LG GH22LP20 No DVD Audio

vbimport

I had occasion recently to replace the DVD Burner in my Dell GX520 as it started freezing when playing DVDs. It was OK with CDs. I replaced it with an LG GH22LP20.

Now it does not freeze any more and the DVD video plays fine, but I cannot get any audio signal from any pre-recorded DVDs. If I play a DVD created on one of my laptops both the video and audio play fine. CDs still play fine. I get the same symptoms with Media Player and PowerDVD 7.

I e-mailed LG and they gave me a cop-out “three ring binder” answer suggesting I uninstall the drive then re-boot the PC and let it install again. They also said that if that did not work, I buy a full version of Cyberlink PowerDVD. So much for their support, yes? It stinks. They also said that there is no firmware update for this model. Well there is a firmware update which I have installed but to no avail.

I have been trying to find an exact replacement for the original Phillips drive, model DVD8801/96, but have not yet found one.:sad:

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can fix this lack of audio problem, I would appreciate it very much. I did a browse in the forum, but did not find anything that seems to addresses this problem.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Hi,

please try VLCand see if that works.
Since only commercially manufactured discs are affected, this is most likely some software issue.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2509338]Hi,

please try VLCand see if that works.
Since only commercially manufactured discs are affected, this is most likely some software issue.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi Mciahel,

I downloaded and installed VLC as you suggested. I tried a few discs with successful results, as I now have audio. :iagree: I will try more discs this week and let you know how I make out.

I also tried Media Player again, but still no audio from MP. Boo Hoo to Microsoft I guess.:sad:

I would like to find out why it does not work though. Curiosity more than for any other reason.

Hi,[QUOTE=mb300e;2512834]
I downloaded and installed VLC as you suggested. I tried a few discs with successful results, as I now have audio. :iagree:[/quote]Nice :slight_smile:

I also tried Media Player again, but still no audio from MP. Boo Hoo to Microsoft I guess.:sad:

Something messed up with codecs or priorities (“Merits”) of DirectShow filters. I wouldn’t blame MS for that.
For example, Nerö is known to have often caused such a mess.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I tried a few more discs and all is OK with VLC. I do have a suite of tools that came with the drive including Nero 8, Cyberlink Power DVD, LG Power Tools etc. Is it worth me uninstalling all of them then reinstalling Windows Media Player?

Thanks for your help. At least now I can play DVDs on my GX520.

Peter.

Hi,[QUOTE=mb300e;2514173]

I tried a few more discs and all is OK with VLC.[/quote]Nice to hear that :slight_smile:

I do have a suite of tools that came with the drive including Nero 8, Cyberlink Power DVD, LG Power Tools etc. Is it worth me uninstalling all of them then reinstalling Windows Media Player?
You can try that. Perhaps you need to install Power DVD again in order to be able to playback DVD in Windows Media Player. This is at least required with XP since this does not come with MPEG2 decoders (unlike Vista and 7).

Michael