LG FAQ 15 Jul Updates

I have updated the LG FAQ again. Changelog :

[ul]
[li]added information about H10L and E10x series of writers
[/li][li]H20N also gets a mention, although we know nothing about it yet
[/li][li]step by step instructions on how to use MCSE to remove riplock on LG writers
[/li][li]corrections about cross flashing GWA/GSA-4164Bs and 2164Ds->4166B to get lightscribe
[/li][li]confirmation about H20L and auto bitsetting
[/li][li]updated various questions which mention the H10N
[/li][li]new question about whether crossflashing H10N->H10L will give lightscribe
[/li][li]new questions about reverting to original firmware/model with H10A/N
[/li][li]cleaned up some of the formatting
[/li][li]various corrections, etc.
[/li][/ul]

Comments, corrections, additions, omissions? Feel free to post here :slight_smile:

I’d like to start with a thank you :slight_smile:

:bow:

Life’s GOOD!

Awesome job man…I know that it’s time consuming…know that the community appreciates your work.

hats off to you! :slight_smile:

would it be too much to ask that you post the question numbers that were changed/added ? i’d like to read the additions/changes but can’t be bothered to read the entire FAQ again!
(if not this time, then in future updates at least).
TIA.

Yes, it can be done. Fortunately, I actually edit the FAQ as a file in a word processing program, then transfer it into the forum. I had the changes written in a different colour so I knew which questions to update. So it isn’t that difficult.

Questions changed :
1, 3, 5, 10, 13, 14, 21, 22, 27, 29, 37 (only the question title was changed)

New questions added :
23, 24, 25, 40

thank you.

very clever!

Q10: the link is broken.
you shuold change it to http://www.lgservice.com/

Q21, when discussin H10A -> H10N, i think the info isn’t properly organized (IMO).

you list only the improved wiritng speed as the differences between H10N and H10A.
then you list the differences in reading speeds as “additional benefits” of the Hitachi JJ11 firmware. this is not accurate. the 16x for DVD+/-R, 13x for DVD+/-RW and 12x DVD-RAM reading speeds are H10N/L features, not benefits of the JJ11 firmware.

Good work, karranguni!

25.If I use one of the Hitachi firmware versions (DNxx, [B][U]Djxx[/U][/B], JJxx), can I switch back to standard LG firmware?

typo: Djxx -> DJxx

Dell has firmware update for GWA4164B; see info copied from their website.

"Release Title: Removable Storage: HLDS GWA-4164B HH 16X DVD+/-RW, Firmware, Multi OS, Multi Language, Multi System, v.E112, A03
Release Date: 30/05/2006
Criticality: Urgent
Description: Firmware update improving writes/reads to certain marginal CD-R, DVD-R and DVD+R discs. Also improves Self Test operation. "

Q40:
just thought i’d mention it, using a BenQ to scan some NEC drives (4550 if i recall correctly) shows a spike of PIE(or PIF can’t recall) that isn’t shown on other scanning drives and also doesn’t seem to affect readability.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=278&page=Performance
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21008

Am aware of that but I think those spikes appear when you use a Lite-On to scan as well (different model) :

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/259/4 (see the MCC003 scan)

Scans with Lite-On writers are usually done with kprobe, which has an option to “remove single spikes”, or something like that if I’m not wrong. So I suspect that is why most Lite-On scans don’t show the spikes in question.

I’ve also had someone complain to me that the spikes on discs burned with a 3550 caused had problems being read by one of his drives. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the exact details.

So I’m not so sure it’s the same thing as with the H10N. That is why I didn’t want to mention NEC writers in the list of burners mis-scanned by BenQ scanners - I’m not sure it is completely true.

Thanks to all for the correction and suggestions! No time at the moment to deal with them but will hopefully get down to correcting the FAQ in a day or two. :slight_smile:

[off-topic]Poor LG, they should have stayed with “Gold Star” name or just “Gumsung” like Samsung. LG = Lucky Goldstar or Lucky Gumsung. Gumsung = Venus or Gold Star. Samsung = Three Stars. Like NEC and NTT, it was a fashionable trend in South Korea to rename company names to English. Sunkyung -> SKC, Lucky Gumsung -> LG, Korea Telecom -> KT, and so on. The name change was mainly to attract North American consumers and investors. Toyota and Samsung are popular with their names unchanged.[/off-topic]

@karangguni

Can’t say anything other than [B]thank you[/B] as I don’t even have a DVD writer with me anymore (not within a few hundred kilometers, that is.) :slight_smile:

You’re absolutely correct. At the time I wrote that bit, the specs for the H10N were not available online yet. The H10A specs were available though. I didn’t know the H10N would not be riplocked for DVD+/-R/RW reading. Previous models of LG writers were all riplocked so I assumed the H10N would be as well. So I erred on the side of caution and put down only the H10A specs I knew.

When the H10N specs were at last available, I completely forgot about this.

Thanks for the correction! I’ve fixed this in my local copy (along with the broken link in Q10) and will batch update the online copy as soon as all the corrections to my local copy are done. :slight_smile:

Also fixed. Thanks!

Am well aware that Dell has firmware updates for this drive. However, there are two problems :

[ol]
[li]Firmware for Dell GWA-4164Bs may not work with GWA-4164Bs that came with HP or other brands of systems.
[/li][li]Dell doesn’t seem to have a download section specifically for drive firmware so I did not add a link to Dell’s website to download firmware from Dell.
[/li][/ol]
That is why I never added a link to Dell’s website before. What I have done is to include a link to Dell’s support and downloads section, with instructions on how to search for firmware.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Corrections have been made to the online FAQ, with changes made to the following questions :

10, 11, 21, 25