LG DVD-RW GSA-4040B and region free

I changed my region setting for 4 times (allowed by ?manufacturer?). Now I can’t change DVD-RW’s region anymore. Only 4 vendor resets are allowed now.

1. Have been looking for patched firmware, but looks like it is not released yet.
  2. Have been looking for LG’s software for vendor’s reset, but couldn’t find it (not for customer’s use)
  3. Flashed firmware, but nothing changed
  4. Have tryed with DVD region free 3.2, but it doesn’t work.
    DVD shrink: inncorect region
    DVD decrypter: region mismatched
    PowerDVD: region playback control…
    All of those programs are listed in DVD region free settings.
  5. Tryed with DVD genie and it doesn’t work too. The same problem as with DVD region free.
    Unit is region 2 and I would like to watch/backup region 1 DVDs.

Any ideas, besides taking unit to vendor for reset?
Is 4 times changing of region software or hardware matter? Would reinstall of WindowsXP solve my problem? Did anyone make DVD region free 3.2 working with LG GSA-4040B?
Thanks for help :bow:

Investigate AnyDVD and DVD RegionFree. They use different methods to achieve the same ends, namely that the flow of data from your DVD arrives at the software Region free, Macrovision free, RCE free, CSS free and God knows what.
The only thing that isn’t free is the cost of these programs!

-Pete

Whoops! I see you’ve already tried RegionFree. In that case, and assuming you’ve tried the latest version, you should give AnyDVD a whirl.

(Have you reported your lack of success to RegionFree’s publishers?)

Is 4 times changing of region software or hardware matter?

it’s a firmware matter. u might be able to reset the number of changes if u update/overwrite the existing firmware on ur drive (i don’t remember if this can reset it or not).

you could try excellent dvdidle pro, too
http://www.dvdidle.com

Originally posted by AZImmortal
it’s a firmware matter. u might be able to reset the number of changes if u update/overwrite the existing firmware on ur drive (i don’t remember if this can reset it or not).

Flashing firmware doesn’t reset it.

Originally posted by Peter McCall
[B]Investigate AnyDVD and DVD RegionFree. They use different methods to achieve the same ends, namely that the flow of data from your DVD arrives at the software Region free, Macrovision free, RCE free, CSS free and God knows what.
The only thing that isn’t free is the cost of these programs!

-Pete

Whoops! I see you’ve already tried RegionFree. In that case, and assuming you’ve tried the latest version, you should give AnyDVD a whirl.

(Have you reported your lack of success to RegionFree’s publishers?) [/B]

I can watch movies with AnyDVD, but programs like DVD decrypter or DVD shrink doesn’t work:( . I get blue screen with hardware error message.

Hmmm…

Well, you shouldn’t need to use DVD Decrypter with AnyDVD, of course. The use of one obviates the other:)

I’m a bit surprised that Shrink plus AnyDVD gives you a problem. I’ve just tested the combination of the two and they seem fine on my machine (W2K Pro). Forgive me for asking, but you are using a legit version of AnyDVD, aren’t you? This software operates at the driver level and I could well imagine an ineptly cracked version giving you all sorts of hassle, including the symptoms you describe.

Which version of both programs are you using?

-Pete

AnyDVD is 2.1.0.9 (21 days trial period)
Can’t find a crack for that new version (only for 2.0.0.9 is crack available, but I can’t find 2.0.0.9 version of program :slight_smile:
DVD shrink is 3.0 beta 5

Lime:

This may be my fault, but when I asked you about ‘cracked versions’ I did not mean to imply that I in any way condoned the practice!:eek:

Anything to do with warez, cracks and the like is strictly forbidden on this forum. It can easily get you banned.

No probs this time; you’re a new reader and I might have given you the wrong idea, but please, no more in future:D

With regard to your immediate problem, I think your best now is to contact SlySoft with your system’s details and see if they can shed any light on the matter.

-Pete

OK. Understood.

IT WORKS :bigsmile:

AnyDVD 2.0.0.9 + DVD shrink 3.0. beta 5 works fine.

Thank you all for help :bow:

I too couldn’t get DVD Region-Free (3.0.5 IIRC) to play an R1 movie on my R2 locked LG-4040B drive. As stated, there isn’t a hacked firmware available either. And the first time I ran AnyDVD 2.1.0.9 it wouldn’t work.

Obviously I was royally pissed. Then I just launched PowerDVD again in a desperate attempt and voilá! Everything worked. I don’t think I changed any settings between the tries. Hmm.

Oh well, can’t complain.:cool: