LG BH16NS40/WH16NS40 (1st gen, SVC. Code NS40), BH16NS48

Well it definitely lists 16x as a supported write speed and it burns at 16x too.

See post # 7.

@Ch3vr0n
It’s on the japanese site: http://www.lg.com/jp/optical-storage/lg-BH16NS48-blu-ray-disc-rewriter-internal

BD-R : Up to 16x

[QUOTE=Terramex;2672425]@Ch3vr0n
It’s on the japanese site: http://www.lg.com/jp/optical-storage/lg-BH16NS48-blu-ray-disc-rewriter-internal[/QUOTE]

That would explain why my mail to LG said it wasn’t available for sale in europe. I wonder what this one is then :stuck_out_tongue: http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90494079/lg-bh16ns40-retail.asp

they’ll try & fetch me the specs ^^

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2669179]I’m going to import one of these drives so I can have a play around anyway. I need an LG with this MediaTek chipset and I have ended up skipping the BH14 version as they still don’t appear to be available here in the UK.[/QUOTE]The BH16NS40 appears to be available now in the UK from CCL Computers and Amazon (through various German partners).

I’ve been waiting to purchase a BH14NS40, since I very much like the idea of M-DISC support (for future-proofing), but the BH14NS40 is available only in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. (I contacted LG to ask whether it was to be introduced into the UK; they replied that they didn’t know, but that I should ask PC World ?! )

I had been wondering whether the BH16NS40 supports M-DISCs, but this announcement appears to make that issue irrelevant (as least for Blu-ray discs, if not for DVDs).

There doesn’t seem to be any mention of BDXL support.

Am I right in assuming that a [U]BH[/U]16NS40 will be a retail drive, with software?

The “BH” doesn’t automatically mean it’s retail.
There are bulk and retail versions of that drive.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p826532_LG-Electronics-BH16NS40-Blu-ray-Combo-SATA-1-5Gb-s-intern-schwarz-Retail.html

Any idea what the difference between the BH16NS40 and BH16NS48 is? Presumably the differences, if any, are just at firmware level …

Both WH16NS40, BH16NS40 and BH16NS48 are using same hardwares and different firmwares, crossflashing is possible.

Digistor 6x BD-R Printable @ 6x
BH16NS40 FW: 1.00

I’m not impressed at all… burning these disks on a Pioneer 205/207M gives me average LDC/BIS values 10 times lower than these…

Hi everyone,

firstly, I’m new to all this.

I’ve got a new BH16NS40 (my first bluray writer btw) and just found out about several limitations such as riplock (verified this with Exact Audio Copy).

I read about firmware modificators for older LG models (like MCSE), but what about new ones (BH14 & BH16 generation) with MediaTek chip?
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find any useful information for that using the official LG channels (and their so-called support seems to be even worse), in short:

Is there [I]any chance[/I] getting rid of the riplock of a BH16NS40–whatsoever?

[moderator note: manually merging posts. Please, no crossposting; it’s confusing. :)]

How could you tell if a bd writer is riplocked or not?

I noticed very slow audio ripping for a certain tool which I can’t explain. So “riplock” came to mind, though there might be another reason.

Is there some sort of “test” to verify this?

@ne0fyt
Please take look at post #16 (et seqq.) of this thread.

What exactly does EAC say ?

[QUOTE=ne0fyt;2676589]Hi everyone,
[…]
How could you tell if a bd writer is riplocked or not?

I noticed very slow audio ripping for a certain tool which I can’t explain. So “riplock” came to mind, though there might be another reason.

Is there some sort of “test” to verify this?[/QUOTE]

[in addition to what the fine Terramex has posted above]

Riplock typically isn’t discussed when talking about audio CDs. Yes, the drive may limit itself with audio CDs versus data CDs, but riplock patches have never addressed that; it’s a term that only came about when discussing DVD video discs (and now Blu-ray video discs).

…Can you get a tool called Nero CD-DVD Speed, or a tool called OptiDriveControl, and run a transfer rate test of the audio CD with the LG drive?

Thank you for your replies.

Well, it might be an [I]EAC[/I] problem, primarily. I cannot rip (entire album as image, converted to .flac afterwards) faster than with 1.5 speed, usually starting with something 0.x which is far too slow (even taking EAC’s “outstanding” error correction algorithms into account) for a “secure” ripping mode.

[I]CUERipper[/I] on the other hand, clearly beats EAC performing a Paranoid Ripping task (featuring AccurateRipping), tracks are being read much faster (but several times if you chose the “Paranoid” mode)!

Finally, I ran Opti Drive Control and did Transfer Rate tests (first for a generated cdrw test disc, and then for my audio album): After disabling “Burst rate”, the album is being read at 3.5 X at start going up to 6.6 X after 7 minutes.

The album is a Red Book recording from 1999 and in mint condition, too.

Guys…Im sorry, i must be stupid or something and i cannot for the life of me find the answer to this…i got the LG BH16NS40 today…placed it in my pc and the damn thing is seen but wont read or write…

how can i fix this…i cant install the super multi blue install disc as the drive cant read…lol

i need help so i can see what this baby is capable off

fixed…i needed a reboot

sorry to disrupt the flow of the thread…now i just hope i dont get coasters :smiley:

BH16NS48 (1.00)
Rip of a commercial Blu-ray

Panasonic 4x BD-R
White inkjet hub printable
MEIT02 (Made in Japan)
BH16NS48 (1.00-A2)
[B]OPC on[/B]
Burned at 4x
Final scan with PX-LB950SA using PlexUtilities

[QUOTE=jadburner;2677464]Panasonic 4x BD-R
White inkjet hub printable
MEIT02 (Made in Japan)