LG GA50N Extremely Slow Ripping CD's But Fine With Data CD/DVD

vbimport

I am having a nightmare trying to find a decent Slot Load DVD drive.

I had a Lite-ON which wouldn’t work properly on the SATA controller, so replaced it with an LG GA50N but for some reason it is extremely slow when trying to rip a Audio CD. It hardly spins up, but it goes extremely fast when it’s a Data CD?

I have tried Optidrive Control/Nero and it reads 4.6x? But a Data CD will go 20x and above.

It’s detecting its an Audio CD and will only run slowly.

Please help :), I have tested this on 3 PC’s and the same thing happens.

I used to have Samsung TSST drive that had a quiet mode you could switch off, I wonder if there is something for the LG drives?

I own all the CD’s and not trying to copy them I just want them ripped so I can play them on my Squeezeboxes. My chassis only takes a slot loading drive.

Some drives deliberately go slow when reading audio CDs, assuming that noise is more important than speed. Samsung is the only make I can think of where it could be switched off.

What software are you using? A lot of drives run slowly when using C2 pointers for secure extraction.

As I mentioned in your other thread, I’m a fan of Samsung drives for audio extraction. And there is a Toshiba-Samsung (TSST) slim internal slot-loading drive available here in the UK.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2741932]Some drives deliberately go slow when reading audio CDs, assuming that noise is more important than speed. Samsung is the only make I can think of where it could be switched off.

What software are you using? A lot of drives run slowly when using C2 pointers for secure extraction.

As I mentioned in your other thread, I’m a fan of Samsung drives for audio extraction. And there is a Toshiba-Samsung (TSST) slim internal slot-loading drive available here in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Samsung-TS-T633-internal-Slotload-interface/dp/B007YEOLGO[/QUOTE]

Hi Ibex,

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I can’t find that drive with a bezel, which is what is needed for the eject button, also it is a discontinued drive so only old stock available and I need to be able to buy replacement drives as they fail.

I have a TSST SH-216DB which will rip anything, bit perfect. I also have 2 old Optiarc 7241s’s which are pretty decent, but not bit perfect.

The system is running Vortexbox which is based around Fedora and EAC.
I have tried the drive in Windows 8.1 and it exhibits the same behaviour.

Is it possible to dump the firmware and edit it for LG drives or run an app to change a setting like the TSST drives?

Is there any way to dump the firmware on this drive or run a utility?

flasher does not seem to work :frowning:

If your hardware is compatible, you can the instructions from post 38 of this thread to try this to extract the firmware: http://club.myce.com/f87/asus-bw-14d1xt-332076/index2.html#post2719466

If that doesn’t work, I don’t know of any other utility for LG drives based on MediaTek or Panasonic chipsets.

As for editing it… You’re probably going to be on your own, since no tool I know of will work with a drive that new (and none of the old tools I know of even touched CD reading speeds).

[QUOTE=Albert;2741972]If your hardware is compatible, you can the instructions from post 38 of this thread to try this to extract the firmware: http://club.myce.com/f87/asus-bw-14d1xt-332076/index2.html#post2719466

If that doesn’t work, I don’t know of any other utility for LG drives based on MediaTek or Panasonic chipsets.

As for editing it… You’re probably going to be on your own, since no tool I know of will work with a drive that new (and none of the old tools I know of even touched CD reading speeds).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply…

I ran the command and got this along with a 1024KB file.

C:\>flasher -d 1 -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00200000
Devilsclaw's LG Renesas Drive Utility
cmd_drive: Opening Drive: 1.
cmd_dumploc: Starting dumping process
firm_dumper: Failed to read from drive. Will write what we got so far
cmd_dumploc: Size of dump was smaller then asked still going to dump what we can

cmd_dumploc: Dump process finished

Then tried this and got a 2048KB File

C:\>flasher -d 1 -l LG.bin 1 80000000 00200000
Devilsclaw's LG Renesas Drive Utility
cmd_drive: Opening Drive: 1.
cmd_dumploc: Starting dumping process
cmd_dumploc: Dump process finished

Dumps: