LG Blu-ray Crossflash: GGW-H20L, GBW-H20L, BE06LU10, BE06LU11

vbimport

Greetings CDFreaks and Happy New Year 2009!

Thanks to ala42, author of MediaCodeSpeedEdit, we can now crossflash these LG Blu-ray drives:
BE06LU11 <> BE06LU10 <> GBW-H20L/N <> GGW-H20L/N

Warning!!

• There will always be a risk, e.q. power outage during flash, unstable USB connections, etc.
  • Crossflashing will also void your drive’s warranty. If your drive should fail after crossflashing, do not return it, instead do the right thing and purchase a new drive.

When and Why do we need crossflash?

• When you have read the warning above
  • When you want to have additional features (e.q. HD DVD support)
  • When you need newer firmware for better Blu-ray media support
  • and so on.

Where can I get the firmwares for crossflash?

• If you are crossflashing to GGW-H20L, download the public firmware YL05 from LG and use ala42 MCSE
  • If you are crossflashing to other drives, stay tune!

LG Blu-ray drives quick specs comparison:

LG Blu-ray drives supported media types, using MCSE v1.1.0.21:

Below we will demonstrate:

1. LG BE06LU11 crossflash to BE06LU10 (add HD DVD support)
  2. LG BE06LU10 crossflash to GGW-H20L (more media support)
  3. LG GBW-H20L crossflash to GGW-H20L (add HD DVD and more media support)

Base drive: LG [B]BE06LU11[/B] Firmware [B]YP01[/B]
Crossflash to: LG [B]BE06LU10[/B] Firmware [B]YE03[/B]

The LG BE06LU11 is a Blu-ray burner, meanwhile BE06LU[B]10[/B] is a Blu-ray burner and HD DVD ROM.

First we verify BE06LU11 in Device Manager

We load the BE06LU10 crossflash firmware and select BE06LU11 as target.

Then click Update to start crossflash

Crossflash successful and reboot to continue (or unplug and plug the USB enclosure power).

Verify BE06LU10 in Device Manager

Now we have a new drive that supports HD DVD!

Now let’s see more crossflash using the same drive. :wink:

Base drive: LG [B]BE06LU10[/B] Firmware [B]YE03[/B]
Crossflash to: LG [B]GGW-H20L[/B] Firmware [B]YL05[/B]

Since we are going to crossflash to GGW-H20L, we can use the public firmware GGW-H20L YL05 and modify it using ala42 MCSE (download here):

• First open MCSE v1.1.0.21 or newer
  • Load the GGW-H20L firmware YL05
  • In the “Cross flash settings”, select id BE06LU10 (red box below)
  • Save

Load the newly saved firmware from the MCSE above, select BE06LU10 as target drive and click Update.

Crossflash successful and reboot (or unplug and plug the USB enclosure power)

Nero DiscSpeed showing GGW-H20L YL05

If you own LG GBW-H20L you can also crossflash to GGW-H20L, BE06LU10 or BE06LU11 and vice versa. Now we will flash GBW-H20L to GGW-H20L using public firmware YL05.

Base drive: LG [B]GBW-H20L[/B] Firmware [B]YG01[/B]
Crossflash to: LG [B]GGW-H20L[/B] Firmware [B]YL05[/B]

Similarly, first we need to prepare the firmware using ala42 MCSE (download here):

• First open MCSE v1.1.0.21 or newer
  • Load the GGW-H20L firmware YL05
  • In the “Cross flash settings”, select id GBW-H20L (red box below)
  • Save

Load the newly saved YL05 firmware, select GBW-H20L as target and click Update.

Reboot after done

Device Manager is now showing LG GGW-H20L and you have a drive that plays HD DVD (and more firmware support.) :slight_smile:

Again thanks to ala42 and any comments are welcome. :wink:

Hello, thank you for the demo.

How big is the risk? because I read about “fail-safe” in LG blu-ray drives?[QUOTE=zevia;2187421]

• There will always be a risk, e.q. power outage during flash, unstable USB connections, etc.[/QUOTE]

So the ultimate option is to crossflash to GGW-H20L for HD DVD and more media support?

If I can get GBW-H20L for $179 or less (black friday price) I can guarantee to be GGW-H20L? Or maybe just buy GGW-H20 for $229 from newegg?\

Thanks zevia, any chance for a GGC-H20L crossflash to a GGW?

[QUOTE=KTL;2187596]Thanks zevia, any chance for a GGC-H20L crossflash to a GGW?[/QUOTE]
The drives use a slightly different bootcode and at least in theory should have a different pic up head.

Thanks ala42. May be it’s too optimistic in thinking the GGC would have the same hardware as the GGW drives.

[QUOTE=f3rrytl;2187585]How big is the risk? because I read about “fail-safe” in LG blu-ray drives?
[/QUOTE]
The risk is the same as for a normal firmware update, which should be quite low. Even if the main firmware data is not transfered or flashed correctly due to SATA setup problems, the drive restarts in failsafe mode which allows to reflash it.

Thank you Zevi and ala42 for this writeup, information and tools.

Very interesting and beneficial indeed!

[quote=ala42;2187823]The risk is the same as for a normal firmware update, which should be quite low. Even if the main firmware data is not transfered or flashed correctly due to SATA setup problems, the drive restarts in failsafe mode which allows to reflash it.[/quote]True. I failed once and the drive showed as HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L COR4.

I was guessing COR4 is the core firmware in failsafe mode. It’s still recognized by OS so I just reflash and it went fine. Basically the risk of flashing these LG drives are minimum but it’s our standard procedure to put the warning signs. :wink:

THANKS, GREAT!

This is waht I’ve been looking for a long time for.

I purchased an BE06LU10 who always crashed my Notebook, didn’t recognize my Verbatin BD-REs and didn’t even Playback DVDs correctly.

I now flashed the actual GGW H20L firmware (YE05) which solves all the problems.

Bevor I asked LG directly for support and didn’t even get an answer.

[quote=carrera1988;2189324]I purchased an BE06LU10 who always crashed my Notebook, didn’t recognize my Verbatin BD-REs and didn’t even Playback DVDs correctly.

I now flashed the actual GGW H20L firmware (YE05) which solves all the problems.
[/quote]Good for you, although I’m sure Verbatim BD-RE is supported in BE06LU10.
Both BE06LU10 and GGW-H20L have only 1 verbatim BD-RE which is VERBAT-IM0-000.

Can you check with Nero DiscSpeed or DVD Identifier what is the MID on your Verbatim BD-RE?

No problem:
Nero DiscSpeed: Disk-Info
Grundlegende Informationen
Disktyp: : BD-RE
MID : VERBATIM0 (000)
Schreibgeschwindigkeiten: : 2 X
Kapazität : 23.31 GB
: 23866 MB
: 25025314816 Bytes

I can’t tell excatly why the disc wasn’t recognized.
This was not the only problem I had with this drive so there maybe was antoher reason why I could burn Verbatims BD-RE.

But, all problems solved. Thanks again.

Thank you so much for this tool! My LG GBW-H20L crossflashed to GGW-H20L can finally format/burn/read/erase my BD-RE (Ritek RiDATA BD-RE-252-RD-JC [MID: RITEK-BW1-001]). HD-DVD support is a plus too --when, if ever, I get my hands on one.

Double post…

Hey,

i want to buy LG BE06.
What CPU i do need to watch Blu-Ray on my Full-HD 37" TV through a PC (dont have a seperat BR-Player). Thx 4 helping!!

I cannot find the BE06LU10 Firmware YE03 anywhere, it does not seem like LG even released it, does anyone know where to find it ?

Tank

Can I crossflash my GBC-H20N to GGC-H20N?