LG Blu-ray burner firmware update closes AACS 2.0 loophole and can't be downgraded

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/lg-blu-ray-burner-firmware-update-closes-aacs-2-0-loophole-cant-downgraded-83322/

The latest firmware for the popular LG BH16NS40, WH16NS40 and BE16NU50 Blu-ray writers should improve Ultra HD Blu-ray disc compatibility. In reality however, the firmware update appears to close the loophole in AACS 2.0 that allows the drives to rip Ultra HD Blu-ray movies. LG has made it impossible to downgrade to an earlier firmware, but users on the internet are working on ways to solve that.

[quote]In reality however, the firmware update appears to close the loophole in AACS 2.0 that allows the drives to rip Ultra HD Blu-ray movies.[/quote]If one of those is the portable unit then I am glad I didn’t update the firmware but I have to go and check. …

[quote]LG has made it impossible to downgrade to an earlier firmware, but users on the internet are working on ways to solve that.[/quote]They must think people are that stupid? Make it hard and it will be broken goes the saying “if you can make it can be broken”…