LG GGC-H20L and Power DVD 8 Ultra - audio but notvideo

vbimport

Yes, another one of these. I have searched throught the others but have n’t found any help for me yet. I have a Visiontek HD4870 with the latest drivers and an HP lp2475w monitor. I am connected to the monitor over DVI. No problems seeing the drive. DVD movies start, all the preamble stuff then the screen goes blank but audio is fine. Lonely Planet Blu-ray says it cannot play the connected content on my output device. Everything here is capable of playing HDCP content - BD advisor gives me all greens for basic playback (oranges in advanced for dual video stuff - which I am not doing).
What do you think - is the monitor really the problem here? It is 3 days new.

Solving this kind of problem requires a lot of trials. It might be due to

• software conflict
  • bad cable (DVI or HDMI)
  • bad disc
  • HDCP support, etc etc

From your description, it sounds like a software or drivers conflict. If BD Advisor gives all green, have you try playing with WinDVD, maybe the trial version?

I have the latest drivers for the ATI 4870 (catalyst 8.10) card. My monitor was just released though - HP lp2475w. It is supposed to be HDCP compliant on all digital ports (I am using DVI). But now since my last post, BD advisor has changed its mind and now says that the video connection type is NOT hdcp.
I got WinDVD9 and that at least will play regular DVD movies (which powerdvd wont). The trial version wont play blu-ray though. Corel’s diagnostic tool is also now saying that the monitor is not HDCP. Sounds like time for a call to HP.
Thanks for the reply Zevia.

So WinDVD can play DVD but PowerDVD does not. Seems to be software conflict somewhere in system. When the last time you reformated your harddrive and clean install windows?

Alternatively, you can try connecting via HDMI, using DVI to HDMI cable such as this: HDMI DVI Cable 28AWG - 6ft ($4.03)

There’s more DVI/HDMI cables on that website if you need something different.

I tried DVI to HDMI but same issue. PowerDVD gives an error code 0110, cant play protected content on the output device.
Installed a trial of AnyDVD and all the problems went away. Makes me kind of mad though. I have all the requirements to play blu-ray and in the end, I need to buy a tool to remove the faulty DRM. If it worked I would not have to do that.

Some source said the DVI on HP 2475W is not HDPC compliant. HDMI should be though so it’s strange it’s not working with DVI/HDMI cable/adapter. Might be a handshaking issue. Did you reboot your computer before trying with HDMI?

Can you post screenshot of BD Advisor without AnyDVD.

No, I did not reboot before trying the DVI/HDMI adapter. I’ll give that a try and send screenshots later tonight.

I had a similar issue recently, I upgraded to 2217 and that seemed to resolve it. I’m also using the 4800 series (4850 in Crossfire) with the Catalyst 8.10 driver set. It would play audio w/o issue, but video would not show up, except for the odd buttons for the menu.

Rebooting does n’t work either. Eluder, did you ever get the message “cant play protected content …” or just the audio and no video?
Once I upgraded to 2217 I only get that message and no more audio (or video).
Here are the screenshots of BD Advisor without AnyDVD running and with DVI-DVI.
Eluder, what monitor are you connected to?
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

Hey there, no, I never actually got an error message, just had audio with no video. I’m using a BenQ G2400W connected via DVI.

ok so I have the same problem, you can check my post that is on the first page. Please Help: Power DVD and Radeon 4850 = no blu-ray.

I am pretty sure this is a driver issue. I have tried so many different drivers from ATI to try and make this work but it still causes the same problem. I have tried 8.5-8.10 I am told 8.4 may work but I have seen it and previous drivers but no one has had any sucess rolling back that far.

tgggd86,
Download the trial of AnyDVD and give that a try. You have a different environment than I do - Vista 64 and PowerDVD 7. I upgraded to 8 Ultra and my OS is WinXP SP3. Also check (if you have n’t already) if your monitor supports HDCP and over what connection. It seems like almost as many people have issues as dont. I am going to buy AnyDVD because it is the only solution I have found so far. Good luck.

How do you play your blu-ray image? I mount this .iso and it is the same as it was before and playing the .iso in VLC does nothing.

[QUOTE=tgggd86;2149816]ok so I have the same problem, you can check my post that is on the first page. Please Help: Power DVD and Radeon 4850 = no blu-ray.

I am pretty sure this is a driver issue. I have tried so many different drivers from ATI to try and make this work but it still causes the same problem. I have tried 8.5-8.10 I am told 8.4 may work but I have seen it and previous drivers but no one has had any sucess rolling back that far.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same, but then again, I have another PC with a 4850 and PowerDVD Ultra 8 and have no issues there. I’m wondering if it’s a motherboard chipset issue somehow. The problematic one for me was an X38, but the one that worked flawlessly is the P45. Both machines using the 4850 and the LG drive.

I have an Nvidia 430 chipset and I haven’t seen any links there. Um I also have an X-Fi card which is the only other hardware I think that could be involved.

Hmm, well guess that isn’t it then. Who knows, could just be PowerDVD being flaky, which wouldn’t be a first. I wonder if anyone with the same hardware and say TMT has this same issue.

Just a newbie researching monitors, but there seems to be a difference in “ready” and “capable”. Seems some monitors and video cards are being “dumped” right now. False claims of “compatibility” are rampant. Manufacturers are blaming the lack of “set standards” for the issues people are having, I’ve decided to wait awhile till the dust settles and HDCP standards are universally accepted.

Lobo21, do you have specific information regarding the HP2475w monitor? Either way you are probably correct - something here is having compatibility issues. Since many others have this same graphics card and software, that points to the monitor (for my issue). Of course others with this monitor (over at hardforum) dont have these problems …

Tried researching online best guess is that HDCP is only supported thru HDMI. Could you try an adapter? Sorry only thing I can think of. Perhaps better minds will come forward to assist.

I recently stumbled into this thread as I’ve been having these same problems with Cyberlink PowerDVD and the LG GGC-H20N Hybrid DVD player. The symptoms were exactly the same as described by Look_cows,
Sound was fine but no video, on some Blu-ray movies I would only see
subtitles or the selection menu. Same problems on Blu-rays or HD-DVDs,
Until today.

First Let me describe my setup:
HTPC with ECS 780G Motherboard v 1.0
IGP Graphics Radeon HD 3200 with ATI Display Graphics 8.5
Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit) w SP1.oo
PowerDVD 7 (version 7.39 ?)
LG GGC-H20N Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Drive
All this hooked up to my SAMSUNG 7 Series LCD (HDCP Ready)

Until today I had been trying to figure out where in my system
was the problem, I toiled with SATA Drivers, ATI CAtalyst 8.11, AHCI, witchcraft and anything I could try to get this system to work. After reading this thread I realized that my problem was not the LG Drive or any HDCP related problems. It had to be the ATI Graphics Display drivers.
I decided to go back to my original ATI Drivers version 8.5 (ECS), and thru the custom setup, I prevented the AVIVO drivers from being installed.
It worked !, I still have to verify if it will work with the AVIVO drivers but
I’ll leave that for this weekend. Happy to report both Blu-ray and HD-DVD are working like a charm, no skipping, lagging or any other kinds of problems.