LG BH16NS50/BH16NS55, 2nd gen BH14/WH14/BH16/WH16NS40 (SVC. Code NS50, 2015+)

vbimport

It’s a very long story, but I’ll try to explain in few words (I hope) what I’ve done from last Thursday until yesterday.

As we already know, BH16NS55 SVC Code NS50/NS55 use the latest MediaTek MT1959 chipset and no LG official firmware update exists on the net.

The first device I bought last Thursday came with 1.00 firmware. I dumped it using the devilsclaw’s tool and compared to the 1.01 dump found on this forum. My first idea was to update my unit from 1.00 to 1.01 (now there is also a 1.02 firmware). Comparing both 1.00 and 1.01 devilsclaw’s dumps I’ve found that each dump contains calibration laser data as well as the specific serial number of each unit and so I mapped my info to the 1.01 dump.

Then I’ve tried to use the LG Unlocked flasher but it says that bin file has a checksum mismatch and so it could not flash the device.

Then, I had the idea to use a modified version of Dosflash 1.7 editing the .typ file adding 0x24 as Manufacter ID / Device ID and naming the BH16NS55 as the detected eeprom and after preparing an usb pendrive with pure FreeDOS, I was able to flash the firmware.

Unfortunately I did not know that the devilclaw’s dump cannot be flashed as it is but it need to be modified. In fact, doing this I’ve bricked my BH16NS55. So I’ve bought another BH16NS55 (this one coming with 1.02 firmware) and used DOSFlash for a full dump instead of the devilsclaw’s tool and SURPRISE : it’s perfectly working flashing it with the LG Unlocked tool as well as with DosFlash.

So I erased the eeprom of the bricked device and reflashed (after importing calibration data from the 1.00 dump) the modded firmware 1.02 file. Now the previously bricked device is working like a charm.

I’m sorry for my english and for making some confusion, but I hope you’ll understand what I’ve written.

P.S. The differences between the devilsclaw’s dump and the DOSFlash dump is that first 1024 bytes have to be replaced with the dosflash dump. Doing this will allow to flash the device via LG Unlocked Flasher under Windows as well as via Dosflash. :slight_smile:

RITEK BD-R DL 50GB x6 MID:RITEKDR3 Made in Tajwan
LG BH16NS55 fw.1.00
NERO 2016 x4

[QUOTE=jadburner;2766606]They’re almost impossible to find at B&M stores. eBay is one of your few options. For example, here.[/QUOTE]

So, A newbie to being a member, been here for years. New to scanning and checked the ebay links, that specific sale is over, found the same model though, Lite-On iHBS 112-04-2 elsewhere for a reasonable $, Is this the specific model recommended for a newbie to scanning, I have an LG for writing I am fine with, well, I’ll post, but, I see other similar Lite-On builds, is it best to stick with this one, replying here, since I found the info here, if wrong, I apologize in advance.

[QUOTE=Rev. Lou Cifer;2777400]So, A newbie to being a member, been here for years. New to scanning and checked the ebay links, that specific sale is over, found the same model though, Lite-On iHBS 112-04-2 elsewhere for a reasonable $, Is this the specific model recommended for a newbie to scanning, I have an LG for writing I am fine with, well, I’ll post, but, I see other similar Lite-On builds, is it best to stick with this one, replying here, since I found the info here, if wrong, I apologize in advance.[/QUOTE]

For a one-off question, you’re fine. If you need to go into deeper discussion, we can move posts to a new thread.

But yeah, if you can find an iHBS112 (or 212, or 312), that’s what you want for scanning.

[QUOTE=TwinParadox;2774830]

So I’ve bought another BH16NS55 (this one coming with 1.02 firmware) and used DOSFlash for a full dump instead of the devilsclaw’s tool and SURPRISE : it’s perfectly working flashing it with the LG Unlocked tool as well as with DosFlash.

[/QUOTE]

Recently bought BH16NS55, unfortunately with FW ver 1.0. Could you upload ver. 1.02 ;

[QUOTE=makper;2778558]Recently bought BH16NS55, unfortunately with FW ver 1.0. Could you upload ver. 1.02 ;[/QUOTE]

He already did…:iagree:

Last post in this thread contains the link :

Oh great, thanks. I haven’t searched thoroughly. I flash the original.bin, right? I have a slight concern that I might brick it, you know…

[QUOTE=makper;2778569]Oh great, thanks. I haven’t searched thoroughly. I flash the original.bin, right? I have a slight concern that I might brick it, you know…[/QUOTE]

I flashed the original bin succesfully…my drive came with 1.01 and is now on 1.02…:wink:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2778570]I flashed the original bin succesfully…my drive came with 1.01 and is now on 1.02…;)[/QUOTE]

Did you flash with a particular flasher?

Thanks again. Is there any tool to flash it in windows? Where to look for?

Yep…with the BH16NS40(1.03-A0)-patched.exe…:stuck_out_tongue:
Painless proces…:bow:

Any valid url to download it please? :slight_smile:

http://club.myce.com/f87/asus-bw-16d1ht-334054/index6.html#post2734740 :wink:

The LG flashed and tested succesfully, thank you guys!

Glad you got it upgraded ! :bigsmile:

Hi,

ive got an BH16NS55 1.01 now but it got a nasty riplock … DVD-VIDEO ripping start with 2,9X and RPM stay slow

Could not test BD yet so.

how are the 1.00 and 1.02 FW looking that way ?
Or is there a way to get rid of riplock on that drive else?

regards

[QUOTE=gr33n;2780226]how are the 1.00 and 1.02 FW looking that way ?
[/QUOTE]

Dunno about 1.00,as mine defaulted with 1.01,but 1.02 gave no speed improvement for dvd ripping.
Ripping a 25 GB blu ray disc takes about the same amount of time as a 8.5 GB dvd…

[QUOTE=gr33n;2780226]Hi,

ive got an BH16NS55 1.01 now but it got a nasty riplock … DVD-VIDEO ripping start with 2,9X and RPM stay slow

Could not test BD yet so.

how are the 1.00 and 1.02 FW looking that way ?
Or is there a way to get rid of riplock on that drive else?

regards[/QUOTE]

Update.

Here are the ripping results for BD-VIDEO Source 40GB Disc

Start @ 25.5MB/s 5.9x
@ 25% 30MB/s 7.0x
@ 40% 31MB/s 7.2x
@ 50% 29MB/s
@ 60% 26,7MB/s
@ 70% 22Mb/s
@ 80% 23MB/s
etc pp

According to Specs.:
BD-ROM (SL): 12x
BD-ROM (DL): 8x

Well seems there is no riplock for that also didnt reached the maximum
So for DVD i will reuse my DVD-Writer

[QUOTE=Albert;2777412]For a one-off question, you’re fine. If you need to go into deeper discussion, we can move posts to a new thread.

But yeah, if you can find an iHBS112 (or 212, or 312), that’s what you want for scanning.[/QUOTE]
So, after several days of back and forth it turned out not be what I needed per the specs in these threads, what a lifesaver. Even found a few ads that were posting false info, deliberate or not I am not sure, but, gave them a heads up and they seemed to change the ads, so, likely legit. They were reporting them as BR burners, not just players. So, have yet to pick one up, life got in the way for a bit, about to tackle the task again though, it was a bit daunting as the sellers were not in the know as to what I was looking for, so, it was quite a back and forth. The info in these blogs saved me fer sure, thanks to all you experienced heads out there who post and answer lame questions, but, the lamers the question, the more info I gleam.
PAZ

Can someone help me with this issue posted here.

I ran into trouble trying to update the firmware of my BH16NS55 LG blu ray writer. I have downloaded the latest firmware from the link mentioned above.

Then I tried to upadte it with devilsclaw flasher.

I tried the following commands, it runs like an infinite loop. Please help me.
flasher-flasher -d 2 -c BH16NS55_1.0.2_ORIGINAL.BIN
flasher-flasher -d 2 -m BH16NS55_1.0.2_ORIGINAL.BIN
flasher-flasher -d 2 -f BH16NS55_1.0.2_ORIGINAL.BIN

out of the above files which one should I use? devils.bin or original.bin?
and which command should i execute?

Please hlep…