Lg Gsa-2168d

LG Electronics is going to release GSA-2168D within November according to a news here. The article says GSA-4166B uses LG-made opitcal pickup head (PUH) while GSA-4168B uses Hitachi-made optical pickup head. GSA-2166D naturally is based on GSA-4166B and GSA-2168D is based on GSA-4168B. Unlike GSA-5120D, GSA-5160D, and GSA-5163D, GSA-2164D, GSA-2166D, and GSA-2168D have only USB 2.0 connectors. 216D series are at least US$20-US$30 (in domestic South Korean market) cheaper than 516D series.

Hi, Kenshin. Do you have more information about the 4168?
What’s the difference between LG-made optical PUH and the Hitachi one?
HLDS is Hitachi-LG consortium!!!??? Why are they doing different PUHs?
Thanks for your post.

It seems that LG gave up using double interface external drives. You loose flexibility and the facilities provided by firewire (in terms of sustained data stream ) and in a while the price will make no difference. $$$$ shouts too loud and marketing being minded to satisfy customers needs is no more than bla,bla,bla…

Sounds very interesting!

If the GSA 4168 supports Lightscribe too and is a Supermulti drive it would be very interesting. The 4168 should be run with the Panasonic DVD RAM driver. The driver at the Panasonic site looks like it could work. In the *.inf file of the Windows 2000 version the GSA 4168 is in the INF…

Frankly, I’m little interested. Too many new models, too little performance increase. They should have introduced Blu-ray and HD-DVD SATA drives long ago.

/Offtopic on

…to have the same crappy situation like the DVD+R and DVD-R disaster. I think the companies should find ONE new standard, and than the people will buy the stuff.

I only remember the DAT, a great idea, but never a great deal in home environment. There a so much great products but without a worlwide standard they will not reach the mass market.

At the moment the both HD DVD formats are only a good deal for the movie industry, because the drives and player with suspect copy protection methods are payed by the customer, and the movie industry has the control if the player or drive is on the “black list”.

/Offtopic off

Differences between DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W) are very different from those between Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Making one standard instead of two or more I believe is much less important than making it available to the mass at low cost as early as possible.

The DVD plus and DVD minus are two independent standards… the BluRay and HD DVD are even to independend (pre) standards. It is well known that there are problems with DVD+ or DVD- on DVD drives … DVD players… or whatever. In a few words “compatibility problems”.

Even the DVD super multi burner burns not all types of media in the same good quality. There are burner they are better with DVD+ other with DVD-. At all they can do all media, but some types better…

When I think about the future about a DVD - BluRay - HD DVD - Plus - Minus supeduper multi drive I don’t believe it will work great and what can I do with a (cheap) drive and a lot of problems.

If you say … “ok we need a BluRay Standard … and ok we need a HD DVD standard”. I say "There is no need for two standards. This dispute between HD DVD and BluRay is only political nature and the hardware manufacturers like to use as much own patents as posible… The real reason is only $$$$$ not more not less.

But now back to topic. I’ll end this offtopic now :slight_smile:

DVD+R(W) is nearly identical to DVD-R(W). Blu-ray and HD-DVD are physically different. Basically, all DVD players and DVD-ROM drives can play both DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W). Basically, no HD-DVD player can play Blu-ray. No Blu-ray recorder has any support for HD-DVD. To bash them just because there are two standards instead of one is pointless. Either of them or both of them is much better than any of the current generation of DVD and CD technologies. Whether having multiple standards is great benefit or simple disaster is another matter. It sure added cost, but it’s difficult to dismiss competition factor. Lastly, this IS an ODD forum and both HD-DVD and Blu-ray are ODD as well and LG does have a lot of future in HDTV and also both Blu-ray and HD-DVD. LG’s share in the next era will probably rise even more.