LG BP40NS20 Portable Blu-Ray burner review

I just posted the article LG BP40NS20 Portable Blu-Ray burner review.

The LG BP40NS is a USB2 powered blu-ray burner that comes packed with a lot of extra features, it can burn and read BDXL discs and also MDISC’s. In this review we will ake a look on the overall performance of the drive. You can contiue reading the reivew.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/lg-bp40ns20-portable-blu-ray-burner-review-62398/](http://www.myce.com/review/lg-bp40ns20-portable-blu-ray-burner-review-62398/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thanks! Glad to see the slimtype Drive also supports overspeed burning on BD-R.

Making a blu ray burner with USO 2.0 is stupid, so is an 802.11ac adapter…
the throughput is just not there dummies! Change the interface to 3.0, ethernet, sata or hdmi otherwise you’ve just wasted making a product that should be on the junk heap of history.

That is the known buffer issue from ODC. Although the Drive uses USB 2.0 connection, it still can write BD-R at over 6x if using ImgBurn or CDSpeed.

Is it a samsung or pioneer clone orr the other way around??

hi, i’m looking for an information i don’t find the true anywhere ! , LG on website say Yes other shop no, but i need it , is it a LIGHTSCRIBE burner ? , nobody know it, did you see it somewhere, box … on the burner ?

Thanks best regards

[QUOTE=thecramp;2658942]hi, i’m looking for an information i don’t find the true anywhere ! , LG on website say Yes other shop no, but i need it , is it a LIGHTSCRIBE burner ? , nobody know it, did you see it somewhere, box … on the burner ?

Thanks best regards[/QUOTE]

Hi and welcome thecramp.

The drive that i got for the review doesn’t have any lightscribe support, if there is a drive with lightscribe support is should have the LS instead of the NS.

Just to give an example on that to look for, however i wasn’t able to locate an LS version of the BP40, so it probably doest exist.

BP40[B]NS[/B]20 NS=Non lightscribe
BP40[B]LS[/B]20 LS=Lightscribe

Hi, thanks .
it’s incredible we can’t trust features list even on LG website, they say YEs !

Thank you much, i found the LG bp06lu10 it’s written “lightscribe” i’ll take this one. (discontinued US webisite, still sold on french website ! don’t know why !)

Thanks best regards.

I tried Verbatim LTH BD-R 6x and selected the 6x speed, but I had the same situation. It was stucked at 4.8, with lot of buffer jumps and downs.
I will also try regular Verbatim BD-R at 6x.

Anyone have idea what cause this?

Thanx!!!

I actually pass “magic” 4.8x today :slight_smile:

But, again, lot of bufer jumps. What do You think, is there any idea to improve this, or it is normal for external?

I believe that this is normal, USB2 can only reach 30MB/Sec and also can provide only 0.5A so for me this is normal. I had the same experience on my review when i tried to burn a BD at 6x maybe if the drive was a USB3 it could have a better performance.

I guess probably it is, but I saw on other review (cdrlabs) very stable burns on 6x (for SL and DL), that’s why I ask

Even these looks very good:

I don’t know is that have anything to do with motherboard chipset, or anything else.

Thanx!

It could be a chipset thing, but in my case i have 3 USB ports working all the time, keyboard, mouse and my WiFi, so add another two for the LG, so that makes it a total of 5 usb ports working.

However, if you look at this post, you will see that there is also a drop in the end, so i think that it has to do with how often the drive needs to recalibrate. The more often it does the more you get a low buffer and a low burn speed.

I also have keyboard an mouse attached to usb all the time. It’s not that 6x speed is a “must” for me, but I wanted to try full speed.

Next time I will use PS/2 mouse, free all usb ports and try, to see is there any difference.

Yes, that’s does the job. Before I start burn, I disconnected mouse and keyboard from usb, leaving only LG as usb powered device.

I finally got stable burn, so that conclude my question. I guess when I get usb 3.0 usb ports, it will be even better. Thanx for info, vroom!

New burn, this time on USB 3.0 ports. Stable and fast. Definitely USB 2.0 was slow or low power for this burner in my case.

[QUOTE=zivija;2691848]New burn, this time on USB 3.0 ports. Stable and fast. Definitely USB 2.0 was slow or low power for this burner in my case.[/QUOTE]

That’s nice to see.