LG GH24 Rattles + Disk Quality Grayed out

vbimport

I just purchased new [U]LG GH24 /U DVD Writer and everything is working great. I just have one concern tht when i removed the drive from the box and was inspecting it, i notice “loose screw moving around kind of noise inside” when i shake my drive a little… So shall i be worried abt future complications?

2] Nero Disk Quality “Start option” is grayed out. Rest all functions are working. (Using Nero DiscSpeed 5)

[QUOTE=craige4u;2572958]I just purchased new [U]LG GH24 /U DVD Writer and everything is working great. I just have one concern tht when i removed the drive from the box and was inspecting it, i notice “loose screw moving around kind of noise inside” when i shake my drive a little… So shall i be worried abt future complications?

2] Nero Disk Quality “Start option” is grayed out. Rest all functions are working. (Using Nero DiscSpeed 5)[/QUOTE]

1. No. :bigsmile:
  2. An LG drives does not support quality scanning.

Pepst, So little rattle is observed on all LG drives ??

I need more responses ppl, as to if ur LG drives have similar loose part noise?

Pepst,

You are the moderator here, and u will be having lots of experience handling different drives. So plz can you tellme tht certain drives usually make rattle noise (Esp. LG) when you shake them, OR i got a isolated minor problem.

[QUOTE=craige4u;2573132]Pepst,

You are the moderator here, and u will be having lots of experience handling different drives. So plz can you tellme tht certain drives usually make rattle noise (Esp. LG) when you shake them, OR i got a isolated minor problem.[/QUOTE]

Hello, sorry for my ultrashort reply.
I have had several LG drives in the past and if I remember correctly, some of them (LG GH22NS, GCE-8523B, GSA-H12L) did rattle when I shook them.
They did work (and GCE-8523B does still work even after 8 years) flawlessly despite that, though.
Also, there were some other manufacturers’ “rattling” drives that I’ve got my hands on - older LiteOn and Asus DVDR burners. I think it’s a quite common “feature”. :bigsmile:

Thanx Pepst for detailed answer! I am at ease now tht i dont have to do all tht replacement hassles & now i can enjoy my new burner.

Hi,

being a moderator here does not necessarily mean huge expertise with certain stuff.

As for the “rattling”: this is normally intended by the drive’s manufacturer in order to maintain optimal disc rotation and balance. Some manufacturers like Liteon even had a marketing buzzword for that.
EDIT: found it

ABS® Auto Balance System Mechanism to Reduce Vibration & Noise

Michael