LG External USB Boot Problem

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-E60L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi Folks ,

I have a problem with my LG-E60L external DVD/CD Writer and was hoping that someone maybe able to offer some ideas.

I bought this drive as both of my internal drives died at the same time and as I have 3 puters in the house I did not want to have to buy a new internal drive for each, so decided that I would buy an external that I could just move between PC’s.

The problem that I have is that for some reason none of my puters (all self built) will boot to this drive. I have tried every setting possible in the BIOS but the drive does not even spin up on boot, I have also tried setting the external USB device as the only boot device in the priority but still no joy.

I thought this maybe an issue with my old motherboard but I have recently upgraded as per my signature and still the same issue. This has caused a real pain as I have had to resort to borrowing an internal IDE drive just to install my o/s. I would like to also mention that this problem was the same whilst I was using XP before moving to Win7 RC1 64bit.

I would like to add that the drive works brilliantly from within Windows and the only issue I have is on boot up.

I thought that this was likely to be a firmware issue but I have looked on the LG website but this model is not even listed.

Any help or idea’s anyone has would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks for your time.