LG GSA 4163 bugged out firmware

vbimport

Brought the not so new GSA 4163B and duly downloaded the latest firmware update from the USA site and followed the same install procedures as with my old GSA 4040B. Something has gone wrong getting message: Updating was failed. Please repeat that. (Error data = 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 10 3B 14 00 0C 24 00 00 C0 00 03 00 00 00 00 . No idea what this means…help!

Some people have had problems when the drive is not on the second IDE port as Master with all other drives removed.

I’m getting a 4163b myself on monday. By “with all other drives removed” do you mean that I shouldn’t attach my second harddisk as slave on the same data cable with the Master LG drive?

IF SO, how am I going to connect them? Because my motherboard only has two IDE slots or ports and I have 2 harddisks and a cd-writer on it now. When the new drive comes, I was planning to set it as master, but also place the second harddisk on the same cable as slave. Is there a converter or something like that that would enable both of my harddisks and the cd-writer to be placed on 1 IDE, and the gsa 1463b on the other alone?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Here is the quote from LG:

Connect the drive as ¡°master¡± by it self, on the secondary IDE controller
with no other device on the same IDE cable, making note to set the jumper
on the back of the drive to the ¡°master¡± position.

I don’t think other drives on the primary will be a problem, especially hard drives.

Keep in mind this problem is only for some. I did the extreme the first time with no IDE except the LG. The second time I just disconnected the other optical drive on the secondary cable and all went fine. NEC says to go to the system settings and disable all other optical drives. I generally think this is just to be safe but a lot of people seem to have trouble with the LG unless the instructions are followed to the letter.

Keep in mind, this is only for the firmware update. After you are done you can hook things back up the way they were.

You will need an IDE disk drive controller, but why bother. I would have the two hard drives on the primary and the two optical drives on the secondary with the 4163 as the master. That is what I have and I do not bother to disconnect anything when I update my firmware and everything works all right.
When copying disks make sure that you write an image to the hard drive; ie, do not use 'burn at once", “quick copy” or “on the fly” copy.

Thanks for your help guys. GSA 4163B operational. Some pillock left a DVD in the drive. Hence error message.

Thank you all for your replies.

If you have another dvd/cd drive on the same IDE cable as the LG just uninstall the other one in device manager before a flash, then reboot after the update then the uninstalled one will return and your FW will be updated too!

The other thing I’ve found is that my GSA-4163B won’t accept 16X DVD’s and burn them, it’ll do them at 4X only, but my Ridata 8X’s are recognized and burn fine. The 16X’s are Memorex. A notice on packing for the discs says to burn at 16X you might have to update firmware, which makes sense.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else has encountered this. I’ll burn in the firmware and see what happens. I don’t feel like changing my drive settings on my slave CDR on the same channel so let’s see what happens :slight_smile: I always needed a paperweight if it fries the thing.

If it works I’ll post, if not, I’ll post with some #%#$'s for LG and their dumbass design team for releasing a product that has obvious widespread issues. Sorry I"m already starting my rant, …exiting now to do firmware :wink:

That’s why. Buy reliable and recommended 16x media if you want to burn at 16x.

To begin with, in order to burn at 16x, you need to have a pretty fast system and at least 512MB of RAM. I tried with 256MB and I got coasters with my 4163B at 16x. The same discs (Original Ricoh 16x DVD+R RICOHJPN-R03) burned fine at 16x with 512MB of RAM.

Next, Memorex does not make it’s own discs. It gets other companies to make discs for them and you can never tell who will be making discs for them at a certain point of time. Since discs made by some companies work better than others for most burners, how can you tell what the quality of Memorex 16x discs will be from one batch to another if different batches are made by different companies?

Have a look at these posts for the various made Memorex discs in the market :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=139234&highlight=memorex+16x
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=147368&highlight=memorex+16x

Here is someone else having problems getting Memorex 16x DVD+R to burn at 16x :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=151571

If the MID of your Memorex discs is RICOHJPNR03, then you should probably also know that the quality of those seems to vary quite a bit. I have used discs with these MIDs myself (original Ricoh 16x DVD+R, not a rebrand) and while they can burn at 16x, the burn quality is really not that good.

Here is more information on the variable quality of discs of this media code :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=150895&highlight=memorex+16x
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=133735&highlight=memorex+16x&page=13#post1135492

If you want to get decent 16x burns, get some decent 16x media like Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden or even Sony (I’ve used Sony 16 DVD+Rs and they are decent on a 4163B).