LG GGW-H20L Will Not Burn BD-R

Hi everyone.

I recently installed a brand new LG GGW-H20L from newegg.com. The problem I am having with it is I am unable to burn BD-R discs with its packaged CyberLink Power2Go 5 software.

As soon as the software attempts to write to disc, the operation immediately cancels and produces this error log:

CDKey        : *******************
OS Version   : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
E:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\Power2Go.exe : Version 5.50.3209
CBS.dll : Version 7.7.2003  

==================================================================

Total physical memory : 2047MB (2097151KB)
Free physical memory  : 2047MB (2097151KB)
Memory load	      : 25 percent

Number of CPU : 2
CPU Name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
CPU Speed     : 2598 MHz

Task Type : Data Disc

14:51:56, File(cl_DVDData.cpp), Line(191)
	-> Begin burning process
	Current drive:	<D: HL-DT-ST	BD-RE  GGW-H20L 	YL03>
	Current writing speed(x): 2.0
	====== Disc Info =======
	Disc Type: BD-R Sequential Recording
	Disc Status: Blank, Appendable
	Num. of Sessions: 1 	Num. of Tracks: 1
	Disc Capacity: 12219392LBs
	Free Size: 12219392LBs Used Size: 0LBs
	========================
	Burn option: w/ buffer underrun protection
	Burn option: w/o simulation
	Burn option: w/o close disc
	Burn option: w/ verify disc
	FS type: ISO9660_JOLIET
	Burn mode: PACKET_INC

14:51:56, file(cl_DVDData.cpp), line(3056)
	-> Begin new track: 1

14:51:56, file(cl_DVDData.cpp), line(3087)
	-> Write data

CDVDData: BurnDiscFunc: Error, hr = 4278389760
	Last write LBA: 64

14:51:57, file(cl_DVDData.cpp), line(3227)
	-> End new track

14:51:57, File(cl_DVDData.cpp), Line(305)
	-> Burning Fail, ErrCode: 0xeb020b88

Error Code : 0xeb020b88

I’ve tried burning several different projects of varying numbers of files and varying sizes of files, but none of that makes any difference.

The first thing I did was search CyberLink’s website for answers on the software side of things, and I found this page that basically claims it’s a hardware issue.

So I’m at a loss as to what to try next.

Here are a few more things I can tell you that may or may not be relevant in troubleshooting my issue:

• I’m not positive my LG GGW-H20L is bad because it was able to write a DVD+R data disc without any hassles or hiccups
  • The brand of BD-R disc I’ve attempted to write with is Sony
  • I have a copy of Nero burning software installed on my machine, but it’s out-of-date and does not include BD burning options
  • My current firmware version is YL03 which I just downloaded and installed from LG’s web site

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I’ll be most grateful. I would hate to have to return this drive if at all possible, but if I can’t use it for what I originally purchased it for, I’m afraid I’ll have to do just that.

Thanks.

Try burning with ImgBurn, which is a well respected, free burning program. You can find it here: www.imgburn.com It is the only thing I use with my LG GGW-H20L.

If you are burning a blu ray video, use UDF 2.5 setting.

I think I would get a BD-RE disk to test with though, just in case you do have a hardware problem. BD-R’s are too expensive to be making coasters.

I have some good news. It’s working!

I spent a little time reading through some other posts on this forum and others that had to do with my drive, and I discovered that some posters were using firmware different from my own. As I said before, I downloaded the YL03 firmware directly from LG’s support site in direct relation to the LG GGW-H20L product page. Given that it was the only firmware available to be downloaded, I had no reason to believe there was anything newer than it.

I couldn’t have been more wrong. A simple Google search turned up many hits for YL05 firmware which is what many of the posters I read about were using. I downloaded it from an obscure drivers web site, installed it, and now my drive is burning BD-Rs without issue.

I do feel a little spurned by LG in that it seemed like I had to go out of my way to find the latest firmware to resolve my issue. Maybe I was looking for the firmware in the wrong place all this time? In that case, I feel misled.

But in any case, I’m happy it’s working. I installed ImgBurn as you suggested Kerry56 and I like it a lot more than the software that came with the drive. As a matter of fact, I’m happy to have my system tray back. :slight_smile:

Anyway, thank you for your help.