LG GSA-4040B Performance-changes vs. Firmware

LG GSA-4040B performance seem to be "different just by Fw changes A104 auf A106, (the A300 doesn’t seem to exist in Germany)?

I am refering to the tests in c’t (not available online at heise.de)

LG GSA-4040B Fw A104 (ct 2003,18 p127)
&
IOMEGA DVDRW-4224 Fw A106 (ct 2003,23 p179)

While in the first performance e.g of audio.cd grabbing was impossible aboe 12x with the newer version in the Iomega it doesn’t seem to be a problem while other formerly better values got worse.

PS.: Then of course there is the Fw A300 used e.g. in Canada and now according to netfarer.com also a Fw VA301 .

Does anyone have any idea how to interpret this?
:a :confused: :eek:

For sure there may be different results from firmware to firmware.

You may check our our LG GSA-4040B review with firmware A301 (latest version): http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/126

Originally posted by snn47
LG GSA-4040B performance seem to be "different just by Fw changes A104 auf A106, (the A300 doesn’t seem to exist in Germany)?

My drive came with the A300 here in Germany.

Btw: The A301 can be downloaded here from LG Germany.

Thank you I did already read it, thats why I’m rereading anything I have on the drive already (paper and net).

Since I couldn’t find any changelog for the four different FW versions (1.04, 1.06, 300 and 301) I am wondering what they did change, if there is any improvement beyond the correct recognition of some DVD types as 4x which was added in the 300 version FW according to a post.

I am not looiking for speed but for sustained data integrity (option of DVD-RAM) and error free reading of bad /corrupt media.

Originally posted by snn47
…and error free reading of bad /corrupt media.

For this the LG is one of the worst drives…