LG dvd burner?

vbimport

i could grab one of those (4x +/- R, something around 2x for +/- RW and something else for DVD-RAM!!!) for as little as 235€.
do you think it is a worthy drive?
i need serious answers :stuck_out_tongue:
thanks a lot :smiley:

In Germany I can get the drive for 195,50 at www.reichelt.de - don’t know about the prices in italy.
But I don’t know anything about the burning quality of this drive. Sorry

In a local computer magazine, it got the first price out of 11 or 12 drives. Too bad it weren’t in-depth tests like they do here. I can look it up if you want.

Originally posted by dansmug
In a local computer magazine, it got the first price out of 11 or 12 drives. Too bad it weren’t in-depth tests like they do here. I can look it up if you want.
if it is worthy and if it ain’t a big hassle it could turn out to be handy :wink:
thanks

nicw (Author of DVDInfoPro) seems lo like it so far.
http://www.netfarer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10

DVD-RAM is really not a bad format, the only thing holding it back is the poor compatibility.

Originally posted by dhc014
[B]nicw (Author of DVDInfoPro) seems lo like it so far.
http://www.netfarer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10

DVD-RAM is really not a bad format, the only thing holding it back is the poor compatibility. [/B]
thanks a lot for the quick review :smiley:

back to dvd-ram: if it was up to me, it would be the only format available, as i think it is the one which has the best possibilities.

my standalone dvd recorder will be a panasonic, else i’ll try to kill my dad :bigsmile:

Well, I have one installed in my computer right now. with the A300 firmware update installed.

Can’t say I like it at all as I can’t find any good sides with it beside that it do support all formats and supports “correct efm encoding of regular bit patterns”.

Downsides:
-Only one DVD-R brand that I’ve been able to use at 4X is ritek G04.
-Not all DVD+R 4X discs works at 4X.
-Slow at writing DVD-RAM (40 minutes for a 4,2Gb disc at 3X) I may have lost something about the DVD-RAM format though, so maybe 3X DVD-RAM is the same as about 1,5X DVD-R/+R? Should not be so according to nero (said writing at 41xxKb/s). But still it used about 41 minutes.
-VERY BAD WRITE QUALITY, when discs is scanned in K-probe at least.
-ReWriting issues (may be an incd bug as well)
-Poor compatibility with DVD-RW discs.

I’m thinking about making a review of it, but I’m hoping for a firmware update to cure some problems first.

My recommendation would be a pioneer A06 or Lite-on LDW-411S.

don’t know about other people but I have an GSA4040BI and it provides more than I ask for. I have been using it for more than a month now. All the media that I use are dvd+r for high quality. As for Dvd+R brand? what ever is cheapest in the market. It cost about $200 USD (shipping included) and its about $160 USD right now. As for the writing speed -> it is what it said on the box.

4x dvd+r -> 12 minutes with nero
2.4x dvd+r -> 23 minutes with Nero

It has been running non stop for over a month now and it hasn’t giving any trouble. I haven’t try out the include DVD-RAM yet … I will follow up on this post after this weekend and let you know.
I was going to get the SONY brand but decided that they want 2 much for it.

Cheer,

le2k

LG GSA 4040b
Manufactured August 2003
Firmware VA300
Fantastic, is all I can say.
Use mostly Verbatim Media, and can burn -R & +R @ 4 speed
full data disc (9,436 files) in 15 minutes flat
Software Roxio 6 ver 6.1.1.17 (trouble free now for 17 weeks by the way)

Bought Sony DRU500, packed up after 8 hours (only lasted 2 burns)
Bought Sony DRU 510, packed up after 9 days. (7 burns and then would not read the discs it burned. (flawed design, weak laser)

LG GSA 4040B (A300)
Manufactured September 2003

Have tried:

Princo DVD-R
Lifetec DVD-R
Benq DVD-R
Platinum DVD-R
Sky DVD-R
Primeon DVD-RW

Verbatim DVD+R
TDK DVD+R
Verbatim DVD+RW

No problems so far.

Do your princo discs work at 4X (if they are 4X certified)?

Do you have other cheap 4X media? if so do they work at 4X?

For excellent comparative analysis of the LG GSA-4040B, Toms Hardware ran a study on 11 multimode burners in September. It came out quite well, and seems to be a best buy contender. I know I’m in the market! Good and cheap seldom are jointly found, but… The report can be found under Mass Storage at http://www.tomshardware.com.
Hope this helps a little in the search for decent equipment. Good data and validation of testing seems to be a standard for the site, very reliable and thorough reportage.

I’m correcting the previous post. Although Toms Hardware did the research in September '03, the effective report release date was 27. October. Sorry for any created confusion. Septober, Octember…brain damage showing…Sorry!
At any rate, good research on 11 multimode units, well worth looking at before buying any versatile CD/DVD burner.
Har det bra!

It appears that everyone on the entire internet loves the 4040B except for OC? Or perhaps everyone on the entire internet cares less about data integrity than OC does (c:=

Larry, I think Tom’s Hardware cares about data integrity, but didn’t do the in-depth testing like that done by OC Freak, which was required to find the difficulties with data integrity. They did a comparative study of 11 manufacturers’ products with much more limited testing than OC Freak did on the GSA-4040B. I’m only glad both sites exist, and appreciate the work done by both.

Wouldn’t it be great to have a careful study such as the 4040B review done on each of the leading contenders-but who in this world has enough time to do such a study?
Thanks again, Tor-best review ever! :bow:

I have a LG GSA4040B two Weeks now, but i burn only 4 DVD’s until now.
DVD-R is ok, DVD+R Data Disks are not readable on all my DVD Roms, - maybe the Platinum Discs are not the best or my DVD Roms are to old for DVD+R?
See my Results below:

1. Princo 2x DVD-R: Data Disk with Nero 6…19
    SCSI Toshiba SD-M1201: not readable
    Notebook Combi QSI SBW-161: not readable
    Liteon DVD Rom LTD 163D: not readable
    LG GSA4040B: readable but no Data shown in Explorer, with ISOBuster i see all Data (ISO) and the Joliet Entrys are not correct

2. Princo 2x DVD-R: Data Disk with Nero 6…19
    SCSI Toshiba SD-M1201: ok
    Notebook Combi QSI SBW-161: ok
    Liteon DVD Rom LTD 163D: ok
    LG GSA4040B: ok

3. Princo 2x DVD-R: Video DVD with Clone DVD 1.3.9.8
    SCSI Toshiba SD-M1201: ok
    Notebook Combi QSI SBW-161: ok
    Liteon DVD Rom LTD 163D: ok
    LG GSA4040B: ok
    Standalone DVD Player
    Pioneer DV 444: ok
    Elta 8891 DVCD: ok
    Sony ??: ok

4. Platinum 4x DVD+R: Data Disk with Nero 6…19
    SCSI Toshiba SD-M1201: not readable
    Notebook Combi QSI SBW-161: not readable
    Liteon DVD Rom LTD 163D: not readable
    LG GSA4040B: readable

9Franz9:
Please read OC Freak’s article reviewing the GSA 4040B at: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/126/1 This should allow you to sort out what is going on with your machine. The threads following this excellent article document more than a few problems with this writer. So far, LGE hasn’t released any fixes I know of, but we can all keep hoping…

Well, all I can say is this:
I have 2 4040b’s and have burned approx 60 DVD’s (47 Video & 13 data) and have not had a single problem to date.
Firmware A300
Disc’s used: Verbatim 4x -R made in Japan
Verbatim 4x +R made in Japan
(all Yuden)
Verbatim 4x -R made in Taiwan
Verbatim 4x +R made in Singapore MCC
Verbatim 2.4+RW made in Singapore MCC
These disc’s are the cheapest good quality disc’s locally, and we don’t have a big variety usually. (Princo & Melody available, but I think these are crap.)
all burned at 4x except +RW (2.4) approx 14 min in: CopytoDVD & Roxio 6
No errors in CD Speed 2.10, smooth speed graph, no dips and scan disc 100% error free in the following units:
LG 8161b DVD
LG 8162b DVD
Toshiba 1612 DVD
Asus 616 DVD
LG 4040b DVD Writer
Aopen 2412 DVD Writer
HP 300i DVD Writer
I am extremly happy with this unit.

antons

I suggest you update your firmware to 301A, burns DVD-R Princo’s at 4x no trouble,

Superb DVD Writer, 40 burns all perfect!.