LG GH22NP20 Imgburn errors

This weekend I got an LG GH22NP20 drive, bought some memorex (yes I know memorex “sucks” but the same media work on my brothers same level LG drive as well as my sisters notebook internal drive as well as the xbox 360 I am going to be hoepfuly using these dvds on). I also got an IDE to USB adapter cord so I could use this drive externally.

The problem is that the drive wont burn dual layers, it will burn single layers and one side of dual layer dvds, but not a full dual layer dvd+r. It gives the semaphore timeout period has expired. A couple of times the burnin started, but ultimately failed. My internal Matshita drive does at least begin the burning process somewhat, but fails with other error, again only with dual layers.

I’ve tried th following troubleshooting methods.

1. DMA mode applied
  2. Windows XP re-installed
  3. Firmware update
  4. Several different burning softwares
  5. Uninstalling/reinstalling ide channels, dvd drives, then rebooting
  6. Turning off the computer and dvd drive, rebooting Windows then powering up the drive.
  7. A whole bunch of other shit that I honestly can’t remember becaue of the sheer number of hours I’ve put into getting this hunk of crap to work this weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also got an IDE to USB adapter cord

What’s that?

So you tried many different things except a different brand of media.
The only reliable DL media is Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x (MKM-001-00 dye) made in Singapore.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2234508]So you tried many different things except a different brand of media.
The only reliable DL media is Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x (MKM-001-00 dye) made in Singapore.[/QUOTE]

Got some Verbatims, tried to burn, same error came up “Semaphore timeout period has expired” before burning started. I clicked cancel then tried to burn again which, oddly enough, worked. I expected the burning to fail at the layer break and it did. In other words, the dvd burner stopped burning at exactly 50%.

Don’t know what to do, spent a lot on the memorex spindle, even more on the Verbatims, so if anyone has a solution I’m all ears.

Note: burned at 4x, not 2.4x because this was the only supported speed.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2234451]What’s that?[/QUOTE]

Connects burner to computer.

Post the burn log.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2234728]Post the burn log.[/QUOTE]

Is there any way to recover the burn log from a prior burn? I have been trying other media, troubleshooting since the last post.

Whatever program you’re using to burn should have a log file. Go through it to find the information pertaining to your failed burn. This semaphore error most likely has to do with your connections.

[QUOTE=newbie1984;2234695]Connects burner to computer.[/QUOTE]
If it’s one of those trouble shooting cables that could very well be your problem. Even official enclosures can cause problems for opticals, Pioneer for one is very sensitive to the chipset used.

You should hook it up properly, internally, and see if it behaves.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2234798]If it’s one of those trouble shooting cables that could very well be your problem. Even official enclosures can cause problems for opticals, Pioneer for one is very sensitive to the chipset used.

You should hook it up properly, internally, and see if it behaves.[/QUOTE]

Its just a wire that connects the IDE on the burner to the USB port on the computer. I am going to use internal installation as a last resort. Didn’t want to mess around w/the hardware.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2234766]Whatever program you’re using to burn should have a log file. Go through it to find the information pertaining to your failed burn. This semaphore error most likely has to do with your connections.[/QUOTE]

im usin imgburn. i click view log but it only shows the most recent.

Is this drive in an enclosure?

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2234857]Is this drive in an enclosure?[/QUOTE]

not in an enclosure. its just a box about 25 inches cubed. and no, this is not an enclosure, its just the box the drive is housed in.

do you know how to increase windows semaphore timeout period? i think thats’ causing hte problems because the drive might need some more time, but the semaphore times out

And how are you getting power to this device? Are you using an extension coming out of the PC?

This error has to do with the USB port and/or the USB controllers. Get an internal drive.

[QUOTE=Dialysis1;2234968]This error has to do with the USB port and/or the USB controllers. Get an internal drive.[/QUOTE]

****** ****, waste my time asking inane questions only to say get an internal drive. **** ****** net geek. [I]More vile profanity erased[/I]

Thank you-eh!!