LG GGW-H20L - genuine article?

vbimport

After reading several praises of this drive (see this post for an example) I had a look on eBay, and wouldn’t you know it, there are several Hong Kong/Chinese sellers offering supposedly new units. Is it possible these are genuine? The front bezels don’t seem to match the retail one shown here (missing the Blu-ray/HD-DVD logos), and I also notice some models have the “X” pattern of dents on the top, whereas others (such as this one) don’t. Yet in all cases the labels state the drive is a GGW-H20L.
Can anyone explain this disparity? Are these rebadged, fake, or just regional differences?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

There seemed to be some variations in the LG GGW-H20L. The pictures at the CDRLabs review show a ribbed look on the front, and I definitely remember those. But my GGW-H20L has this front instead:

You’ll notice that it has a silver bar across the front where the open/close tray button is, and the rest of the front is gloss black plastic. There is also an HD-DVD logo on the front, which I believe should be on any of the drives that read HD-DVD.

Mine looks similar, has the chrome bar, but also has the kinda ribbed looking smooth plastic front. I think it’s just a decal or silk screened thing on the plastic. Mine I bought when they were still current so they may have changed the design some like he said if they truly are still making them.

You know, I examined mine a little more closely and though I can’t see the ribbed effect well at all, I can feel it if I run my thumbnail over it, so I suppose it must have been on there when I bought it.

I’m not so sure of the authenticity of these “new” units, but you would think anyone with an HD DVD disc that failed to read would be complaining on ebay if they are fakes.

Thanks for your replies. I’m tempted to take the plunge with one of these. I’ve emailed one of the sellers about the different designs though. Maybe something to do with LG and Hitachi’s merger? The newer drives seem to base the manufacturer in Japan, not Korea.

[QUOTE=Cantab;2786774]Thanks for your replies. I’m tempted to take the plunge with one of these. I’ve emailed one of the sellers about the different designs though. Maybe something to do with LG and Hitachi’s merger? The newer drives seem to base the manufacturer in Japan, not Korea.[/QUOTE]

All these LG drives are HL-DT-ST (Hitachi-LG Data Storage, a long-standing joint venture), and have been since long before Blu-ray was a thing. We just call them LG because LG is the primary point of sales and service for them (kind of like how Hitachi and Maxell made CD-R together, but they were generally sold and branded as Maxell, and eventually it was Maxell’s name alone that went onto DVD media).

Now, it is possible that the drives have different designs for different regions AND different market segments; that’s a thing that many drive makers have done before. And it has resulted in the same drive having a slightly different front plate & (sometimes) a different casing. But this is something OTHER manufacturers have done; I haven’t paid close enough attention to LG to see if they’ve done the same for certain.