LG GSA-4081B problems

Dear Forumers

First off I’d like to apologize for posting this issue again. I do this since the last relevant post was addressed two years ago and contains no practical solution.

My CD/DVD writer was purchased about two years ago and it started this problem recently (a month ago perhaps).
The first problem is that it can’t read any CD media (empty, burnt or factory original). DVD media is running quite alright.
The second one is that nero splurts out “Focus\Tracking error” at about the end of every burning session (about at 90%). When loading the burnt dvd it works fine.

On the threads I have read everyone says to return the burner to the factory and get a new one using their warrenty (thread here ). I’m out of warrenty and can’t afford to buy a new burner, the only way around it seems to be trying the greasing solution. As i’m not quite of a technical person I’m afraid I’ll screw something up.

Is there any way around it, or is it a fatal situation?

I’d really appreciate a reply.

Regards,
XuMiUm

wrong links, here are the correct ones

warrenty thread - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=104502&highlight=4081b

grease thread - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=102140&highlight=4081b

There are two separate reading/writing mechanisms in a DVD writer, one for CDs and the other for DVDs. From your description of problem 1, it sounds like the CD mechanism is not working anymore. The DVD one is still fine though. Unfortunately, if this is correct, there is no solution for this AFAIK, apart from professional repair. As your warranty has expired, I don’t think there is anything that can be done about that problem. :frowning:

As for the second problem, a “focus or tracking error” message means the head of the drive cannot move to the right track or position it needs to get to in order to burn at a certain part of the drive. This is typically due to the fact that the grease on some part of the rail that the head mechanism slides on has dried up. From your description it is probably one of the ends of the rail that has gone greaseless. That is why you get that error when you burn up to 90% of the disc : it is actually unable to focus on the right track position in order to burn there.

About the only thing you can do is to regrease the drive rails. It isn’t really that hard at all. The most complicated part is opening up the drive. After that it is really just a matter of applying lubrication oil with a q-tip. If you have problems doing it, would pictures help? I’ve done a regreasing job before on my LG writer and I took pictures. The model is different (4163B) but the layout is about the same. I can post those pictures here if will make things clearer for you.

Thank you, pictures would very much help.

Sure. Just give me a day or so. A little busy at the moment but will get to it.

Sorry for not responding, was away for a while, sure thing, Thanks in advance