LG DVD-writer and disc quality test

vbimport

Hello all

I’ve got a LG 4120B dvd writer and a liteon 166S dvd-rom. From some threads I knew that dvd-rom could not give accurate PI/PO(PIE) test due to difference in mechanism, in comparison with dvd-writer.

So what software could I use in my system to perform the PI/PO test? As Kproble, DVDinfopro and Nero CD/DVD Speed could not work for my LG writer.

Thank you for your reply.

I am a little annoyed by the fact that the above programs could not work for LG writer :confused: …but I dunno why, in particular LG writer is somehow popular.

Just try a CDSpeed transfer rate test, using hacked firmware on that 166S. http://codeguys.rpc1.org is where you can download it, and try the 14X and 16X versions. If the readback curve is smooth, your disc is fine.

Well LG just did not build the required functions into the firmware - maybe there is some hw support necessary as well.

ECC is (often? always?) not done by fw/software, but by hardware - afaik it involves long register bit shifting with feedback & it would be hard for even a fast cpu to do that with 22MB/sec (like you have at 16x speed).

Probably those drives which can report PIE/PIF have a kind of error counter coupled to the ECC hw which can be read. If LG spared the hw to read those registers/counters, no chance for error testing.

While this may sound sad, I have to say the scans of LG burns I did with my BenQ were really good, so probably LG just decided to make a good flawless everyday burner for people who are interested in saving data to DVD and not in error tests.

Maybe just get a really bad/old DVD-ROM drive and make the transfer rate test with that one, as suggested above. If a crap drive reads the disc ok, assume it to be good. I already had scans which were great but my crappy Tosh SD-C2402 laptop drive didnt read them. And I had worse scans it would happily read. So dont care too much about that scanning.

Thx so much to Bhairav and Oman for your prompt replies. It’s really great for me to visit this forum as I could learn a lot from experienced ppl.

I really want to do some PI/PO scans as I’ve got some Mitsubishi & Verbatim DVD discs and would like to know their quality & whether they are fake or not. The newly purchased spindle of Verbatim DVD+R 4X discs with media code of YUDEN000T02 … was it made by Taiyo Yuden???

BTW, I just did a speed scan and attach it as below. It seems the Verbatim disc DVD+R could not give smooth curve…Is there any problem?

Made by Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden together.

To me, that looks like a good reading graph. Try it on LG or make the read speed in 166S 10x or 12x or 14x max and run the TR test again.

If you want disc quality tests, get a BenQ DW1620. :wink:

Anyway, I have the same problem as dolpli does - but LG GSA-H12N burner and need to make PI/PO scans as a mean of assessing disk quality for myself and not relying on opinions of forum members about media similar to mine.

Is there any chance of my LG performing PI/PO tests? :confused:

Any advise on suitable software/tweaking my win xp pro/whatever would be welcomed a lot! :iagree:

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=king_lion;2180456]Anyway, I have the same problem as dolpli does - but LG GSA-H12N burner and need to make PI/PO scans as a mean of assessing disk quality for myself and not relying on opinions of forum members about media similar to mine.

Is there any chance of my LG performing PI/PO tests? :confused:

Any advise on suitable software/tweaking my win xp pro/whatever would be welcomed a lot! :iagree:

:)[/QUOTE]

Hello and welcom king_lion,
first of all, this is a three years old thread. and second, as far as i know you cant have PI/PE/Jitter with an LG drive, so either you have to rely on users that post scans, or you will have to get a drive that is capable of doing quality scans.

Some LGs with Panasonic chipset can do scans, H50-55 as far as I know. But no LGs with Renesas can do this, and H12 has Renesas, no way. If another drive should do it BenQ is not an option for this LG drive. Use LiteOn or Plextor.

Thank you for your quick replying, [B]vroom[/B] and [B]BurningFish[/B]!

Sadly, it seems like having to set by money for a LiteOn ot Plextor… (or better still post a wish to Santa Claus - I was a good boy) :rolleyes:

Wish you Happy New 2009 Year!
:wink:

[B]BurningFish[/B],

just out of curiosity - why LG GSA-H12N is not compatible with BenQ ?

If you had H12N for burning and wanted PI/PE/Jitter measured which drive would you prefer - LinteOn or Plextor?

:slight_smile:

I cannot get my H55L to do Quality Scans. I am unaware of any that will. LG just doesn’t do it. You have to rely on TRT testing and the smoothness of the line, and multiple repeat TRT results (also cycle a Disc reload). Some may jossle around a bit towards the end at faster speeds but that doesn’t mean it can’t read the data 100%. Always do a ‘ScanDisc’, you’ll see the data readability may show all green even when the TRT is a bit messy. ImgBurn has a verify function to test your Burn against the Image on the HDrive.

The speeds where the most TRT trouble will show will mostly be above 12x. But DVD players run far slower than that, and would not likely encounter any problem reading the outer part of the Disc as they run at a much slower RPM.

I have found an .ISO to produce a jossled up TRT at the end; and then created a .NRG with the same data and burned a smooth TRT line. Both Burned with ‘Create Disc’ on the Nero CD/DVD tool (Same Media- Maxell 16x CMC Mag M01) . There are a number of factors involved. (TRT tests to 16x.) (Not the least of which is the Media quality, of course)

I suspect LG figures a 4x-6x TRT is sufficient and will always show a smooth line for DVD-Video. So they Firmware locked DVD-Video read and tests at this speed. You would have to Hack the Firmware with MCSE to run tests at higher speeds.

[QUOTE=king_lion;2185045][

just out of curiosity - why LG GSA-H12N is not compatible with BenQ ?

If you had H12N for burning and wanted PI/PE/Jitter measured which drive would you prefer - LinteOn or Plextor?

[/QUOTE]

Nobody knows the reason, but the BenQ sees by scanning H10, H12 burns green. :slight_smile: He will show you massive PIF failures, but scanning the same burn with Plextor or LiteOn will show thats not the burn but the BenQ who has some special reading problem with the burns of these LG Renesas drives.

[QUOTE=DLW;2188332]I cannot get my H55L to do Quality Scans. I am unaware of any that will. LG just doesn’t do it.[/QUOTE]

Some of the H50-58 will do it (Panasonic chipset) I have seen one, http://www.bm-community.de/post196897.html#p196897 But of course you must edit the blocked devices entry before I think. How trustworthy these scans are is another question. :slight_smile:

Yes you can edit the registry and enable the Disc Quality tab to run but its useless. I tried it, and it was just a useless line of irrelevent data. There are several other Drives in that Registry key too. All there for the same reason; lack of the [B]firmware/hardware[/B] required. LG been asked to enable it but they won’t do it. They don’t believe its a reliable test evaluater on a Consumer level DVD drive. Only on very expensive high level test equipment.

I can’t read the language but the pictures are familiar. He is using a H58. Well I don’t know about that drive and these scan results. Can’t read the site. It is possible something been done to H58 but I’m not sure. H55 and below, no way.

[QUOTE=DLW;2188361] There are several other Drives in that Registry key too. All there for the same reason; lack of the [B]firmware/hardware[/B] required. [/QUOTE]

We all know this :slight_smile: and it is correct for the Renesas drives, but the H50-58 don’t use Renesas chipset.

[QUOTE=DLW;2188361]
He is using a H58. [/QUOTE]

It’s an LG with working discqualitytest :), so enough to withdraw your opinion LG will never do it. :slight_smile: The H58 uses same Panasonic hardware as your H55 do but other firmware, so their might be a difference. I have none of the Panasonic LG drives to test. But maybe you should recheck the blocked devices entry cause it has moved in newer CD-DVD speed version on another place, so you might still have your device blocked.

Yea, I got you … I went into the registry and took all the blocks out. I downloaded the Latest DiscSpeed 4. I fired up the Disc Quality and set it to some basics. This Disc is CMC Mag M01 and usually is a bit skiddish on quality. It tests out fine on multiple TRTs. The Disc Quality scan is showing various results that do match the various good disc burns as oppossed to the bad ones I have. So its giving me good relative data but not likely a correct relative data to all the other scanners. This looks pretty bad but disc works well. Others I have that do work but don’t pass a TRT clean, look terrible on this test. I haven’t been able to do this before and I know a number of other LG users who were unable to get any results they could use for testing quality. Something has changed. Here is an example: