LG DVD burner problem

Have been using my LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B for quite a while with no problems. i burn a lot of DVD data disks. Just yesterday i started having problems doing this, i always check ‘Verify data’ because every now and then you get a bum disk. Now the burns are taking at least twice if not three times as long and the Verify Data tool always comes back with quite a few errors. If you are familiar with the burn screen in Nero, the Buffer Level panel now continuosly drops off and then goes to 100%, every half second or so (makes an attrractive continuous pulsating sound), while the Used Read Buffer panel essentially stays at 100%, before the Used Read Buffer panel would empty a bit and build back to 100% but just every so often. Any ideas? Not very technical

Running XP Home, using DVD+R disks, Nero 6 to burn

Cheers

Welcome to the forum

It seems a DMA problem. Check if DMA is active

Thanks

I ran Nero info tool and it says that DMA is off for the LG drive. Should it be on? and if so how do you turn it on?

Yes, should be on

Go to device manager, expand item “IDE ATA/ATAPI” and double ckick on IDE channel to which is connected your burner (I think secondary). Activate DMA from here, and restart computer to activate correctly

ill give it a try and let you know

thanks

You’re welcome

I tried that but when i run Infotool it still says DMA is off for the LG drive. In Device Manager -
Secondary IDE Channel - Properties:
Device 0: Transfer Mode - DMA if available; Current Transfer Mode = PIO Mode
Devide1: Transfer Mode - DMA if available; Current Transfer Mode = Ultra DMA Mode

Not sure what all this means…?

Setting is correct then.

It’s important how good quality the discs are you are using…

Its the same quality ive been using for about a year now with about a 2-3% fail rate, but since this started ive burned about 8 coasters in a row. Certainly not the best quality but really havent had any problems until now

Nero InfoTool still says DMA is off for the LG drive?

Cheers

What IDE drives do you have installed? Standard microsoft or other (nVidia or intel or other)?

Some mainboards set DMA also in BIOS: check if DMA is enabled in BIOS

Like i said im not very technical but ill include a portion of the log from Infotool, is this the info you are asking about?

Adapter 2

Description : Primary IDE Channel

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver

Attached Devices
Description : Master: MAXTOR 6L080L4
Type : Disk Drive
DMA : On

Adapter 3

Description : Primary IDE Channel

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver

Attached Devices
Description : Master: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B
Type : CD-Rom Drive
DMA : Off
Autorun : On
Description : Slave: HP CD-Writer+ 9300
Type : CD-Rom Drive
DMA : On
Autorun : On

Cheers

Are you really sure about that?
The problem is that the quality of the media is always changing, regardless if it’s the same brand/mid etc or not. :rolleyes:

I bought them all at the same time so I suspect that there would not be this dramatic change in quality

In the good old time when a CD Burner was a cool thing I had an similar problem. Never problems burning CDs and from one day I had problems, burning CDs. After a verfy I had verification errors in almost every media. It took a longer time to find out. I changed the cable to the burner, changed drivers… the problem was still there.
I changed the memory and the problem was gone. I could reproduce the problem. I checked both changed memory modules with a memory checker software and found out, a small memory area of one module was defect…

Upgraded the firmware and DMA is now on… doers this make sense?

Enabling DMA surely is a good thing. Without DMA there is a very high probability that burner don’t receive enough data to burn correctly.

Also upgrading firmware can solve many problems.

To verify if all this improved things try to burn a rewritable. If you obtain a coaster, is possible to erase it without waste media.

Would like to thank all the people who responded

You’re welcome.