Lg gh24nsd0, gh24nsd1

Neither seems to be working for me under Windows 7 64-bit. I tried both versions and they stop responding while dumping main firmware.

Did you use the full command:

flasher.exe -d 1 -l firmdump.bin 6 00000000 00100000

?

(Assuming you only have one dvdr drive mounted to the D: directory).

No, I used:

flasher -d 1 -m main_firmware.bin

There is not such full command in the Readme.txt.

I tried running flasher -d 1 -m main_firmware.bin before.

It doesn’t work at all for mediatek chipset LG drives. It will just hang for a long period of time and do nothing.

The command flasher.exe -d 1 -l firmdump.bin 6 00000000 00100000 does work on recent mediatek chipset LG drives, such as my GH24NSC0 svc codes jr23 and nsd0 drives.

My guess is that somebody on here figured out by trial and error that flasher.exe -d 1 -l firmdump.bin 6 00000000 00100000 worked for mediatek chipset based LG dvdr drives. That’s probably why it looks so cryptic.

OK, I dumped the firmware with the above command, searched for the string and found ‘NSD0’.

1 Like

Does the string ‘MAX_DTR’ appear at all in the same firmware dump?

Yes, it does.

I assume this particular extracted firmware was from your Asus DRW-24D5MT drive with a June 2018 manufacturing date?

If this is the case, then the presence of these ‘NSD0’ and "MAX_DTR’ strings suggests this drive might be a D0/D1 rebadge.

Until somebody gets a real GH24NSD5 (or D6) drive and does a similar firmware dump and casual analysis, we won’t know what the specific differences of the D5/D6 firmware are from D0/D1.

Exactly.

1 Like

Interesting.

If this June 2018 manufactured DRW-24D5MT drive is a D0/D1 rebadge, then this would mean LG was still manufacturing the GH24NSD0 (or D1) model + rebadges until mid-2018.

I don’t know what to make of the previously posted pics of russian specimens of GH24NSD5 (or D6) with April and July 2018 manufacturing dates and firmware LV00 (for D5) or LU00 (for D6).

Maybe a chipset-change and the old chipset isn´t available anymore?

The string ‘MT1862’ is in the firmwares I casually looked at today.

If there is a slight revision to the MT1862 chip’s design, it doesn’t appear to be obvious in the firmwares I looked at.

Nevetheless if anybody gets a real GH24NSD5 (or D6) drive manufactured during/after September 2018, the first thing I would look for would be the presence of the string ‘JR23’ in the firmware dump.

The second thing I would look for, is the absence of the string ‘MAX_DTR’ from the firmware dump.

Could you share a copy of your dump please? Thanks!

@cvs

From an historical perspective, do you remember who figured out the correct command to extract firmware from mediatek based LG dvdr drives using devilsclaw flasher was

flasher.exe -d 1 -l firmdump.bin 6 00000000 00100000

?

ASUS DRW-24D5MT
Manufactured June 2018
Firmware 1.00
DRW-24D5MT_1.00.bin (1 MB)

1 Like

Yup, the seeds behind this discovery, date all the way back to 2012. I was trying to help someone over at the forum.rpc1.org to dump the firmware from a GX30N drive.

Since the typical flasher command line meant for Renesas drives failed, the belief was that this must be a drive using a Panasonic chipset instead, but trying to dump the firmware using the newly discovered (at that time) “flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 1 80000000 00200000” command line did not work either.

devilsclaw who was very active on forum.rpc1.org at the time, suggested experimenting with some of the command line parameters in an attempt to find the correct firmware location, and after a bit of experimentation and trial and error “flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00100000” was born.

Once the firmware was successfully dumped, it turned out that this drive was in fact based on a Mediatek chipset, which was quite a surprise at that time, because up to that point all LG drives used to be either Renesas or Panasonic based, and this turned out to be a drive which signalled LG’s move from Panasonic/Renesas chipsets to Mediatek. It also turned out that the firmware size of these slim drives was a first as well, being only 1MB in size (again very unusual at that time), compared to the expected 2MB.

Once Mediatek based BluRay drives started to make their appearance a year later give or take, it was only a matter of recollecting this little gem from an otherwise overlooked thread, trying it on, on the new drives and slightly tweaking it to account for a regular 2MB firmware size, and the “flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00200000” command line became famous and took its well deserved place in ODD history :givesmile:

1 Like

Thank you! :flower: