LG GH22LP20 or SAMSUNG SH-S222A for IDE drive?

vbimport

Hello everyone!
A friend of mine wants to buy a new DVDRW. He doesn’t have any SATA controller, thus his only option is an IDE drive.

I can only find LG GH22LP20 and SAMSUNG SH-S222A.

Which one would you suggest as
a) reader
b) writer for CDR
c) writer for DVD±R
quality wise?

Thank you!!!

Hi,[QUOTE=yyy;2564375]
A friend of mine wants to buy a new DVDRW. He doesn’t have any SATA controller, thus his only option is an IDE drive.[/quote]No. Throw in an inexpensive Sata Controller card with Silicon Image 3512 or 3114 chipset (preferably the non-Raid version) and your friend has all options :slight_smile:

I can only find LG GH22LP20 and SAMSUNG SH-S222A.
Seems as if these are the only Pata drives available nowadays.

Myself, I own a GH22LP20.
This drive is extremely picky about the interface or controller it shall be connected to. And severe issues with external enclosures.
Now it is hooked to Promise PDC 20579 PCI IDE/Sata controller and works rather nicely.

Main usage is as CD writer. I would rate the CD Write quality as excellent, the discs even pass my “picky JVC real live test”.
The CDDA features are not as good as with my other 2 LG drives (both with Renesas chipset).

You may also check our review here: http://club.myce.com/f91/cdfreaks-presents-lg-gh22lp20-22x-super-multi-dvd-writer-review-252153/
and if you have anough time, the "scans&results thread: http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-gh20n-l-post-your-scans-questions-here-230408/ (unfortunately the NP/LP data is buried within that thread.

The TSST might not have the interface problems I experienced with my LG, but it is for sure not as good for CD-R application as the LG.
For DVD write quality look here: http://club.myce.com/f105/samsung-sh-s222-results-discussion-258527/

Michael

Hi Michael and thanks for your detailed answer and help (for once more) :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2564385]Hi,No. Throw in an inexpensive Sata Controller card with Silicon Image 3512 or 3114 chipset (preferably the non-Raid version) and your friend has all options :)[/QUOTE]

I know this option. But I can’t find such a card around. I also don’t know if my friend’s PC has a PCI express slot or PCI. I have to check that too. It seems to me a simpler solution to go for a PATA drive. Such a controller would double the cost as well. Nevertheless I could go that way if none of these drives is a capable burner.

I had already checked the LG review and both drives’ results thread. It looks that LG is a very good reader and CD writer. If I interpret the scan results right, they are both decent DVD burners. But it is really difficult to figure out comparing different scans from different drives!

Thus, if I’m right that they both are equivalent DVD burners, I would go with the LG for the excellent CD writing quality. Please correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong.

My friend burns mainly CDs, DVD+R and rarely DL DVD+R. If one of these two is a solid performer in these cases I would go for it. And leave the SATA controller option for a later time :slight_smile:

As far as I remember, the motherboard is Intel based chipset. Hopefully there will be no issues with the controller, even if LG is chosen.

Thanks again for your time and help!

[QUOTE=yyy;2564412]Hi Michael and thanks for your detailed answer and help (for once more) :)[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

(Controller card) I know this option. But I can’t find such a card around. I also don’t know if my friend’s PC has a PCI express slot or PCI. I have to check that too.
Your friend’s computer does not have any PCI Express slot :wink:

Thus, if I’m right that they both are equivalent DVD burners, I would go with the LG for the excellent CD writing quality. Please correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong.

Since CD application does matter, then go for the LG. :slight_smile:

Michael

I guess you’re right. I saw three alternatives PCI SATA controllers, around 20€. I don’t think it is worth just for a burner.

Since CD application does matter, then go for the LG. :slight_smile:

I think I’ll do that! :slight_smile:

Thanks once more :flower: