LG BH16NS40 Crossflashed now its Dead

this is BH16NS40 svc NS40. i used this to revive my Asus BW-16D1HT that got upgraded to v3.03 by mistake. i think you need dosflash and sata in IDE mode to reflash this

Hi!

i have WS14SN40, but the error is for upgrade the firmware with latest from LG site, this firmware are not compatible with this unit :frowning:
i try but dosflash32 say not known flash type on this port.

Help!

Have you updated the firmware with the ns50 version ?
if so unfortunately it may have caused permanent damage to the Drive.
Stupid LG putting firmwares for different drives on the same page.

Yeah!

is correct! recover is a pain :frowning: the unit is old but work before that.

:frowning:

I was under the impression there was special firmware that would work on the NS40, but before that, it was only the NS50 that was flashable or worked as a Friendly drive.

It’s a hardware limitation. LG sold drives based on ‘Drive platform: MT1939’ until ~Oct 2015… the ‘Svc code: NS40’ drives. The HW precludes UHD support & no FW update can change that.

Unfortunately, the new ‘Drive platform: MT1959’ units retained the same model #s, noting the new ‘SVC code: NS50’ on a sticker affixed to the drive case. & while all this info is documented in great detail elsewhere, not enough people read it (carefully) in their haste to jump on the bandwagon. (IMO)

2 Likes

Well, LG have in the site the firmware for the unit but you cant know if is por the new or old unit :confused:

i try to recover the unit in a old PC but dosflash can read the firmware, i know is a old unit maybe is best buy another :frowning:

HEllo Everyone. I have updated the firmware from LG Electronics for the BD-RE BH16LS40 from version 1.03 to 1.05. NS50. Everything is fine, but from now on the recorder does not read any dvd, DVD or Blu ray. I want to go back to the previous version and the error is “CheckSum is mismatched”. I need help jorgerre

jorgerre, you are sure it is LS40 not NS40? i don’t see LS40 in LG official site. i think maybe you mistyped it and it is NS40?

Yes there is a BH16ls40 see it here
LG BH16LS40 Best Price | Compare deals at PriceSpy UK

Try this firmware see if that works
LG BH16NS40.AVAR10B: Support, Manuals, Warranty & More | LG USA Support

jorgerre,

DosFlash usage as it worked for me. I also incorrectly updated NS50 rom to my NS40 drive. the result was the same as yours: can’t read any discs.

prepare the ff:

a little disclaimer my friend. your unreadable drive is already junk useless since a wrongly flashed bios has been used to update it. so, this guide is a way to revive it as I have done mine (now working perfect: 75 50GB Blu-ray discs have been burned on it).
The steps here are correct to the best of my knowledge, if there’s a mistake here and you end up really making your drive worse than it already is, I will not be held responsible.

steps:

1. Prepare a USB FreeDOS bootable stick, using Rufus (which can be
    downloaded via google). run Rufus in windows and create bootable usb stick with Freedos.
  2. Unzip on USB root the contents of DOSFLASH.zip attached file. Copy the original prepared (FIRMWARE.BIN) firmware onto root of your USB stick.
  3. Reset PC and enter into motherboard BIOS settings and set SATA Controller as IDE
    (or Legacy). If it says only AHCI, DOSFLASH will not properly
    work, or it could not work at all.
  4. Be sure to connect your ASUS/LG drive alone (remove all other SATA cables), as SATA Primary
    Master (USE SATA1 or SATA2 controller ports on the mobo).
  5. Disable CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) and make primary boot (i.e., 1st boot device) from the USB
    stick. Save settings and exit bios. USB flash disk should now boot onto FreeDos.
  6. At the command Prompt, type “DOSFLASH” and press Enter. If it does
    not detect anything, retype again. It could be needed to type
    DOSFLASH 3-4 times before ASUS/LG device can be properly detected. It
    should show the Manufacter ID of your device, namely “MediaTek
    MT1959”
  7. It’s important to remove all other SATA cable connections except the non-working Blu-ray drive,
    in case you don’t know the relative number, you won’t destroy the other SATA drives.
  8. Use relative number 1 to 4 and see if they work one at a time. Press the relative number of your detected device under DOSFLASH (1 in my case).
  9. Type “E” (without quotes) to fully erase your drive eeprom and wait
    for the end of the task.
  10. Now type again DOSFLASH, press the relative number and the “W”
    letter (without quotes) for writing firmware.
  11. Type the firmware name (FIRMWARE.BIN) and wait 1 min
    or less to the end of the process. (It has to write 32 rom banks
    starting from 0 to 31).
  12. Eventually you will see the blue light of your device blinking. This is
    the proof your drive has been initialized again and ready to work.
  13. Reconnect your devices as before, do the same with bios settings for
    UEFI support and boot your Windows OS.
  14. Now you’re ready to see if your work has been properly done and
    your device working again with all discs readable !!!
1 Like

For #7.
I don’t disagree with disconnecting all the SATA cables as that is the safest method.
If you don’t want to do that you can use diskpart/list volume to determine the correct drive.
Windows Disk Management will also show you the drive numbers.

Also the .bin you posted is an original flash rom file for BH16NS40 v1.03 with calibration data.
The OP & jorgerre have a BH16LS40 . I haven’t seen a clean SVC Code NS50 patch for this drive.
Even if a patch for a BH16NS40 is tried the BH16LS40 has to have this on it’s label SVC Code NS50 .
If it has SVC Code NS40 it won’t take the patch.

This is the label for a BH16NS40 but the SVC Code should be in the same location.
Unless the drive is too old. If it is too old then it may not have a SVC code.
That means it won’t take any flash for a NS50 & will remain a dead drive.

If you can get an Original bin for this drive from LG you might be able to flash in back to original.
I would contact LG support & ask if there is a firmware flash available.

Thank you very much dear Friends “The Wolfe”, “COT” and “k3nn” for helping me to solve the BD-RE BH16NS40 disc reading problem that cannot be solved with DOSFLASH and Rufus startup. It discovers the reader in the computer but does not start on the port it is on as Master. DOSFLASH sends a signal to turn it on and gives me the options R, E and W but when I run any of those options it says the chip is unknown.
So, I hope for a prompt solution from LG because if that does not happen I will have two bricks in my PC machine but I WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN ANY PRODUCT FROM LG Electronics.
Greetings and I send you a hug
Jorgerre

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I gave up on my flashed to death LGs and just installed two Pioneer BDR-2212s.

2 Likes