LG GH22NS40 or Samsung SH223C

vbimport

Hi everyone,
I already have Samsung SH223C for about a month which i found not a good drive, especially DVD reading problem which result in many reading errors that can be read with other drive without any errors :(. On the burn side, i have no complain till now:).
I found this LG GH22NS40 (India made, ver. NL02). Is this a good drive, will it be better than my Samsung?
thanks in advance.

In my experience, LG drives are among the worst drives ever released in the market :Z

Most of times, reading issues are caused by the media and not by the drive. What discs are you using? Samsung drives are not that bad (at least in my personal experience) :slight_smile:

thanks for reply,
I agree that generally Samsung drive are not bad drives. but my Samsung SH-223C had problems reading different commercial DVD especially DVD9 which can be read in other drives. burning was never a problem in this drive.
my concern is to find a good quality reader, as i like rip DVD to my hard before watching. and the quality of commercial movie or sitecomes DVD (where i live) is very bad.

My own Samsungs (including the SH-S223F) are among the best readers I own. I have a Sammy in each machine for just that purpose. :wink:

Re: LG, this probably isn’t the case with all LG drives, but the ones I have/have owned haven’t been too hot in the reading department - certainly not a patch on my Sammies.

@Geno - you never owned an LG 4163B? One of my best drives ever. :bigsmile:

Samsung? Sam… what?

The 182 was a good cd burner, the 203 was a very good cd/dvd burner, both were very good readers, my 223 is currently used as a door stopper (This tells how good this drive was for me).

Now lets see, LG drive are not very good readers?
For me they are reading fine, if my samsung can read the disc then the same goes for the LG, but they are excellent cd/dvd burners, they are just a little picky on the media, but even my optiarc 7200A cant make bad media good.

Too bad I don’t have the LG 4163 :sad:

However, I bought 3 LG drives, and all of them died after a couple of months :doh:

Maybe I was unlucky with this brand, but I’ll never buy a LG anymore :disagree:

Currently I have 2 samsung drives: the 182 (with the faulty firmware that was never solved about -R media), that is still perfectly working with +R media, and a 202J that is an excellent drive both as writer and as a reader :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=vroom;2521368]Samsung? Sam… what?

The 182 was a good cd burner, the 203 was a very good cd/dvd burner, both were very good readers, my 223 is currently used as a door stopper (This tells how good this drive was for me).[/quote]

I miust admit, on the burning front, my Dell rebadge is somewhat better than my “proper” 223F, maybe because of Dell’s firmware. Nver had a reading problem with either though. :slight_smile:

BTW, I love my Sammy 182D drives…I regard them as highly as my long-dead 4163B. :slight_smile:

Now lets see, LG drive are not very good readers?
For me they are reading fine, if my samsung can read the disc then the same goes for the LG, but they are excellent cd/dvd burners, they are just a little picky on the media, but even my optiarc 7200A cant make bad media good.

I don’t have experience with any LG after the H62N, but the ones I have/had all burn very well, unless the media is really crappy/mediocre. :iagree:…I do remember my 4163B/4167B being not such a good reader of the occasional pressed discs/any disc which was badly burned, though. But once again these are older LGs. :slight_smile:

EDIT: My suggestion to the OP would be…why not fit the LG alongside the Sammy if there is room? :slight_smile:

@geno888

The only LG that died on me was my dvd player, but it was after almost 4 years of everyday use, unlike samsung, one dvd-rom dies after a few hours of use, and the 182 died without any reason. I forgot one boom machine that also died after one year. So far the only samsung thing that is working is my a/c.

@Arachne
You are lucky.

@wkbag
You might consider the Samsung SH-S243N as it has gotten very good user reviews here at MyCE. Most would agree that it is a much better drive than the SH-S223F. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151216

The only LG drive I have ever purchased is my blu ray burner, the GWW-H20L. In the few tests I did on dvd burns, it matched both my Samsung 203B and Optiarc 7240s in quality of burns using the same Verbatim 16x +R media.

Thanks all,
I think i will try the Samsung SH-S243N, i hope it will solve my reading problem.
what amaze me is that my laptop LG GSA-T50L perform better reading than my Samsung SH-223C.
regards to all

Let us know what you think of the 243N (reading and burning, if you give burning a go) - I’d definitely be curious to know! A wise choice I think, given your bad luck with the 223x :slight_smile: