LG Drive placed in USB encloser now kaput

Hi peeps.

It’s a bit of a sad story that brought me here. I bought an 8800GT which is just an awesome card, but it was a bit longer than my previous 7800GT. This normally wouldn’t be a problem except that my mobo’s IDE connector is placed perpendicular to my PCI-E slot – and now the 8800GT just cut off that slot.

End result, my LG GSA-4167B IDE drive no longer had a place called home. I took it out and put it in my old USB enclosure that used to hold a Lite On burner. This enclosure worked perfectly well and could read and write disks fine with the Liteon.

Now though I put in the LG and while I can read disks just fine, I can’t write.I get a “Could not perform end of Disc-at-once” error each time, even during Simulation. And this drive worked perfectly well when it was connected via IDE, using the same media, same everything.

At first I thought the USB port of my PC might not have been updated to USB 2.0 and as such the low speed of USB 1.1 might be causing errors, but I’ve been doing checking and it seems I do have an Enhanced USB Controller installed and I don’t get those annoying “Your device could be faster” pop-ups so I believe I have USB 2.0 properly installed.

Any ideas what is causing the error? Is it because I moved it to an enclosure? I am seriously considering buying a new SATA burner because of this, but if anyone can solve the problem that would do just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The enclosure might not supply enough power, or the power stability might not be good enough. [This LG drive has been known to be sensitive to poor quality power supplies]. Or the USB bridge might not work well with the LG.

Maybe another enclosure would help. I would personally put the drive back in the computer to make sure it’s fine, to be on the safe side.

Hi,[QUOTE=Mochan;1949394]
Now though I put in the LG and while I can read disks just fine, I can’t write.I get a “Could not perform end of Disc-at-once” error each time, even during Simulation. And this drive worked perfectly well when it was connected via IDE, using the same media, same everything.

Any ideas what is causing the error? Is it because I moved it to an enclosure? [/QUOTE]Yes. LG drives don’t work nice in external enclosures. Maybe crossflashing the drive to Hitachi firmware (you’d have to reinstall your drive internally for this) will help. Please read the LG DVD writer [B]FAQ[/B] for details and also search the LG DVD burner forum for further information.

Michael

Thanks for the replies. I just bought a new DVD drive, a Samsung N203. It basically just costs thrice what I paid for my current enclosure, and like less than twice that of a good quality enclosure. DVD burners have grown so cheap these days. This new one solved all my problems, although introduced a new one, not a big issue but a minor inconvenience.

It’s a SATA drive, my first time to use SATA, and I just discovered it triggers the “Unplug Arrow” (the green arrow for “Safely remove hardware” in Windows XP) because of the hot swap feature… it is kind of annoying to have since I never plan to detach this drive.

Well anyway this drive is good at burning as well so it’s all good. I now use the LG drive mainly to read. Perhaps if I ever put it into my PC again I will flash it to Hitachi.