DVD-R.

Here is the benchmark!!

I’ve already burned a dvd just for test purposes at 16x. No errors received.
But for my safety I’ll burn 8x instead of 16x 'till I finish them. :slight_smile:
And I’ll buy Verbatim and other fine media next time…

I guess, this is the end of our story…

I’d like to thank everyone who enlighten me with their knowledge and advices.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

Perform a real quality scanand post that here.

Quality Scan cannot be performed, because the start button is greyed out…!
You are more than welcome to offer a solution. :wink:

Try a transfer rate test on one of the burned DVDs. That’ll give you a reasonable idea on how it all went.

Well, that’s something I can do… :slight_smile:

Here is the transfer rate test results from Nero CD/DVD Speed…

where did your original firmware come from?

have disabled a riplock?

Pretty good TRT there. Probably not much to worry about then.