LG Blue ray Burner WH14NS40 - OEM

vbimport

Recently purchased the LG Blue ray Burner WH14NS40 - OEM. Seems LG has a good reputation for optical drives, arrived DOA but they were quick with handling the RMA. After that experience I did some research and see they are padding their reviews at amazon. People reviewing multiple lg optical drives all 5star no other products covered. Did I make a mistake with lg or do you guys like them?

The software included with the drive installed an lg firmware update program that wants to run every time I restart the computer, thinking of uninstalling, is it worth keeping and can it be adjusted?

The drive is still [B]too new![/B]

There is no need for that sucker starting up every time. You can check easily their odd support sites manually. :wink:
You will even read here the latest news when a update is out.

Just joined the thread - today.
Reading the threads today, two big question marks showed for me. [U]Speedlocking [/U]and possible [U]Lack of support[/U] for this model of burner.Is the LG WH14NS40 burner Speedlocked? Does that mean it won’t record at the advertised speeds nor read at the advertised speeds [while ripping]? I plan to use this burner for Blu Ray media only. Are DVDs and Blu Ray media both impacted? I’ve read about MCSE. I’m not sure Is it used to Speed Up BLU RAYs or only DVDs?. I understand that it might be a long time before MCSE supports my model[if it ever is a high enough priority]. Should I be concerned about Speedlock?
I’ve just learned a bit from reading the threads of the forum today:My burner is too new for much on the forum. I learned that this burner is likely manufactured for LG Canada. Dealers are the only source of support. [I bought it from Newegg]. [I]I haven’t installed it yet.[/I] I looked for a user manual on the net and couldn’t find one nor could I find any firmware download site. I did see mention of “some support sites” in a comment about this WH14NS40. What are those?
I have no problem that it is OEM and doesn’t ship with software and such. [U]I am concerned that there won’t be any firmware upgrades and such.[/U]For new products there are usually firmware upgrades. With no LG support will I have an orphan product? I would like to know while I have an option to return my burner to the dealer.
[U]The following will provide a little background so folks may advise me to get another burner or not.[/U]
I am not afraid of getting [U]a bit [/U]technical, but have no desire to have to “fix” [or even replace soon]an orphan burner. I save my tech efforts to keep my [I]Hackintosh [/I]system running. My [I]Hackintosh[/I] is Mac OSX Lion system running on a non-Apple PC. I have a Win 7 system on the same PC. It takes a lot of care to keep the [I]Hackintosh[/I] running and up-to-date.

[U]What do you folks recommend to a total Blu Ray beginner like me buying[keeping in my case] the WH14NS40 burner?[/U]

I purchased a WH14NS40 from NEWEGG and I also registered it on the LG web site. I’m very happy with it as it burns both Verbatim 6x and Digistor 6x at 12x. The scans are good and the discs play in Bluray players

Go here http://www.lgsolutions.com/products/digital-storage/optical-disc-drives/blu-ray-drives-internal/bh14ns40-blu-ray-disc-rewriter-internal-sata-14x-super-multi-blue-
It has everything about the BH14NS40 which is the same as the WH14NS40

Heres another site:

[QUOTE=vienna01;2641336]Just joined the thread - today.
Reading the threads today, two big question marks showed for me. [U]Speedlocking [/U]and possible [U]Lack of support[/U] for this model of burner.[INDENT]Is the LG WH14NS40 burner Speedlocked? Does that mean it won’t record at the advertised speeds nor read at the advertised speeds [while ripping]? I plan to use this burner for Blu Ray media only. Are DVDs and Blu Ray media both impacted?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum :flower:

Previous LG blu-ray drives have been riplocked. This refers to a feature in the firmware that slows down the reading(ripping) of commercial Blu-ray and DVDs. This is only a concern for those who might use the drive to rip commercial(movie) discs to their hard-drive. It has nothing to do with writing. My LG BD drives have been very good writers, so far the B(W)H14 drive looks very encouraging in that respect. I was curious about riplock on this new LG, and our member jadburner was kind enough to post the reading speeds of the BH14 here .

It appears that riplock is not a concern with this new drive.

Some drive makers rush a product out to market before the firmware is solid. They release frequent updates to fix their mistakes, often too late to save you from some bad burns. Recently LG drives have shipped with rather solid firmware from the start. Few updates have been required. I respect that in a manufacturer. I haven’t had trouble with any of my media on them, no need for updates from what I have seen.

Since you will not be able to perform quality scans of your BD-R burns(at least not yet), you should probably keep an eye on that BH14NS40 thread to get a sense of your best choices in media and burn speeds for the drive.

You should have plenty of time to kick that Hackintosh around if you choose to keep the LG :bigsmile:.

[QUOTE=Cyber7;2641520]I purchased a WH14NS40 from NEWEGG and I also registered it on the LG web site. I’m very happy with it [B]as it burns both Verbatim 6x and Digistor 6x at 12x.[/B] The scans are good and the discs play in Bluray players[/QUOTE]

Well, the question remains especially for the digistor mediaq: what is the sense behind?
Nothing learnt from the past with CD and DVD media???

[B]Thank you f[/B]or telling me about your success with the WH14NS40 with Digistor 6x and Verbatim 6x media. That is good news about my purchase. You help reduce much of my concern about support of the WH14NS40 burner.

[QUOTE=chef;2641580]Well, the question remains especially for the digistor mediaq: what is the sense behind?
Nothing learnt from the past with CD and DVD media???[/QUOTE]

[U]I’m sorry, I did not understand that part of your your reply. [/U]Is it possibly misplaced?

What is the idea behind burning 6x rated low Q media BD-R at 12x???

Both the Verbatim and Digistor scanned good and played well in two different Bluray players (Samsung & Panasonic). Below is the info on the Verbatim & Digistor BD-R discs:
♦Verbatim 6x BD-R 25gb
VERBAT-IMe-000
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, 12x
♦Digistor 6x BD-R 25gb
CMCMAG-BA5-000
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, 12x

I see where many different people burn their BD-R Discs at faster than the rated speed and have good scans and playability. My intent was to show that the WH14NS40/BH14NS40 drives can also burn at faster speeds, have good scans and have good playabilty. FYI, I put my Samsung player at 7x fast forward and it goes through the whole BD-R with no problems at all.

That’s great to hear. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with trying to push them to the limit to see what your drive is capable of. It would be a good idea to burn them closer to rated speed to increase your odds of getting clean burns that will last.

[QUOTE=chef;2641746]What is the idea behind burning 6x rated low Q media BD-R at 12x???[/QUOTE]

I never suggested burning any 6x media at 12x. One of the [U]other[/U] thread participants said he successfully b urned 2 brands of 6x media at 12x.

[QUOTE=vienna01;2642077]I never suggested burning any 6x media at 12x. One of the [U]other[/U] thread participants said he successfully b urned 2 brands of 6x media at 12x.[/QUOTE]

I have not pointed that question to you, who posted that already knew that he is using sub quality media… now he wants to underline that by telling us that “playback was without problems”… How funny.

You’ve reached my recorder WH14NS40 excellent speed, but I’m not able to activate the site of lg lightscribe http://www.lgsolutions.com/__downloads/pdf/specbh14ns40031204pr-1.pdf SPECIAL FEATURES There LightScribe Disc Labeling One could take this doubt as to enable lightscribe? thank you

[QUOTE=hpvoltage;2643872]You’ve reached my recorder WH14NS40 excellent speed, but I’m not able to activate the site of lg lightscribe http://www.lgsolutions.com/__downloads/pdf/specbh14ns40031204pr-1.pdf SPECIAL FEATURES There LightScribe Disc Labeling One could take this doubt as to enable lightscribe? thank you[/QUOTE]

As the DVDInfoPro indicates, the WH14NS40 is not a LightScribe drive. ‘NS’ models do not have Lightscribe. You’ll need an ‘LS’ model for that.

[QUOTE=cvs;2644063]As the DVDInfoPro indicates, the WH14NS40 is not a LightScribe drive. ‘NS’ models do not have Lightscribe. You’ll need an ‘LS’ model for that.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply, however I thought this because the lg advertises this model as compatible lightscriber? http://www.lgsolutions.com/__downloa...031204pr-1.pdf
SPECIAL FEATURES There LightScribe Disc

Thanks

model release in 2012 was not sad lightscriber

[QUOTE=hpvoltage;2644067]thanks for the reply, however I thought this because the lg advertises this model as compatible lightscriber? http://www.lgsolutions.com/__downloa...031204pr-1.pdf
SPECIAL FEATURES There LightScribe Disc

Thanks[/QUOTE]

It is probably a copy/paste type mistake in the specification sheet… no NS drive to date has ever been LightScribe enabled.