LG GGW-H20L - Are my results normal?

I recently received my LG GGC-H20L drive and installed it on one of the nForce4 sata connections of my Asus A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard. Windows booted fine and recognised the drive without any problems.

I have successfully been able to burn a DVD 8x and both a BD-RE 2x and a BD-R 2x so far, but the Blu-Ray discs took ages. I burned both the DVD and BD-RE using CD-DVD speed and the results I got are as follows:

DVD:

That looks fine but when I burned the BD-RE I got this:

As you can see it took 94 minutes to fill the disc at an average of less than 1x speed. This seems really slow to me and I was wondering if this is normal or has something to do with the Nvidia Chipset the drive is on? I know that some nforce chipsets have given people problems so I would just like to confirm that this may be it.

Just in case it helps heres the Benchmark test for the disc:

I know the drive can only support reading back BD-RE at 2x but I though I would post this in case it has any useful info.

I have also burnt 23083MB to a regular Sony BD-R 2x using nero and it took a 102 minutes to fill the disc at an average speed of 3,905kb/s. This again seems too slow despite successfully recording all the data. It verifed the data after burning at a much faster speed of 3.8x up to 5.7x.

This is what the CD-DVD benchmark test of the burned disc looks like:

I would appreciate any advice or help that anyone may be able to give me as I am really keen on resolving any issues.

What software you use to burn the movie? You might need to disable verification, or in Nero disable “defect management”, or in CDSpeed enable “Streaming”. See here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/1983752-post4.html

[QUOTE=Naevax;1987259]I recently received my [B]LG GGC-H20L[/B] drive and installed it on one of the nForce4 sata connections of my Asus A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard. Windows booted fine and recognised the drive without any problems.

I have successfully been able to burn a DVD 8x and both a BD-RE 2x and a BD-R 2x so far, but the Blu-Ray discs took ages. I burned both the DVD and BD-RE using CD-DVD speed and the results I got are as follows:
[/QUOTE]

Since when can a GGC burn BD media?

Ah I just realised that its actually the GGW I have not the GGC…made a mistake when I created the topic title.

Anyways thanks very much zevia as what you mentioned I should do actually worked beautifully and now my drive is burning at the full speed.

Although one question - I re-burned the BD-RE using CD-DVD Speed and this is what I got:

What I am concerned with is how much the buffer seems to empty and refill throughout the test. Past experience has told me that the buffer should always remain full if there is a good data transfer rate so this is making me wonder whether or not things are ok.

I would appreciate anyone’s insight.

It’s hard to say what’s wrong. The drive has 4MB buffer for BD burning (2MB for CD/DVD). With that buffer going up and down during BD burning, the drive could chock when you’re burning BD-R which will give you trouble. Although you showed 50MB/s burst rate, it might be the case that the nForce4 SATA controller cannot provide constant data transfer rate for optical drives, but I’m not so sure.

Hmm that could be it…I just ran another test and it quoted a 57mb/s burst rate but maybe it cannot sustain the rate.

I have already recorded a couple of 2x BD-R discs and they worked beautifully at that speed so I am not concerned about the buffer problem so much now.

Its more of what will happen once I start to record at higher speeds such as 4x or even 6x.

Anyway thanks for your help.

[quote=Naevax;1989174]Its more of what will happen once I start to record at higher speeds such as 4x or even 6x.
[/quote]True. Better write at 2x until you can figure out a solution. But good to know that some nForce4 controllers can handle SATA ODD, although with a little problem. :wink:

Hi, try to disable BD Defect Management for example in Nero:
Menu recorder ->Choose recorder -> Select GGW-H20L -> Options -> disable BD Defect Management (for blank discs only)

That saves time… :slight_smile: