LG BH16NS40 vs Pioneer BDR-2209 - which to keep?

vbimport

Media: BD-R INFOMER40
Media Mfr: Infomedia
Brand: Melody 6x 50pk Inkjet Printable
Model: BDR25P0506US
Drive: LG BH16NS40
Speed: 6x

Perfect TRTs across the board.

[B]Disc Quality Scan[/B]

Solid, and in fact a slightly better result than at 4x. As we shall soon see, this is the beginning of a trend.

Drive: Pioneer BDR-208M

[B]Disc Quality Scan[/B]

Slightly worse result than the LG. Better LDC but worse jitter than the 4x burn with this drive/media combination.

Drive: LT iHBS112 2 PL06

[B]Disc Quality Scan[/B]

Better BIS, worse LDC and jitter than this drive/media combination at 4x. LDC not great in comparison to other drives but well within quality range.

Media: BD-R CMCMAGBA5
Media Mfr: CMC Magnetics
Origin: Taiwan
Brand: Value Disc 6x 50pk, branded
Model: VDBR0560P
Drive: LG BH16NS40 1.03

[B]Disc Quality Scan[/B]

Again disappointing. While BIS is slightly better, LDC is more than twice as bad as 4x. Hard to recommend these over the INFOMER40s.

Drive: Pioneer BDR-208M 1.10

Perfect TRTs at max speeds across the board.

[B]Disc Quality Scan[/B]

Does much better than the LG, as in the 4x round. Worse LDC, much worse jitter (10.1% vs 8.5%) than this drive/media combination at 4x.
Still not as good as INFOMER but not bad.

[B]Disc Quality Scan[/B]

LDC quadruples, jitter increases 1.5% in comparison to burning at 4x. I would stick to that speed; this is not a stellar result.
Once again this drive is at the bottom of the barrel. Given that it’s slightly older, I suppose that’s to be expected.

Media: BD-R MEIT02-001
Media Mfr: Matsushita Electric Inc.
Origin: Japan
Brand: Panasonic 1-4x 50pk, inkjet printable
Model: LM-BRS25LT50
Drive: LG BH16NS40 1.03

[B]Disc Quality Scan[/B]

LDC shoots up to 5, jitter goes up 1.2%, but BIS is much better - no random spikes! - in comparison to 4x. Very solid burn, as is to be expected. I think the trade-off in quality is more than worth it given the much better speed (50% higher at peak!) and lack of spikes.

Drive: Pioneer BDR-208M 1.10

[B]Disc Quality Scan[/B]

Speaks for itself.

[B]Disc Quality Scan[/B]

This drive finally holds its own! Hurray! And once again, much lower BIS than burning at 4x. Can’t argue with that.

I didn’t want to make links to the 4x burns of these media because it’s a pain. You can make a new tab and start reading from this post on if you want to see direct comparisons instead of relying on my short notes.

I didn’t bother making 6x burns with the more questionable media because it would most likely be a waste of my time. I also didn’t test VERBATIMe or RITEKBR3 again since I only bought 3-packs of each for testing purposes.

[QUOTE=bilditup1;2727098]When using AnyDVD or AnyDVD + external program (Explorer, Directory Opus, eac3to, whatever) to rip a protected BD, the drive takes an hour to copy a disc. If you’re using AnyDVD’s ripper directly (I use eac3to in order to kill a few birds with one stone) then you could start the extraction, stop it right after, and then restart it in order to ‘break’ the ripping limit. Other software apparently doesn’t suffer from this limitation; see more here and in the post and links here.
For me, this is a major issue. For others, maybe not.[/QUOTE]

Could you please be more specific as to what is meany by “…start the extraction, stop it right after, and then restart it in order to ‘break’ the ripping limit?” i.e. does this mean to tell AnyDVD HD to stop by hitting the “Abort” or “Pause” buttons? I have a BDR-2209 and it rips at a steady 8.5MB/s, which is incredibly annoying.

Thank you.

[QUOTE=LazLong;2728726]Could you please be more specific as to what is meany by “…start the extraction, stop it right after, and then restart it in order to ‘break’ the ripping limit?” i.e. does this mean to tell AnyDVD HD to stop by hitting the “Abort” or “Pause” buttons? I have a BDR-2209 and it rips at a steady 8.5MB/s, which is incredibly annoying.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I don’t remember if it was the pause or abort button specifically. Another guy started a rip with MakeMKV, aborted, and then used AnyDVD. Also, if you have the CD that the BDR-2209 came with, you may be able to disable quiet mode on the drive directly, by using the drive utility for this specific drive. (To my knowledge the utility isn’t available online anywhere, at least not easily.) Then, you wouldn’t have to rely on any tricks.

[QUOTE=bilditup1;2728727]Yup. I don’t remember if it was the pause or abort button specifically. Another guy started a rip with MakeMKV, aborted, and then used AnyDVD. Also, if you have the CD that the BDR-2209 came with, you may be able to disable quiet mode on the drive directly, by using the drive utility for this specific drive. (To my knowledge the utility isn’t available online anywhere, at least not easily.) Then, you wouldn’t have to rely on any tricks.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply. I also read that MakeMKV will, inconsistently, disable this feature until the next reboot. My experience was that you had to try a couple of times, exiting MakeMKV between each attempt to disable the Quiet Crap. At first I wasn’t getting anywhere, all of the attempts with MakeMKV failed, but after exiting and re-launching MakeMKV it was successful in disabling the ‘feature.’

I just recently installed the drive, but the disc wasn’t in the box. It sat around for a couple of months until I got around to installing it, so it is possible that I pulled out the packet with the retail stuff and it is buried somewhere in my office. I’ll have to initiate an archaeological expedition and see if I can dig it up. I just hope I didn’t toss it. :frowning: You are correct that Pioneer doesn’t have it up on their site. In the past they’ve once or twice had the utility available for a given drive. I guess they are being chintzy and don’t want to discourage people from buying the retail drive. I have no idea why they make the utility drive-specific; there’s no reason they couldn’t include code for all drives previous to a given release of the utility. Again, chintzy.

[QUOTE=LazLong;2728845]Thank you for the reply. I also read that MakeMKV will, inconsistently, disable this feature until the next reboot. My experience was that you had to try a couple of times, exiting MakeMKV between each attempt to disable the Quiet Crap. At first I wasn’t getting anywhere, all of the attempts with MakeMKV failed, but after exiting and re-launching MakeMKV it was successful in disabling the ‘feature.’

I just recently installed the drive, but the disc wasn’t in the box. It sat around for a couple of months until I got around to installing it, so it is possible that I pulled out the packet with the retail stuff and it is buried somewhere in my office. I’ll have to initiate an archaeological expedition and see if I can dig it up. I just hope I didn’t toss it. :frowning: You are correct that Pioneer doesn’t have it up on their site. In the past they’ve once or twice had the utility available for a given drive. I guess they are being chintzy and don’t want to discourage people from buying the retail drive. I have no idea why they make the utility drive-specific; there’s no reason they couldn’t include code for all drives previous to a given release of the utility. Again, chintzy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, these people are totally inconsistent. It’s very, very irritating. Shockingly enough, they just released a firmware update for this drive, so that’s something, at least. They never brought the updates for the other 208 drives to the American retail flavor :frowning:
Maybe you can ask someone in the Pioneer forum to post the software on mega.co.nz or something? I mean, the Pioneer section here.

Hello,

I have fresh news on the rip speed issue.

Finally, I bought both Pioneer S09XLT & LG BE14NU40 (I reordered it again after returning it some time ago) and I’ve figured out the following:

The REAL problem is AnyDVD. Period. With AnyDVD you cannot get more than 2x MANY times with BOTH (read, both, not only the Pioneer) drives.
In fact, I got less than 2x speed with the BE14NU40 and a BD protected movie several times.

The problem is gone if you use another program like DVDFab. This tool rips ALWAYS at max speed (on both drives). Both drives are excellent to rip protected discs (they’re on par). A plus for the Pioneer is its full-featured control panel where you can adjust the rip speed in several ways (even the burning quality!) but, unfortunately, AnyDVD is unaffected by these settings.

@LazLong: You can break the rip speed limit by starting the disc ripping with the AnyDVD ripper for a few seconds, then pressing the PAUSE button (not the abort button). Subsequently, eject the disc and load it again. Now you can abort the current process and start a new one in order to rip at max speed. I tried this with both drives and works perfectly.

^ That sounds correct to me.
I had noticed that on my Pio206, dvdfab always ripped quicker than Anydvd or MakeMKV.

I didn’t know about the tricks and thanks for posting concerning this.
I’ll try that out the next time I do a rip.

[QUOTE=HiddenUser;2729359]Hello,

Finally, I bought both Pioneer S09XLT & LG BE14NU40 (I reordered it again after returning it some time ago) and I’ve figured out the following:

The REAL problem is AnyDVD. Period. With AnyDVD you cannot get more than 2x MANY times with BOTH (read, both, not only the Pioneer) drives.
In fact, I got less than 2x speed with the BE14NU40 and a BD protected movie several times.

The problem is gone if you use another program like DVDFab. This tool rips ALWAYS at max speed (on both drives). Both drives are excellent to rip protected discs (they’re on par). A plus for the Pioneer is its full-featured control panel where you can adjust the rip speed in several ways (even the burning quality!) but, unfortunately, AnyDVD is unaffected by these settings.

@LazLong: You can break the rip speed limit by starting the disc ripping with the AnyDVD ripper for a few seconds, then pressing the PAUSE button (not the abort button). Subsequently, eject the disc and load it again. Now you can abort the current process and start a new one in order to rip at max speed. I tried this with both drives and works perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for following up and letting go us know this excellent and detailed info!

[QUOTE=HiddenUser;2729359]Hello,

[snip]

@LazLong: You can break the rip speed limit by starting the disc ripping with the AnyDVD ripper for a few seconds, then pressing the PAUSE button (not the abort button). Subsequently, eject the disc and load it again. Now you can abort the current process and start a new one in order to rip at max speed. I tried this with both drives and works perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the update! If we can consistently reproduce the behavior, then we need to get Slysoft to fix it. I just ripped three discs simultaneously yesterday, one on each of my BDR-2209, BH14NS40, and WH14NS40. My 2209 spontaneously decided to rip at 4x (I hadn’t done the MakeMKV trick on it since the last reboot), same as my WH14NS40. However, my BH14NS40 only ripped at 2x. WTF?

I’ll have to give your trick a try with the Pioneer. Might as well try it with the LGs too if they behave the same.

I just recently put this system together with parts I purchased some time ago, and only in the last two weeks started backing up the BDs I’d purchased since it became my main system. My last system only had a BDR-207D in it, and I believe I consistently got 4x rips with it using AnyDVD HD. I put that drive into my HTPC, which I’m busy upgrading from XP. Once it is assembled I’ll use it to rip a few discs and see if perhaps this is something Slysoft introduced recently.

@LazLong:

Slysoft already know this issue. It’s not the first time this bug is reported on his forum… and his response is that Ripper is an extra, because AnyDVD is mainly a driver to decrypt discs on-the-fly and achieves its goal… That’s all.

So it’s futile to report this bug again… Switch to DVDFab and you’ll not be disappointed.

[QUOTE=HiddenUser;2729446]@LazLong:

Slysoft already know this issue. It’s not the first time this bug is reported on his forum… and his response is that Ripper is an extra, because AnyDVD is mainly a driver to decrypt discs on-the-fly and achieves its goal… That’s all.

So it’s futile to report this bug again… Switch to DVDFab and you’ll not be disappointed.[/QUOTE]

I’ve considered purchasing DVDFab; I don’t like its licensing model, and consider it too expensive, especially as it is mostly based upon free open source software and its continued existence is in doubt. Perhaps I’m spoiled, but I purchased AnyDVD and then upgraded to AnyDVD HD back before they were distributed under the subscription model.