LG blu-ray writer problem (LG GGC-H20L)

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GGC-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Installed internal SATA drive – win xp 64 bit less than yr old workstation. The writer GGC-H20L writes to cd OK, but when I put blu-ray disc in, vewrbatim 4x or memorex 2x – no disc is seen in drive. Have used Nero 9 (and 7) and cyberlink which came with drive. Want to write large files to archive old digital photos – greater 1 TB worth eventually. Did not try to play movie – have no blu-ray movies – don’t think my videocard is up to it. It failed the cyberlink advisor test – could that be my issue?

The GGC-H20L is a combo drive, a bluray reader, not a writer. The GGW-H20L is a bluray writer. Get usb or better esata hard disks when you want to backup large data amounts. They are cheaper, faster and easier to handle. On the downside, they also offer rapid data loss.

Yeah I just discovered that tonite. Newegg’s site description was unclear. I do also use mult large HD’s – but for longterm sure fire backup DL dvd’s have been it – now want larger capacity.
Thanks.