LG GCC-4522B updating problems

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GCC 4522B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello everyone, I’ve got a LG 4522B combo drive as you can see in the title. It stopped working about 1 year ago when we tried updating it because it couldn’t recognise double layer DVDs. Since then, the drive seems most likely dead.

When I open the LG update tool, my drive appears and it says Device Revision: Boot. When i click on upgrade, it says transferring and then updating, at that moment my drive’s light BLINKS (I think that means it’s not really dead) when it’s done it says either update “Firmware update failed” or “Firmware update successfully completed”, Then it asks me to reboot. When I reboot, the drive doesn’t still respond as always.

On the other hand, when I enter the device manager, it says my drive is working normally,ImgBurn can’t detect my drive… but Nero can :confused:.

I don’t know if it may be a physical problem (i.e. something disconnected inside the computer). If that’s the case, then I can’t do anything because I just know nothing about computers on the inside.

Also, I made a search and found this thread, maybe my drive is in a “safe mode” and I should use XSF to flash it from DOS like the other guy did?

Any help will be appreciated.

I think I should’ve posted this in the LG subforum under the recording hardware section. If that’s the case, sorry.

BUMP, I’m sorry for reviving this thread but no one answered me and I really need the drive because I’ve got to write backup copies of videogames.

I’ve tried using mtkwinflash and it says ERR: fail to identify flash type, I don’t know why this happens as I’m certain that I’m flashing my writer with the correct bin file. I’ve tried two versions of the firmware so far. My writer is on Secondary Master The drive’s firmware still shows “boot”. Windows and my BIOS recognises it.

I’ve also searched a lot (as I could) in google and the forums, but found no solutions. I haven’t tried flashing from true DOS yet, but I’ll do it if I have to. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

PS: I think this should be moved to the LG sub-forum.

Sorry again, I know this post is 1 and half a year old, but as I still have the drive and haven’t found a solution anywhere on the net and no one has answered yet, I thought I might revive this.

The writer is in exactly the same state as it was last year: blinking light when flashing; does not respond to input; shows up in BIOS and device manager as working normally; firmware version is Boot and reflashing with LG tool —whether successful or not— doesn’t change anything.

I still believe there’s some way of resuscitating it, notwithstanding I’m not sure . Thanks in advance.

I’m very sorry for quadruple posting but I couldn’t find any way to edit my other posts. Anyway, I could finally revive my drive :D! I followed the procedure sajhsjh posted in the other thread to which I linked and it worked! I had tried it before but I was too incompetent with DOS and the drive was actually on Primary Master. I used XSF 1.53 and 1.08 firmware bin file. Mods may lock this now.

I have the same problem would you please send me the firmware file cuz I couldn’t get it , the XSF you used it’s for liteon drives does it work on LG drives??

thanks