LG BH10LS30 - Results and Discussion

vbimport

Folks,

I searched all around couldn’t find one technical review on the new LG BH10LS30 Super Multi Blue BDR /DVD /CD Optical Writer / Player. So I decided to start this thread to discuss it as I bought the Retail version yesterday => based solely on past experience with LG products (they’ve come a long way since my first 8X LG CD Burner with no Buffer underrun protection :doh:) .

This is the latest in LG’s evolution of their Blu-Ray Burners. A good review of it’s predessor (the BH08LS20) can be found here:

I purchased it yesterday and have resisted putting it into my Box (Antec P180, Asus P5N32-E SLI, nVidia 260, 4 gigs of DDR2 Corsair Ram, Intel Q6850 Quad Core, etc., ) as I need to finish some other remodeling and cleaning. (I also purchased and installed a Diamonod HD 650 Dual Tuner PCIE-X1 card as I have migrated to Windows 7 Ultimate 64, and the “old” Asus TV Card that had worked great for ages with Win XP, had no Win 7 64 drivers :sad:. (I skipped Vista :Z as I didn’t like it early on.) I’ve still got to install a Corsair TX-750W PSU I got for Christmas and then finally the BH10LS30.

I resisted purchasing a Blu-Ray Burner of any kind until the Drive price dropped below $200 (Canadian $) and Media started to come into line with DVD+Rs on a per Gig cost. I’m planning on picking up a Verbatim BLU-RAY BD-R 2X 25GB Branded 20PACK Spindle as it costs $2 a disk ~ 8 Cents a Gig. Even though this media is “rated” at 2X I expect far better speed as Verbatim advises 10 X Speed for the BH10LS30.

http://www.verbatim.com/userfiles/file/BDR_LTHCompatibility_2(1).pdf

(I’ve got to go back to the store today anyway and get the Wireless Remote for the TV Card => which was due in yesterday after I bought it and the LG BH10LS30.)

I’ve also struggled to find reviews for this Media as it uses different technology:

[LEFT]Verbatim BD-R LTH Type Technology
Verbatim BD-R LTH media is manufactured with an organic dye that
turns the disc’s reflectivity during recording from “low to high”. Other
BD-R discs use the “high to low” recording method. Additionally, BDR
LTH is manufactured on converted CD-R/DVD-R production lines,
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica]which utilize a spin coating process and allow excess materials to be
[SIZE=2]recycled. These two cost-cutting measures let us pass along the
savings to you. Upon introduction of the BD-R LTH media, key
hardware manufacturers like Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic and LG
have worked to assure that their burners are fully compatible.[/LEFT]

[FONT=Verdana]If you are wondering what I plan to use the Burner for, it is primarily for Data Backup, Ghosts of my Win7 partition, and Home Movies. (I’ve had a Sony HDR-SR12 for a while and need to start making the movies on Blu-Ray disks to play on our PS3.)

So if you are like me, an early adopter of a LG BH10LS30 and the Verbatim LTH media, or just interested in it, please add your comments to this thread. I’ll post some photos as I take the BH10LS30 and show you what’s inside. :iagree:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

There’s a discussion thread here already.

KTL,

Thanks for the link.

Here’s the Photo I promised although in my haste I left out a Molex to Sata power connector and a Sata Data Lead that was in the box along with 4 mounting screws. (Sorry :rolleyes:)

Even though I’ve had the LG BH10LS30 for a while I haven’t yet burned a BluRay disk (BD-R) as the home movie I’m editing (and what I bought the LG BH10LS30 to do) is woefully way behind schedule (with the Winter Olympics here and all :iagree:).

I have burned and read CD-Rs, and DVD+Rs on the LG BH10LS30 with very good results (according to Nero Tools) but I’ve got other Burners for those functions. It does play a pressed BluRay Movie (Superman Returns) perfectly. But the real test will come with BluRay burning.

Other than surface scanning with Nero Drive Speed, the only consumer level testing software I’ve found is Opti Drive Control which doesn’t (:a) work with the LG BH10LS30 and I’m not prepared to buy a Lite-on iHES208 (or it’s clone) just for this function. So I guess I’ll have to rely on others for this information.

Thanks Gents!

Burned quite a few single layer Verbatim x4 BD-R and some cheaper Imation and Maxell x4 BD-R. All these discs were oversped succesfully at x8 with this drive and verified perfectly without major slowdowns during verification. The only slowdowns I got during burning were buffer related, fiddled with ImgBurn’s buffer settings and it helped a bit. Still, I’d be better for these drives to have at least 8 megs of buffer, but we know that companies now try to make them as cost-effective as possible. All discs took around 14min to burn. Unfortunately I can’t check for quality as my Pioneer BD reader doesn’t support this function.

I also burned some single layer Maxell BD-RE at x2. They also verified OK but they’re painfully slow to burn. These are great to use with Vista/Win7 Live File System for packet writing, I backed up loads of my HD camorder clips on them.

how is the burning quality on Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x and 8x and verbatim DVD-R 16x and CD-R 48x?
its something that afraid me like you burn important thing and you test it in cd speed and its doing error
i miss the boat for the quality one from LG 8x BDR

Solved … no help from LG.

If you Get ErrCode: 0xeb020b88

You need to slow down the burn speed.

So these Memorex BluRay are 4x but CyberLink tries to burn them at 8x.

You need to go in and manually lower the burn speed to that of your disk. So in this case - 4x speed.

Fixed.

You’d think Cyberlink software would be smart enough to make the change.

[QUOTE=WinningTeam;2548169]Solved … no help from LG.

If you Get ErrCode: 0xeb020b88

You need to slow down the burn speed.

So these Memorex BluRay are 4x but CyberLink tries to burn them at 8x.

You need to go in and manually lower the burn speed to that of your disk. So in this case - 4x speed.

Fixed.

You’d think Cyberlink software would be smart enough to make the change.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip!:clap:

Folks,

Now I’m in a pickle. :confused: I had let the auto update firmware update itself one time and it’s dropped the 10X capability of the Verbatim BD-R LTH Disks.

It now takes ImgBurn 80 minutes to write and verify a 25 gig data disk. :Z

I’ve just grabbed 1.00-06 off another Site, and flashed it (it was 100-04). I hope that solves the speed issue. :rolleyes:

This is a very good drive.

I have a problem. Just installed the LG BH10 writer and some of my software will not work with it. Sony Sound Forge gives an error message every time it needs to go to any of four CD/DVD drives I have on a P6T Asus and Windows XP. If I disconnect the LG everything works just fine. “Life’s Not Good” LnG. Is there an update?

[QUOTE=Jim;2490095]Folks,

I searched all around couldn’t find one technical review on the new LG BH10LS30 Super Multi Blue BDR /DVD /CD Optical Writer / Player. So I decided to start this thread to discuss it as I bought the Retail version yesterday => based solely on past experience with LG products (they’ve come a long way since my first 8X LG CD Burner with no Buffer underrun protection :doh:) .

This is the latest in LG’s evolution of their Blu-Ray Burners. A good review of it’s predessor (the BH08LS20) can be found here:

I purchased it yesterday and have resisted putting it into my Box (Antec P180, Asus P5N32-E SLI, nVidia 260, 4 gigs of DDR2 Corsair Ram, Intel Q6850 Quad Core, etc., ) as I need to finish some other remodeling and cleaning. (I also purchased and installed a Diamonod HD 650 Dual Tuner PCIE-X1 card as I have migrated to Windows 7 Ultimate 64, and the “old” Asus TV Card that had worked great for ages with Win XP, had no Win 7 64 drivers :sad:. (I skipped Vista :Z as I didn’t like it early on.) I’ve still got to install a Corsair TX-750W PSU I got for Christmas and then finally the BH10LS30.

I resisted purchasing a Blu-Ray Burner of any kind until the Drive price dropped below $200 (Canadian $) and Media started to come into line with DVD+Rs on a per Gig cost. I’m planning on picking up a [B]Verbatim BLU-RAY BD-R 2X 25GB Branded 20PACK Spindle [/B]as it costs $2 a disk ~ 8 Cents a Gig. Even though this media is “rated” at 2X I expect far better speed as Verbatim advises 10 X Speed for the BH10LS30.

(I’ve got to go back to the store today anyway and get the Wireless Remote for the TV Card => which was due in yesterday after I bought it and the LG BH10LS30.)

I’ve also struggled to find reviews for this Media as it uses different technology:

[LEFT][B]Verbatim BD-R LTH Type Technology[/B]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Verbatim BD-R LTH media is manufactured with an organic dye that[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]turns the disc’s reflectivity during recording from “low to high”. Other[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]BD-R discs use the “high to low” recording method. Additionally, BDR[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]LTH is manufactured on converted CD-R/DVD-R production lines,[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]which utilize a spin coating process and allow excess materials to be[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]recycled. These two cost-cutting measures let us pass along the[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]savings to you. Upon introduction of the BD-R LTH media, key[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]hardware manufacturers like Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic and LG

[FONT=Verdana]If you are wondering what I plan to use the Burner for, it is primarily for Data Backup, Ghosts of my Win7 partition, and Home Movies. (I’ve had a Sony HDR-SR12 for a while and need to start making the movies on Blu-Ray disks to play on our PS3.)

So if you are like me, an early adopter of a LG BH10LS30 and the Verbatim LTH media, or just interested in it, please add your comments to this thread. I’ll post some photos as I take the BH10LS30 and show you what’s inside. :iagree:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Jim
I just installed the BH10 and Life is not Good. I have an Asus P6T MoBo with WinXP and 3 other cd/dvd drives. I added the BH10 as a fourth drive. Seems like BH10 is keeping some of my software from working. Try Sony Sound Forge v7 or CD Architec v4. It will not recognize any of the drives returning an error that aborts the program. When I remove the LG BH10 everything works just fine and the three remaining drives are happy. Anything you may know about this??

[QUOTE=Jim;2490095]Folks,

I resisted purchasing a Blu-Ray Burner of any kind until the Drive price dropped below $200 (Canadian $) and Media started to come into line with DVD+Rs on a per Gig cost. I’m planning on picking up a [B]Verbatim BLU-RAY BD-R 2X 25GB Branded 20PACK Spindle [/B]as it costs $2 a disk ~ 8 Cents a Gig. Even though this media is “rated” at 2X I expect far better speed as Verbatim advises 10 X Speed for the BH10LS30.

[LEFT][B]Verbatim BD-R LTH Type Technology[/B]
[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Verbatim BD-R LTH media is manufactured with an organic dye that[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]turns the disc’s reflectivity during recording from “low to high”. Other[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]BD-R discs use the “high to low” recording method. Additionally, BDR[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]LTH is manufactured on converted CD-R/DVD-R production lines,[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]which utilize a spin coating process and allow excess materials to be[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=2]recycled. These two cost-cutting measures let us pass along the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]savings to you. Upon introduction of the BD-R LTH media, key
hardware manufacturers like Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic and LG

[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=recordav;2564841]Jim
I just installed the BH10 and Life is not Good. I have an Asus P6T MoBo with WinXP and 3 other cd/dvd drives. I added the BH10 as a fourth drive. Seems like BH10 is keeping some of my software from working. Try Sony Sound Forge v7 or CD Architec v4. It will not recognize any of the drives returning an error that aborts the program. When I remove the LG BH10 everything works just fine and the three remaining drives are happy. Anything you may know about this??[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that you have connected the drive to the correct SATA port? Bear in mind that quite often not all SATA ports (integrated mobo controllers) are suitable for / work with optical drives. Your motherboard’s user manual should be able to tell you which ports are suitable for optical drives and which not …

If the drive is connected to the correct port then you need to tell us more about your configuration and BIOS settings, how is the drive showing up in BIOS, are your controllers set up in IDE or AHCI mode, which SATA drivers are you using, how are your drives & storage controllers showing up in the control panel, etc.

Gents,

I spent a ton of hours developing a Wedding Movie for my Niece who got married in Mexico last fall. (Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64 works great on my Rig.) My first version is DVD as most of the family hasn’t made the move to BlueRay. So I decided to make the disks with Lightscribe labels on the BH10LS30 as it’s got the capability.

Well of course I can’t get it to work :a. I’ve tried 3 different software printing / writing packages with no joy. I’ve done the Lightscribe Diagnostic Utility and it finds no errors. The software pakages appear to be working (I even get a Progress Bar!!) but after half an hour they all say there was an error, and spits out a blank disk.

I’ve read some posts where folks have Lightscribe issues with nVidia Chipsets, the BH10LS30, and Windows 7. Sadly I’m all of these (Asus P5N32-E-SLI MB has an nVidia chipset).

I post this as a warning to others. If perhaps you’ve got a work around (I tried it with an Win XP Drive on this Rig with the same results as Win 7 64 :confused:), please post away!

I have these writers in both my rigs and couldn’t be happier with them. Tried all sorts of media and everything works fine. Faster read would be nice but not really necassary. Haven’t tried the LS feature though so can’t comment.

[QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
Just a week ago I got a information from Verbatim about latest BD-RXL 100GB three layer disc for consumer use. But, is there any firmware for LG BH10LS30 using those 100GB discs ? :confused:

[QUOTE=mraudio;2658337]Just a week ago I got a information from Verbatim about latest BD-RXL 100GB three layer disc for consumer use. But, is there any firmware for LG BH10LS30 using those 100GB discs ? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, burning the triple layer BD-R takes more than a firmware update. You will need to buy a newer drive that has that ability.

You can use the “advanced” mode when you post, which includes all the smilies;)

Hello!

I bought my LG BH10LS30 about 2 years ago. I then updated to firmware 1.00-09, run MCSE successfully and removed riplock. Because I have several 2 TB hard drives, haven’t actually burned many discs at all since the first tests with my BD-drive.

Anyway, my question is about BD-RE discs and writing speeds. I searched this forum, but couldn’t find too much info about Verbatim dual layer BD-RE media, so I have to ask here. Maybe somebody knows the answer?

I have Verbatim BD-RE SL 25GB 2X and Verbatim BD-RE DL 50GB 2X discs.
When I burn 25 GB single layer discs, the writing speed is 2x (2.3x actually), no problem. But when I burn 50GB dual layer discs, although ImgBurn says the supported write speed would be 2x, the true speed is only 1x and burning a full disc lasts for 3 hours and few minutes more. The same happens if I burn with Windows 8 Explorer or with other software. I was wondering why these DL discs only burn with 1x speed?
BTW, I’m telling about just these discs, bought a 5-pack some 2 years ago:cool::

I noticed that the latest firmware version for BH10LS30 is 1.01-A0, but haven’t updated yet. And the version history (1.00-09 -> 1.01-A0) won’t tell anything about improvements in RE-media burning.

Have you burned DL Verbatim BD-RE discs with your LG? Any thoughts?

Below are the details (shown by ImgBurn) of the discs.

Verbatim BD-RE SL 25GB 2X details:

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 1.00 (SATA)
Current Profile: BD-RE

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: Yes
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 12 219 392
Size: 25 025 314 816 bytes
Time: 2715:27:17 (MM:SS:FF)
MID: VERBAT-IM0-000
Supported Write Speeds: 2,3x

TOC Information:
Session 1… (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 12219391)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 12219392)

Disc Definition Structure:
Certified: Yes - Full
Scanned: No

BD Disc Information:
Disc ID: VERBAT-IM0-000
Disc Type: BD-RE
Disc Size: 120mm
Disc Class: 0
Disc Version: 2
Number of Layers: 1
Layer Type: Rewritable
DVD Layer Present: No
CD Layer Present: No
Channel Bit Length: 74.50nm (25GB Per Layer)
BCA Present: Yes
Maximum Transfer Rate: Not Specified
First PAA of Data Zone: 131 072
Last PAA of Data Zone: 1 658 494

Format Capacities:
DT: 0x02 - NB: 12219392 (0x00BA7400) - TDP: 0
FT: 0x00 - NB: 11826176 (0x00B47400) - TDP: 12288
FT: 0x01 - NB: 11564032 (0x00B07400) - TDP: 2048
FT: 0x30 - NB: 11826176 (0x00B47400) - TDP: 12288
FT: 0x30 - NB: 11564032 (0x00B07400) - TDP: 20480
FT: 0x30 - NB: 12088320 (0x00B87400) - TDP: 4096
FT: 0x31 - NB: 12219392 (0x00BA7400) - TDP: 2048

Performance (Write Speed):
Descriptor 1…
-> B0: 0x02; B1: 0x00; B2: 0x00; B3: 0x00
-> EL: 12219391 (0x00BA73FF)
-> RS: 35 903 KB/s (8x) - WS: 10 338 KB/s (2,3x)

Verbatim BD-RE DL 50GB 2X details:

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 1.00 (SATA)
Current Profile: BD-RE

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: Yes
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 24Â 307Â 712
Size: 49Â 782Â 194Â 176 bytes
Time: 5401:44:62 (MM:SS:FF)
MID: VERBAT-IM1-000
Supported Write Speeds: 2x

TOC Information:
Session 1… (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 24307711)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 24307712)

Disc Definition Structure:
ISA0 Size: 4Â 096 clustors - Full: No
Certified: No
Scanned: No

BD Disc Information (L0):
Disc ID: VERBAT-IM1-000
Number of Layers: 2
First PAA of Data Zone: 131Â 072
Last PAA of Data Zone: 1Â 658Â 494

BD Disc Information (L1):
Disc ID: VERBAT-IM1-000
Number of Layers: 2
First PAA of Data Zone: 2Â 535Â 808
Last PAA of Data Zone: 4Â 063Â 230

Layer Information:
Layer 0 Sectors: 12Â 219Â 392 (50,27%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 12Â 088Â 320 (49,73%)

Format Capacities:
DT: 0x02 - NB: 24307712 (0x0172E800) - TDP: 4096
FT: 0x00 - NB: 23652352 (0x0168E800) - TDP: 24576
FT: 0x01 - NB: 23259136 (0x0162E800) - TDP: 2048
FT: 0x30 - NB: 23652352 (0x0168E800) - TDP: 24576
FT: 0x30 - NB: 23259136 (0x0162E800) - TDP: 36864
FT: 0x30 - NB: 24307712 (0x0172E800) - TDP: 4096
FT: 0x31 - NB: 24438784 (0x0174E800) - TDP: 2048

Performance (Write Speed):
Descriptor 1…
-> B0: 0x02; B1: 0x00; B2: 0x00; B3: 0x00
-> EL: 24307711 (0x0172E7FF)
-> RS: 21Â 816 KB/s (5x) - WS: 8Â 991 KB/s (2x)

^^ Just wanted to add (to my previous message): From this review you can see that with another brand discs (= TDK BD-RE DL 50GB 2X) 2x write speed is true 2x (burning full disc takes some 91 minutes):

I don’t have TDK discs though.

^^ Updated my drive to the latest firmware (1.01-A0), but it didn’t help with my Verbatim BD-RE DL 50GB 2X writing speed. It still is only 1x. Media info retrieved by DVD Identifier below:

Unique Disc Identifier : [BD-RE-DL:VERBAT-IM1-000]

Disc Type : [BD-RE DL : Class 0 - Version 2]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [VERBAT]
Media Type ID : [IM1]
Product Revision : [000]
Stamper Date : [Not Present On Disc]
Layer Info : [2 Layers (L0-L1) : 25.03 GB (23.31 GiB) Per Layer]
Blank Disc Capacity : [24,438,784 Sectors = 50.05 GB (46.61 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

[QUOTE=HNeck;2676587]Hello!

I bought my LG BH10LS30 about 2 years ago. I then updated to firmware 1.00-09, run MCSE successfully and removed riplock. Because I have several 2 TB hard drives, haven’t actually burned many discs at all since the first tests with my BD-drive.

Anyway, my question is about BD-RE discs and writing speeds. I searched this forum, but couldn’t find too much info about Verbatim dual layer BD-RE media, so I have to ask here. Maybe somebody knows the answer?
…[/QUOTE]

Option 1: Check to see if DVD-RAM/BD-RE Fast Write and BD-R Verify Not Required are enabled: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6232#entry65055

If both are disabled, enable them, and it should speed things up, assuming the drive is actually /trying/ to write to both media at max speed. (2.3x would be an odd speed for the SL media, though that could possibly just be how it writes…).

If both were already enabled?

Option 2: The drive may receive the command to write at 2x if possible, and deems it better to write at 1x. (You can’t do anything about that).

But maybe there’s something else…

Option 3: The discs have been formatted in such a way that the drive is automatically doing in-burn verification. Try to do a full format of each disc using ImgBurn (idea suggested here: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=19748).

Should none of this help: Could you post ImgBurn logs for some of your previous burns with each piece of media?