LG DVD RAM GSA-4082B problem reading RAM discs

vbimport

I have for the past few years been happily using a Panasonic DMR-50 DVD Video Recorder to record TV programs on to RAM discs, which I then load into my LG GSA 4082B DVD reader/writer, and use the DVD-MovieAlbum Copy Tool to extract/copy individual recordings to my PC’s hard disc - and then later I produce DVD-R’s of selected recordings, which can be played on any DVD player.

In the past week or so my LG 4082B has had a problem reading the RAM discs, and tells me to insert a (UDF 2.0 format) RAM disc when there is one already loaded. Then if I put the RAM disc back into the Panasonic Video Recorder it says the RAM disc is Unformatted (i.e. it thinks it’s corrupt).

The DVD RAM is OK before it’s transferred from the Panasonic to the LG - I can edit out adverts from TV recordings etc, and play the edited clips, so it’s not the Panasonic that’s “corrupting” the RAM disc.

Just to confuse me even more, the LG DVD unit will still read DVD-RW and other formats of disc that I’ve recorded a while before this problem appeared - it seems to be just the RAM discs that are unreadable / being corrupted.

Help !

Hi,

have you installed the DVD-RAM drivers that came with that drive? You may have a look into the documentation provided with the drivers, as there are some useful hints concerning the use of DVD-RAM on the computer AND a standalone recorder.

Also, this should be a rather widespread issue with some LG drives.

Michael

[quote=mciahel;1685674]Hi,

have you installed the DVD-RAM drivers that came with that drive? You may have a look into the documentation provided with the drivers, as there are some useful hints concerning the use of DVD-RAM on the computer AND a standalone recorder.

Also, this should be a rather widespread issue with some LG drives.

Michael[/quote]

I am afraid I have discovered that Windows Vista does not support DVD RAM disks. I copied data from my old computer with Windows XP with LG Optical Drive. I have newer version of LG Optical Drive but it does not read the DVD RAM disks. I can not get through to Microsoft to notify it. Hope oneday they will update Vista to read DVD RAM.

For DVD-RAM discs burned on standalones the drive requires installed DVD-VR drivers.

[quote=Velshedan;1684061]I have for the past few years been happily using a Panasonic DMR-50 DVD Video Recorder to record TV programs on to RAM discs, which I then load into my LG GSA 4082B DVD reader/writer, and use the DVD-MovieAlbum Copy Tool to extract/copy individual recordings to my PC’s hard disc - and then later I produce DVD-R’s of selected recordings, which can be played on any DVD player.

In the past week or so my LG 4082B has had a problem reading the RAM discs, and tells me to insert a (UDF 2.0 format) RAM disc when there is one already loaded. Then if I put the RAM disc back into the Panasonic Video Recorder it says the RAM disc is Unformatted (i.e. it thinks it’s corrupt).

The DVD RAM is OK before it’s transferred from the Panasonic to the LG - I can edit out adverts from TV recordings etc, and play the edited clips, so it’s not the Panasonic that’s “corrupting” the RAM disc.

Just to confuse me even more, the LG DVD unit will still read DVD-RW and other formats of disc that I’ve recorded a while before this problem appeared - it seems to be just the RAM discs that are unreadable / being corrupted.

Help ![/quote]

I found that the problem is actually Windows Vista because the same DVD RAM disc plays in my old computer with Windows XP. Both the optical discs are LG drives. The Vista machine plays all other DVD disks except RAM. I wanted to report it to MS but I was advised to report to computer vendor as the computer came with all preloaded drivers. So I have done that and hope to hear from them

Hi,[QUOTE=Pradhan;1971831]I am afraid I have discovered that Windows Vista does not support DVD RAM disks.[/quote]:disagree: Vista does support DVD-RAM. It even supports UDF format in write mode, so no additional drivers are needed.

I copied data from my old computer with Windows XP with LG Optical Drive. I have newer version of LG Optical Drive but it does not read the DVD RAM disks. (…) Hope oneday they will update Vista to read DVD RAM.
It’s not Vista. It’s either your system configuration or your drive. Especially OEM drives that come with computers from Dell or HP etc., have a reduced feature set. Check with Nero Info Tool.

Michael