LG CD-RW CED-80808 on a W/ME dinosaur

Hello all. I bought the dinosaur (a Dell Dimension) several years ago for a lady friend. It has Windows/ME (I hope that isn’t considered obscene language). I never got around to trying the CD-RW until today. I would like to use a DOS command window to set up backup bats (PKZIP first etc) – that gave “can’t write to network drive”. Tried using the Windows Explorer to format a blank CD; didn’t work (which I think I can do on my home machine, using W/98 and I think a Hitachi CD-RW). Went looking for drivers and got befuddled. Are there drivers somewhere or should I just give up?

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

First off what model is your Dell? And have you gone to Dell site searched their support to find something that match your system. And if you have to they should have the software updates to your system. We do need a little more info on your system to see what is going on.

Also look at LG web site on the particular model burner to see if they have a firmware update or drive for that unit.

Hi and Welcome!

So what? My wife is also running WinME on her machine. Works for her.

I never got around to trying the CD-RW until today. I would like to use a DOS command window to set up backup bats (PKZIP first etc) – that gave “can’t write to network drive”.
Seems as you try to access the CDRW like a floppy disc. Doesn’t work without additional software.
Tried using the Windows Explorer to format a blank CD; didn’t work (which I think I can do on my home machine, using W/98 and I think a Hitachi CD-RW).[7quote]I suppose, you are running XP on your own computer. This feature was introduced with Windows XP.

[quote] Went looking for drivers and got befuddled. Are there drivers somewhere or should I just give up?
You need packet writing software like Nero’s InCD or Sonic DLA.
Or: Install a LG DVD-RAM drive, see if you can find Win9x versions of Panasonic’s DVD-RAM drivers and you are almost done. On Win9x/ME, an additional logical drive is installed allowing to be used like a floppy disc.

Michael

Hello coolcolors and mciahel, thanks for the tips! Once I get a success, I will post again.