Lg gh24nsd0, gh24nsd1

vbimport

ASUS DRW-24D5MT
Manufactured June 2018
Firmware 1.00
DRW-24D5MT_1.00.bin (1 MB)

Yup, the seeds behind this discovery, date all the way back to 2012. I was trying to help someone over at the forum.rpc1.org to dump the firmware from a GX30N drive.

Since the typical flasher command line meant for Renesas drives failed, the belief was that this must be a drive using a Panasonic chipset instead, but trying to dump the firmware using the newly discovered (at that time) “flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 1 80000000 00200000” command line did not work either.

devilsclaw who was very active on forum.rpc1.org at the time, suggested experimenting with some of the command line parameters in an attempt to find the correct firmware location, and after a bit of experimentation and trial and error “flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00100000” was born.

Once the firmware was successfully dumped, it turned out that this drive was in fact based on a Mediatek chipset, which was quite a surprise at that time, because up to that point all LG drives used to be either Renesas or Panasonic based, and this turned out to be a drive which signalled LG’s move from Panasonic/Renesas chipsets to Mediatek. It also turned out that the firmware size of these slim drives was a first as well, being only 1MB in size (again very unusual at that time), compared to the expected 2MB.

Once Mediatek based BluRay drives started to make their appearance a year later give or take, it was only a matter of recollecting this little gem from an otherwise overlooked thread, trying it on, on the new drives and slightly tweaking it to account for a regular 2MB firmware size, and the “flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00200000” command line became famous and took its well deserved place in ODD history :givesmile:

Thank you! :flower:

Thanks for mentioning the history of this cvs.

I looked further through the devilsclaws flasher code, and noticed what those parameters “6 00000000 00100000” actually meant in

flasher.exe -d 1 -l firmdump.bin 6 00000000 00100000

If it’s what I suspect it is, the devilscllaw flasher is basically running a scsi “read buffer” 0x3C command on a dvdr drive’s various memory buffers (such as the cache). It just happens that the “0x06” mode is completely undocumented for LG’s dvdr/blurayr drives.

I do remember the LG Renesas specific “read buffer” scsi 0x3C “0x05” mode command, which was mentioned in the friidump code. Not entirely documented, but iirc it was a memory re-mapping of the memory buffers on an entire LG renesas drive.

So I’m guessing when flasher.exe -d 1 -l firmdump.bin 6 00000000 00100000 was first discovered, it must have been a helluva lucky guess and/or somebody reversed engineered (ie. traced) through an official firmware update program for one of the earlier LG mediatek dvdr drives.